Tracks Techniques and tactics

• Thread starter Groundfish
  • 37 comments
El Tim,
Yeah, love that track. The uphill sections after turns and uphill turns teach so much.
Ross Bentley mentions prioritizing corners on tracks as most important is fastest turn leading into a straight next fastest etc
Hells corner is super important though because it’s uphill.
The great thing about the vette gr4 is that if you hit that turn right the silly fwd Megane cant catch, hit it wrong with one behind though...It’s curtains.
I was preying on stupidity on that track.
People always try to get inside at the chase which is fine if there’s not another car (me) coming up behind the car you are trying to pass.. I flew by quite a few folks on the way to Murray’s.
If I didn’t complete the overtake on Conrod I’d just focus on flying through the chase and getting inside at Murray’s.
My strength was getting gap before Murray’s then they were catching towards hells but mostly I could get away on mountain straight.
I have hit Murray’s right a few times but not many. Usually I overslow or slide a touch.
Gotta get the power down.
Griffins I was faster than the rcf that ran 11.9 so I was good there.
Thing is to be fast in esses and that last left onto Conrod...to really hit that area well the cars gonna be a bit loose which is sketchy. There’s tons of time if you push the speed but too risky in race imo.
Time trials there are great fun when you see that you are minus more and more
the suspense mounts for each corner.
1-2 more mph apex speed is huge.

Certain cars are better in race...
Certain cars I don’t think the controller guys can get much out of except the very best players.

With the gr4 vette battling the tt and Megane army apex speeds on the bottom of the track are key because acceleration wise you have a disadvantage. But you have a handling advantage so it can cancel that car out.
Mr Bentley seems to have his place right under your pillow. Or is it you, Ross:D?

Mr Bentley seems to have his place right under your pillow. Or is it you, Ross:D?

Shhhh :D
I’ll have to see if I can edit this one race.
3 Megane on me...gap to Murray’s...they close approaching chase...I maintain up to griffins and boom they understeer into wall just behind me as I torque up in 4th. The low growl of the Chevy is nice compared to the Megane annoying buzz.:cheers:

Shhhh :D
I’ll have to see if I can edit this one race.
3 Megane on me...gap to Murray’s...they close approaching chase...I maintain up to griffins and boom they understeer into wall just behind me as I torque up in 4th. The low growl of the Chevy is nice compared to the Megane annoying buzz.:cheers:
As I had only one evening left and I wanted to be competitive I used a TT. Didn't have the time to try some other cars after realizing that my Porsche won't do it. But having created a Lego livery it now is a beloved member of the family...

As I had only one evening left and I wanted to be competitive I used a TT. Didn't have the time to try some other cars after realizing that my Porsche won't do it. But having created a Lego livery it now is a beloved member of the family...

Lol nice.
I take nothing away from those who use fwd. fast is fast. I just don’t prefer them.
I learned the genesis handles tight, but I didn’t put time into extracting potential.
Like I say it takes me so long to get decent and consistent with a car.
There’s a tipping point where just familiarity with the car makes it not worth switching.
It’s a great track to get those shift points just right. Mountain straight is great for that.
I didn’t ever drive Cayman under bop. No bop that’s a great car.
Online I prefer the heavy fr cars.

I was just starting to get the hang of that track at the end. I ran the Alfa there when
I was trying out cars. It's slow on the straights, but a blast going over the mountain. Can be a handful if you don't keep it tight through the esses. Was wondering how someone really fast would do in it.

On another note...everyone has tracks they like, and don't like. Often it has to do with your comfort level, I think. Maybe the top aliens are good at all the tracks, but I'm basically learning the tracks as they come up each week. I'm struggling with pace at Fuji, mostly in the last section, I think. Tight corners always seem to bu my downfall, both in speed, and mistakes. I never use TCS anymore, mostly because I find it to be a crutch that promotes bad driving habits, like mashing the throttle. I had to buy the GT-R that I'm racing this week, and it was my first time in a gr2. I can't count how many times I spun that car in the first few laps I ran. I'm down to a 31 flat now for Q, but my race pace is really more like 32's and 33's when I'm calm and "in the groove". That can easily fall to 34's if I get flustered and start over driving. I think the issue is my braking. I watch videos of fast guys, and they manage to brake much deeper. At Fuji, if I start braking halfway between the 150 marker and the start of the curbing on the left, going into T1, and trail brake perfectly almost to the apex, I can sometimes make it stick, but usually I brake right after the 150 because it's easier to set my speed right, and carry some speed through the corner. I've watched from in car on other drivers there, and it seems they're braking just before the curbing. I try that and I'm off the track.
Any advice?💡

Don't brake where the video replay shows full braking input. Turn the volume right up (to a decent level) and listen to when the driver is getting off the throttle and on to the brake, that is the real braking point. You'll always be braking 10-15m too late if you are waiting for the brake meter to fill up.

Daily race qualifying and the race will be different in speed. First thing is there is no fuel usage in Quali, 0x fuel means the cars are running around without fuel weight in the car, making them faster. 0x tire wear means you will always have the best grip, making for faster corners. As soon as you add tire and fuel wear, the cars will be slower. I was low 29's in quali for Fuji with a fastest lap of 1.30-31 ish, after a 2nd pit stop on RS tires and a slow out-lap.

Don't brake where the video replay shows full braking input. Turn the volume right up (to a decent level) and listen to when the driver is getting off the throttle and on to the brake, that is the real braking point. You'll always be braking 10-15m too late if you are waiting for the brake meter to fill up.

Daily race qualifying and the race will be different in speed. First thing is there is no fuel usage in Quali, 0x fuel means the cars are running around without fuel weight in the car, making them faster. 0x tire wear means you will always have the best grip, making for faster corners. As soon as you add tire and fuel wear, the cars will be slower. I was low 29's in quali for Fuji with a fastest lap of 1.30-31 ish, after a 2nd pit stop on RS tires and a slow out-lap.
I get what you say aboutvtires, but with no fuel usage and my tank showing full, I always assumed that I had a full fuel load, and full weight.

At Kyoto DP Miyabi, I would use the kerbs as POIs. Start turning in for turn 1 when the kerbs on the outside start, and lift off of the throttle when the kerb on the inside begins. Put your foot down again once the outside kerb begins. As for the high-speed esses, come off the throttle when the kerb on the first right-hander starts, and when you reach the apex, give it full power in the left-hander. The turn 4 hairpin is a pain in the arse to get right, and the best braking point is really down to your driving style. I brake at the huge Gran Turismo banner above the track. As it’s a very small braking zone, trail braking is crucial. The chicane, you just come off the throttle and then straight line it all the way home

Not sure whether this works with Gr. 3 (May work with Gr. 1 as they have near infinite downforce) but I know it works with Gr. 4

Last edited:
Back