Transfering data

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gupster74
  • 13 comments
  • 732 views
Messages
87
Excuse my ignorance on this matter but i'm in the process of buying a new PS3 (more storage needed!) and want to transfer my GT5 data and saved progress straight over.
Should i do this via usb storage medium or is it possible to do it directly??
Once again, i apologise for my comical lack of knowledge in this area!!! :dunce::dunce:
 
Gupster74
Excuse my ignorance on this matter but i'm in the process of buying a new PS3 (more storage needed!) and want to transfer my GT5 data and saved progress straight over.
Should i do this via usb storage medium or is it possible to do it directly??
Once again, i apologise for my comical lack of knowledge in this area!!! :dunce::dunce:

Why not just buy a bigger harddrive and upgrade?

To answer your question: yes, you'll have to do it with usb pen or fat32 formatted external harddrive
 
Why not just buy a bigger harddrive and upgrade?

To answer your question: yes, you'll have to do it with usb pen or fat32 formatted external harddrive

Because my old fat ps3 is getting on a bit now and it gets hotter, quicker and its quite noisy these days. I have a lot of progress saved and i would be annoyed beyond belief if it YLOD'd !!!
Is it possible to send data directly???
Cheers for the advice any-hoo!! ;)
 
Gupster74
Because my old fat ps3 is getting on a bit now and it gets hotter, quicker and its quite noisy these days. I have a lot of progress saved and i would be annoyed beyond belief if it YLOD'd !!!
Is it possible to send data directly???
Cheers for the advice any-hoo!! ;)

There is online storage if you're a PSN-Plus member. Or you can "save" it to a secondary acct as well.
 
I did a USB transfer the other day. All that I lost was my photos and my custom tracks.
 
Just out of curiosity, will any decent sized usb storage device work??

I used to attach a 1 terabite disk if I remember correctly, since I only safe 656k I started using a simple stick.
 
You don't need a router. You can Ethernet cable both PS's together and transfer directly from one to another. I did this last week for exactly the same reasons as yourself OP. In the the originating PS XMB menu select data transfer utility and click send. In receiving PS data transfer utility click receive. Data is then copied directly. Did lose pictures and created tracks as well as most thumbnails in my garage- 960 cars!!!!
If you have stealth or chrome line cars you will need to deactivate the originating PS in account settings before sending and then activate the new PS. This will ensure that your stealth/ chrome line are kept ( as well as any purchased and downloaded content for other games)
 
You don't need a router. You can Ethernet cable both PS's together and transfer directly from one to another. I did this last week for exactly the same reasons as yourself OP. In the the originating PS XMB menu select data transfer utility and click send. In receiving PS data transfer utility click receive. Data is then copied directly. Did lose pictures and created tracks as well as most thumbnails in my garage- 960 cars!!!!
If you have stealth or chrome line cars you will need to deactivate the originating PS in account settings before sending and then activate the new PS. This will ensure that your stealth/ chrome line are kept ( as well as any purchased and downloaded content for other games)

That is exactly what you need to do. Forget the router, usb stick, etc., all you need is a network cable. When I did mine it didn't mess up any of my thumbnails or anything, the new PS3 was an exact copy of my old fat PS3. Just to be safe, I would back up my game save to a USB stick before starting. :)
 
That is exactly what you need to do. Forget the router, usb stick, etc., all you need is a network cable. When I did mine it didn't mess up any of my thumbnails or anything, the new PS3 was an exact copy of my old fat PS3. Just to be safe, I would back up my game save to a USB stick before starting. :)

I did this as well and worked fine for me
 
^
Thanks everyone. Will do the network cable route. Sorry for the retarded thread :dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce:
 
BTW G1lly, love the Avatar!!! Did you watch the film?………
A…M…A…Z…I…N…G !!!!
 
Back