Triple screen advantage..

• Thread starter decho
  • 52 comments
Another advantage that I find very useful is being able to see ahead into the next corner. It helps greatly for accident awareness and avoidance.

So any idea how powerful of a PC one would need to run triple-monitors @60+ FPS on a visually demanding track (Spa?).

I suppose answers are on the iracing forum, but to get there one has to sign up first, and I'd like to have an idea about the size of monetary commitments necessary to sign-up.

My PC can handle that at 5760x1080. I don't drop below my locked 84fps at Spa or Suzuka.

i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz (you could get away with i5 2500k)
Radeon 7970 (you could likely get a 7950 or GTX 670)

That's the most important factors, the rest is simple, 8GB+ RAM, a decently fast hard drive (SSD preferred by many), etc, etc.

Nice thing about ATI cards they are very affordable. I was peeping that 7950 when I thought I would need a new video card. I personally think this is a very important upgrade. I look forward to the next season. :dopey:

My PC can handle that at 5760x1080. I don't drop below my locked 84fps at Spa or Suzuka.

i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz (you could get away with i5 2500k)
Radeon 7970 (you could likely get a 7950 or GTX 670)

That's the most important factors, the rest is simple, 8GB+ RAM, a decently fast hard drive (SSD preferred by many), etc, etc.
Thanks. The major question is whether I go for a set-up that's moderately adequate right now, or for something that might last me longer.

This week I went triple screen and, well, wow... Nice... :-)

I had a spare 19" monitor and so bought another identical monitor cheap off ebay. I then found I needed to upgrade my graphics card, but with that I then set it up using a 23" 16:9 centre monitor with two 19" 4:3 monitors to the sides - using softth. I've set it up with the proper calculated FOV which actually means I see slightly less than with the FOV I had with a single screen as I sit quite a way back from the monitors (for now at least). But now it feels more like I'm in the car with elevation changes more pronounced, having to turn my head a little to see the apexes and scenery wizzing by in my peripheral vision. Cool. Of course now I've got it set up I'm thinking I should now go and buy 3 new and larger monitors to get an even better triple screen experience. The whole point of the exercise was that I had a spare monitor and could go triple screen on the cheap. Not working out like that. lol

Back to the original question in this thread, my initial impression is that I have a better idea of what the car is doing because the display is just that much bigger - I'm seeing the car going into a slide sooner and therefore more likely to catch it. Whether that'll convert into better lap times only time will tell.

Wow, it's been a while since I've bought a PC. All these different numbers for video cards is confusing. What would be the best value for the money for running 3 screens at decent quality levels? My laptop runs iRacing at level 2 I believe. That would be good enough. the option to upgrade in the future by adding a second card in sli or crossfire would be appealing.

Is this card good: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=61903&vpn=HD695XCDFC&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1254

When I thought I would need a new video card I finally decided on ordering the 7950 from newegg because it was only like $200 after rebates. I'd assume it's more powerful than the 6950

edit: Hm, 7950 appears to be $350+ on newegg. I guess I was going to order the 6950

Grats Marky! Hope you have your fov set wide enough so you can see guys to your sides. I'd move closer to the screen if possible if that's not the case

Last edited:
I really wish triple screens was an option for me. I've been trying to get into iRacing and I just can't get around the inability to look into the apexes. Maybe a TrackIR type thing is what I need to try.

I hope some are still watching this old thread, but I'm about to pull the trigger on 3x screens and wonder if you guys who have been doing it for awhile know of any cheap alternatives for stands that go with racing chassis (straddle the chassis and lower than an average desk)

I've been looking at the GT omega triple stand: http://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-racing-en/gt-omega-triple-monitor-stand-v3?page=5

And 3 cheap Asus 23.6" monitors at about 159 each...

The stand is the wildcard as I could just use milk crates with a board but I don't want it to look getto...

And I want to get as close to 179 degree as possible so the screens will need to be right up close to my head, perspectively correct is important to me as I race cars in real life, and I wonder if this could double as more of a training tool tool of sorts...

I hope some are still watching this old thread, but I'm about to pull the trigger on 3x screens and wonder if you guys who have been doing it for awhile know of any cheap alternatives for stands that go with racing chassis (straddle the chassis and lower than an average desk)

I've been looking at the GT omega triple stand: http://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-racing-en/gt-omega-triple-monitor-stand-v3?page=5

And 3 cheap Asus 23.6" monitors at about 159 each...

The stand is the wildcard as I could just use milk crates with a board but I don't want it to look getto...

And I want to get as close to 179 degree as possible so the screens will need to be right up close to my head, perspectively correct is important to me as I race cars in real life, and I wonder if this could double as more of a training tool tool of sorts...
http://shop.sim-seats.com/Standalone-Monitor-Mount-SS-10-SAMM.htm This is probably the best bang for your buck.

Any thoughts on monitors? I already have one of these and thought I might add 2 more but the bezels aren't that slim... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BZNDS0/?tag=gtplanet-20

VESA mountable is a bit of a trick with these smaller screens too but the monitor I have is quite nice!
That would be your cheapest bet. Im not really up on the latest and greatest in monitors, but from what I see seems fine. If you like the one you got and have no issues with it no reason 3 wouldn't be better. :cheers:

I really wish triple screens was an option for me. I've been trying to get into iRacing and I just can't get around the inability to look into the apexes. Maybe a TrackIR type thing is what I need to try.

If you can deal with the lower resolution, Oculus DK2 might be a solution for you.

I was a single screen 3D Vision user who highly suspected single screen FOV was a huge disadvantage. And in my time with DK2 and LFS, it's surprised me how much easier it is to drive this way. I can't wait till iracing updates with DK2 support, because I'm positive I'm going to take a giant leap forward. It's not going to make you an alien (if you don't have the skills), but it removes the massive handicap that a single monitor saddles you with.

Extra screens simply make it much easier to see someone trying to overtake and aid you in overtaking. You most likely will remain consistent lap time wise however close racing gets easier.
I hope there's a good amount of truth in this.

I always qualify better than I race and I'm convinced a good part of this is down to having very little confidence in the positioning of my car in relation to others. On a single screen they're out of my vision for a significant amount of time and so I find myself having to assume the worst case scenario and leave them an overly generous amount of space. I'd so like to run them a lot tighter in the corners but i never know if it's safe to or not. I lose, or fail to gain, lots of positions based on this problem.

Thank you! I've never seen that one and it appears perfect for my needs.
I went to order this today, realized they are showing a picture of a 3x mount but it was only a single... Selecting 3x and it jumps to 269... :( "milk crates" with boards, or a hight adjustable curved desk might be a more versatile option...

I hope there's a good amount of truth in this.

I always qualify better than I race and I'm convinced a good part of this is down to having very little confidence in the positioning of my car in relation to others. On a single screen they're out of my vision for a significant amount of time and so I find myself having to assume the worst case scenario and leave them an overly generous amount of space. I'd so like to run them a lot tighter in the corners but i never know if it's safe to or not. I lose, or fail to gain, lots of positions based on this problem.

Do it! You're a super dirty driver currently, so god knows you need all the help you can get!!!!! :)

I went to order this today, realized they are showing a picture of a 3x mount but it was only a single... Selecting 3x and it jumps to 269... :( "milk crates" with boards, or a hight adjustable curved desk might be a more versatile option...
:embarrassed: Sorry I thought when I selected the 3 screen option it would link to that. That is still about the best price for a good triple mount. Most want hundreds more.

How is this monitor for a triple screen setup?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITORMDC/?tag=gtplanet-20

Pros:
Very thin bezel (11.5 millimeters?)
Dirt cheap for a 27"
4ms response (fair, not great)
Highly favorable reviews accross the board
Low power consumption
VESA mountable
Cheap, cheap, only 199 ea. Shipped... was a $300-$400 panel a bit over a year ago... Had to say it twice :P

Cons:
Low resolution for a 27" display
VA panel (subjective to some extent)

I just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions before pulling the trigger on $600 (including shipping) of monitors... Sure it's not much, but if there are any issues it's 3x a problem...

Thanks for any feedback!

Back