Trophy participation percentages

United States
United States
Rarely even look at the darn things, but in a spare minute went into my trophy section and looked at them.

Pretty worrying stats, I'd say! Let's look at a few:

This Is The Start
trophy_bronze.png

Created a new driver in Career and signed your first contract... Common 69.8% (A whole 30% of players never did any Career?)

I'm Seasoned
trophy_bronze.png

Completed the first season... Rare 24.4% (barely a third of who started a career finished even one season?)

Snap Snap Snap
trophy_bronze.png

Taken a photo in photo mode... Very Rare 11.7% (seems a whole lot of dev time on a feature 11% use?)

Results Are In, You're Clean!
trophy_bronze.png

Finished 1st in an online race over 5 laps without making contact ...Ultra Rare 2.8% (This I can believe!)

Done One Online
trophy_bronze.png

Completed your first online race... Very Rare 13.1% (so 30% never did one career event and 87% never did one single online event?)

Am I missing something here? Am I reading the trophies wrong?

Yes I noticed that also some time ago. I guess lots of people picked the game up when it was released and ditched it as it was too buggy or too difficult.

Different people play the game different ways.

I haven't touched the career mode, save for starting one race just to see if it worked (this was before release) because the 'offline racing' portion of pCARS1 and 2 have been of no interest to me. As for online racing, I race solely within a league and we run our own rules for contact/penalties etc so none of the in-game stat monitoring or trophies will monitor that either. I am still "U" class and barely over 1500 (I only gained some rating because I had a bit of fun with a couple of friends and we forgot to turn the rating off), despite having raced multiple times a week for well over a year. As such, folk like myself would never show up on those trophy stats as having done an online race, or raced clean etc. .

As for trophies/achievements, I've been re-playing Wolfenstein: The New Order again recently and just looked at the achievements for that. 7% of players haven't completed the very opening level, which serves more of a "get used to the controls" process than anything else. A quarter of people failed to get through the 4th level and less than 50% of people that bought the game have finished it. Maybe a bunch of people bought the game and didn't like what they were playing, which is going to happen with any game. Sadly, the stats/achievements/trophies don't tell you why somebody didn't accomplish something, they only tell you that they didn't.

Rarely even look at the darn things, but in a spare minute went into my trophy section and looked at them.

This Is The Start
trophy_bronze.png

Created a new driver in Career and signed your first contract... Common 69.8% (A whole 30% of players never did any Career?)

I'm Seasoned
trophy_bronze.png

Completed the first season... Rare 24.4% (barely a third of who started a career finished even one season?)

Snap Snap Snap
trophy_bronze.png

Taken a photo in photo mode... Very Rare 11.7% (seems a whole lot of dev time on a feature 11% use?)

trophy_bronze.png

Finished 1st in an online race over 5 laps without making contact ...Ultra Rare 2.8% (This I can believe!)

Plenty of people will use it just for lapping or for customer races, and these stats are not that odd for racing titles, F1 2018 only saw 20% of people complete a season.

Done One Online
trophy_bronze.png

Completed your first online race... Very Rare 13.1% (so 30% never did one career event and 87% never did one single online event?)

Again not that odd, F1 2018 only managed 10% and even in GTS (a title of which the focus is firmly on-line) only 38% of people have watched the three short videos require to race on-line!

The simple truth of the matter is that the vast majority of players who buy titles only play them for a very short time before moving onto the next things. PC2's numbers are neither surprising or new

I understand that other games suffer the same participation gaps. Kudosprime's stats on GTS are pretty grim, too.

But I often read about sales figures as if they are any kind of arbiter of success, and these figures seem to say the exact opposite. A tiny few remain playing. Lately, online in the US is a desert after 10PM CST on PS4. Less than 20 rooms up is now the norm.

But the games keep seeming to be designed the same each reiteration. Shouldn't the participation at the trophy level (not as a hunt for trophies, but simply a scoring mechanism for how many players play it long enough to register) be the model for design?

I don't have PC1, would anyone still running it boot it up and check the percentages for the trophies? It might be fascinating to see whether participation online or completion of events has risen or fallen between the two titles. Obviously, we aren't going to get a total played, but just the percentages could offer us insight into whether the changes made in PC2 have helped or hurt...

I don't even pay for psn, not interested in on-line racing so i am in that 87%.

However i got 81% of trophies, basically almost all the ones achievable offline.

This Is The Start
trophy_bronze.png

I'm Seasoned
trophy_bronze.png

Snap Snap Snap
trophy_bronze.png

trophy_bronze.png

Done One Online
trophy_bronze.png

The only trophy I definitely have of that lot is Snap Snap Snap, and that's only because of the PCars 2 CRAP Club otherwise I wouldn't bother with photo mode. I might have "This is the Start" as I do remember creating a driver.

I don't race online, nor do I have the time for the career mode. PCars 2 is a sandbox game and I treat it as such, simply doing what I want to do - which is mostly hotlapping and the occasional custom race.

So what's so worrying about that?

I have all the trophies besides the amount of races online I think, but I am not even close to the most frequent player of the game. I would have to check how many hours I have played but my guess is somewhere around 250 hours of which 95% offline.

As in all other games trophy participation is a bad indicator. Every offline singleplayer game can show you those numbers and with a game that has the amount of options PC2 has it makes sense people don't get the trophies in every game mode. Of course it would have been a better result if numbers within a game mode would be closer, especially for a game that requires some grinding. I agree that there are some worrying percentages but I can't see a lot of shockers in there.

I see no issue here. I have games which I bought for some reason which I totally forgot about and never played and with my limited free time I doubt I’ll ever play them.

So, replies from people that buy games but never play them, replies from people that never race online, never do career, and basically hotlap only...

Kind of makes you wonder why SMS bother with an online, or a career mode..! I mean, for a feature less than 15% of players even complete ONE online race, all this effort? Perhaps this is why the devs really don't seem to care all that much about the niggles that plague online!

When so few of your customers even complete ONE online race, why bother to make it work well? LOL

So, replies from people that buy games but never play them, replies from people that never race online, never do career, and basically hotlap only...

Kind of makes you wonder why SMS bother with an online, or a career mode..! I mean, for a feature less than 15% of players even complete ONE online race, all this effort? Perhaps this is why the devs really don't seem to care all that much about the niggles that plague online!

When so few of your customers even complete ONE online race, why bother to make it work well? LOL

Because there are people who only do online or career? Look at Black Ops 4 for example, Activision (or whatever company is making CoD games nowadays) decided not to have single player in the game so that they can allocate resources on the battle royale mode. Several people announced that they won’t buy the game this time, but Activision calculated that more people will buy their game because of the new mode.

If SMS sacrificed Career mode to provide better online experience then maybe more people would play online but they would lose customers who are only playing the game for career only. I mostly play hotlap or AI race, so these changes wouldn’t affect me at all.

I've played the game on and off since buying it last year, but I haven't touched the career and online. For me it has been all about solo practice sessions, custom race weekends and quick races. I don't think it's something to worry about.

Different people play the game different ways.

Maybe it's telling that stats that track achievement outside of Career or Online don't tend to concentrate on much other than odd things, not participation numbers.

While I agree that there are people that don't play any career or any online, the stats just don't seem to exist to show what percentage they are. It might be very telling to see them, and for SMS to see exactly how all their players use the game, to perhaps help them better prioritize the features to the majority, not the minority.

A stat showing hours playing the game per week in ANY mode, and hours playing offline, online and career individually might help us all to see whether we are the exception or the rule...

Speaking of trophies, I took my first (and only) picture today, and the ‘Snap, Snap, Snap’ achievement didn’t unlock. :confused:

Back