Triple screen advantage..

• Thread starter decho
  • 52 comments
decho_
I was wondering how much is a triple screen advantage over one screen..? how many of you drive whit one screen..?

3 screens and pressure based brake are critical enhancements you can make. They both make a huge difference to your iRacing (and sim racing) fun.

Must agree with the 3 screen comments. I was one who thought it was like having a timex or a rolex they will both tell time one just looks better. Man was I wrong, it is a huge advantage being able to see the apex of every corner.

It also makes for much better side-by-side racing.

But remember, it's not only about having triple screens, it's about how you have those triple screens setup. You want to get them as close to you as you can and have them surround your field of view so you can be close to 180 degrees in-game view.

My center screen is 18" from my eyes and the outer screens are around a 60 degree angle, this puts me "in the game" because my entire field of vision is taken up by the video.

I was experimenting last week with my 3 55" HDTV's and I positioned them at almost 90 degrees. I think actually closer to about 80 something, the small protractor I have is not that accurate. Anyways I was blown away by how much more immersive this felt. Much more like having side windows and when the car rolled or yawed it was amazingly real.

If you do it right, you could have a triple screen setup for $400 or less.

3x 4:3 17-19" screens from Craigslist or whatever local used ones you can find, and then a $150 video card. It would still be way better than a single 24" or 27" or whatever monitor.

Without a doubt, its such a huge advantage. Like any meaningful upgrade to your driving setup, its takes a bit to adjust, but once you do, it is fantastic.

It's not an advantage IMO. Just like getting a higher quality wheel, triple screens mostly add to the immersion and fun. I never had problems seeing the apex with one screen so I never understoof that. People are probably just using a bad FOV if they are having trouble seeing the road with one screen.

The only time I've noticed it helping me to have the extra screens is when someone is trying to pass me on the inside and is about to overshoot their line. You usually have little time to react to this seituation even when you do see it though.

If by "bad FOV" you mean the CORRECT FOV, yes, people are using a "bad FOV" on single screens. By using artificially increased FOV on a single screen setup, you are screwing up the view from inside the car. I know most people here are probably accustomed to GT5's cockpit view which gives you the same FOV regardless of your screen size or the distance from it. But it isn't technically correct to do it that way, when you have a game in which you can actually adjust the FOV, having the correct FOV gives you the best sense of distances to on track objects (like apexes).

This is an entirely independent subject that could be discussed in depth on its own. But the simple fact is triple screens will give you a better feel for the track and better situational awareness.

Triple screens allows you to have a true correct FOV that is much larger than a single screen FOV will ever get you.

The aliens will be aliens regardless of what gear they are using. For most of us normal sim racers, we need that extra peripheral vision. Hugo Luis is always at the front, people don't go side by side with him, LOL.

I was experimenting last week with my 3 55" HDTV's and I positioned them at almost 90 degrees. I think actually closer to about 80 something, the small protractor I have is not that accurate. Anyways I was blown away by how much more immersive this felt. Much more like having side windows and when the car rolled or yawed it was amazingly real.

I'm sure its more immersive for the sense of depth but does it actually make you faster? ... I have a 32 inch tv about 2 feet from my face... 3 screens is cool but I have no room or desire for 3 of them.... I just doubt it would be make me personally any faster.

I struggle with my laptimes constantly and I doubt having more peripheral vision would make any difference, I can already use MotionCockpit view to look into the apexes for me if I want that.

I'm not saying I will never get 3 screens... I'm just saying it seems like a huge waste of money for short term gain.

I'm sure its more immersive for the sense of depth but does it actually make you faster? ... I have a 32 inch tv about 2 feet from my face... 3 screens is cool but I have no room or desire for 3 of them.... I just doubt it would be make me personally any faster.

I struggle with my laptimes constantly and I doubt having more peripheral vision would make any difference, I can already use MotionCockpit view to look into the apexes for me if I want that.

I'm not saying I will never get 3 screens... I'm just saying it seems like a huge waste of money for short term gain.

If you start spending tons of money on sim racing gear to make you faster, you are just going to end up disappointed, bitter, and have a lighter wallet.

I doubt three screens (or five) made me any faster than I was, but it increased my enjoyment of the game exponentially! This meant I spent more time playing which in turn made me faster.

So indirectly, it made me faster. But no, no amount of money spent on sim gear is going to make us faster, but it will increase the immersion and enjoyment levels I believe.

I use to think the exact same way you do, until I got 3 screens. It is incredible. The only way for you to know if it will make you faster is to try it. BTW I didn't mean to get 3 screens until the second one literally fell onto my lap. :)

Extra screens simply make it much easier to see someone trying to overtake and aid you in overtaking. You most likely will remain consistent lap time wise however close racing gets easier.

You can experiment with dual screen like I have then upgrade to triple. I got all my extra monitors free so that part is not so bad. The main issue is the video card. Ati cards are nice for triple eyefinity but Nvidia wants money for triple screen tech atm.

Note it becomes easier to run correct fov with multiple screens. Take a skippy. Running correct fov on a triple ypu can see your tires and mirrors to the side.

An alien tho is so fast and gods gift to man so they start pole and run road courses so they can get by with single plus when they overtake it happens quick. Now ovals is more complicated where they can run 3 wide

I think 5 screens would be more ideal. I am thinking bout ovals so i can see how far guys are too my side. I await proper virtual reality. Then virtual racing will be safer for all of us snd our safety ratings

Last edited:
Been racing on a single 32'' LCD since starting on iRacing.
This weekend I got 3x 24'' monitors but unfortunately won't be running all 3 for another week or two(need to upgrade PC too).
The only other downside so far is that I'll be offline for a week because I need to re-build my rig to handle three monitors, but after that... :D

One funny thing- I'm able to run triple screens with a single 560 ti video card. It just so happens I am using a PC motherboard with onboard video (Gigabyte z68AP-D3). So I hookup my extra screen to that and hookup the other 2 screens to my video card. So in the end it cost me nothing at all to go triple. Note- I play iRacing in windowed mode so I can overlay it with iSpeed. ispeed allows users to pull out the bits of info they need. I use it to monitor my fuel & RPM

Next I would like to run a USB monitor like Darren (left888) one day

I made this post to give folks hope that going triple screen might be more affordable then you think. I spent a total of $0 to go triple

I got my 3 screens going :D and everyone is right... 3 screens is awesome !!
I'm still adjusting but I think it will be an advantage in the end, you can just see so much more, I think it gives you a bit more confidence to attack every corner, go wheel to wheel a bit easier, but mostly it just looks cool :)

I'm hoping that now that multi-screen gaming is getting more popular that manufacturers will start releasing semi-affordable single screen solutions. There was that Alienware curved screen but it was like $3k if I remember correctly. Would be nice if they came out with a 5760x1080 screen with 23" x3 equivalent size for about a $1000, I think that would sell well.

I'm hoping that now that multi-screen gaming is getting more popular that manufacturers will start releasing semi-affordable single screen solutions. There was that Alienware curved screen but it was like $3k if I remember correctly. Would be nice if they came out with a 5760x1080 screen with 23" x3 equivalent size for about a $1000, I think that would sell well.

yes, that would be sweet! I think I saw thta thread with the curved Alienware screen (or another company). It was heavy, too, sumfink like 60lbs! I would love to see a newer LCD version with less weight and smaller footprint. I am not technically-inclined so I would seriously consider buying a simple plug and play 3-screen option in one big monitor using the latest screen tech at a pricepoint of ~$1000.
:)

^^ That is indeed mind-boggling, especially given that consoles can run triple screen game-play too these days. I'm gonna be setting up triple screens in a few months and have chosen to go with the Asus VE278Q, already got one at the beginning of the year... it really is an amazing monitor and lives up to all the positive reviews, and seen many people with them in triple setup.

Now one of the good things about this monitor is that the bezels are very small (if not the smallest in the price range) but I've been scouring the web for info on removing the bezels of this monitor or any of the other newer Asus LED monitors... but have come up empty handed essentially. Can anyone tell me WHY this is not being done by people. I've seen some vids and tutorials with other monitors, but there really is a lack of info around the newer LED's. In particular I just want to get an idea of the design in which plastic is clipped together, it would just be way it easier to use the proper angle of prying direction.

I know that 99% of LED's are in actually "Edge Lit", in comparison to many pure LCD's which have light emitting from the back of the panel, so there is a lot plastic around the sides with nothing behind them really. But even with the generously thin bezel on the Asus there should still be some benefit (even if very very little) ... mainly from overlapping the sides screens behind the center.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has a good bookmark of a tutorial or something. I obviously just want an idea of what the bare panel looks like so I can judge where and how to start the prying, it will most likely be starting from the top just beside the corners and being very careful not to push down towards the panel much, just like few tutorials I've watched. It's just the edge lit part of the Asus I'm worried about because it so well designed that it's no more than 1mm behind the bezel. I'm almost thinking very carefully using a dremel tool as a good option.

So ya, if anyone's got some helpful links I'd appreciate it. If not I'll probably be trying my luck with this after testing the two new monitors for a month for general fault or performance issues.

Last edited:
One funny thing- I'm able to run triple screens with a single 560 ti video card. It just so happens I am using a PC motherboard with onboard video (Gigabyte z68AP-D3). So I hookup my extra screen to that and hookup the other 2 screens to my video card. So in the end it cost me nothing at all to go triple. Note- I play iRacing in windowed mode so I can overlay it with iSpeed. ispeed allows users to pull out the bits of info they need. I use it to monitor my fuel & RPM

Next I would like to run a USB monitor like Darren (left888) one day

I made this post to give folks hope that going triple screen might be more affordable then you think. I spent a total of $0 to go triple

You have 3 screens running with the 560 ti? and in SLI? If so that's amazing. I have the GTX 570 and I need 2 of them to run in SLI for iRacing. Something sounds weird here but I'll take your word for it. As far as running a small monitor for iSpeed you only need to spend $70 or so on those little 7" jobies. :) If you have an old monitor kicking around just get one of those USB convertors and that should work.

Keep in mind sometimes they are a pain to get started, you have your 3 mains in SLI and when windows starts up the first couple times it doesn't know what to do with the USB monitor. You don't calibrate it with nVidia but you let windows set it up.

Keep in mind sometimes they are a pain to get started, you have your 3 mains in SLI and when windows starts up the first couple times it doesn't know what to do with the USB monitor. You don't calibrate it with nVidia but you let windows set it up.

^ This is the case for me too.

I reckon 1 out of 5 times when I boot the PC, I have to reboot again to get the correct display! Sometimes it defaults to one monitor (the left one), sometimes the USB monitors are 'off'.

A bit of a pain but nothing a reboot doesn't sort and as Darren said, once you're up-and-running, it's all good 👍

Yep I only have 1 560 ti video card in which only powers 2 of my monitors. The only reason I can run 3 monitors is because my motherboard also has onboard video. So the 3rd screen is connected to it. I guess I can get away with this because I am running iRacing in windowed mode. My motherboard actually doesn't support SLI (just Crossfire). The lowest I've seen it dip is like 70 but usually I am well over 100 fps. Eventually I think I'd like to upgrade to a 670 ti or a top of the line ATI card that can support 5 screens. But for now this method works great :dopey:

Last night had a race at Watkins Glen. Lo and behlnd, there's some nut case that decides to come jump into my lane like I'm not even there. Luckily I saw him coming at me on my left screen and braced my car for impact. Managed to hold it steady and watched him gloriously hit the barrier. This felt very awesome because last season at Watkins Glen I was the one that got wrecked like that (see 30 seconds into my iSurvived vid). Back then I only used a single screen so if someone pulled a move like that I would wreck cause I had no idea they were slamming into me.

That would be awesome. I was so disappointed to see the Alienware screen sell for so much. If they could make the price more affordable it would be great.

Back