Trusted racing game reviews

• Thread starter Tristan H
  • 8 comments
Australia
Australia
I've noticed that popular game reviewers often do a terrible job of reviewing racing games, particularly those that are more sim-like.

There are number of reasons for this that I can identify:
  • Sims are often not focused on a long career progression, as this is more of a "game" thing.
  • Sims are often quite difficult, and some reviewers give up playing before getting to really understand and enjoy the game.
  • Reviewers come with their own pre-conceived ideas of what a particular car should feel like, whether or not they have ever driven it in real life. Sometimes these preconceptions may even come from other games they have played. If the game in question doesn't match those preconceptions it might be considered bad.
That all being said. Are there any good reviewers or review sites that you can recommend that do a good job of reviewing a broad range of racing games/sims?

Your on it mate :gtpflag:

Other than that, jump on U-toob :) type in the sim/review your after & you'll probably start to getting to know a few of the same people doing the reviews.

Here's a few people to look at

Sim racing paddock
Jimmy broadbent
Gamermuscle
SuperGT
RaceDepartment
Inside sim racing
SimRacing604
Chris haye
Billy strange racing
A random callsign
Sim uk

Hope this helps mate :)

Last edited:
Thanks @Mr Grumpy.

I have come across a lot of those channels already and they are helpful. I am however a console gamer, whereas a lot of that content is focused on PCs.

On consoles I think sims are even more likely to be poorly reviewed. Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo is a prime example. Because the PC port was pretty poor, it got terrible reviews on consoles and on PC.

I don't want to miss out on hidden gems like SLRE. I'm hoping there is a review resource out there that could help me.

Operation Sports (just google that name, it's another forum) has some decent reviews (by staff and users) and most are for consoles. It's not a review site per se, but I tend to trust people who actually play the game than just get it to review it.

I certainly watch/read a few reviews to get a feel of a game but mainly just tend to read and listen to opinions here @GTPLANET as this is where all the passion is for our beloved racing games. Everything good or bad gets picked to pieces here & I find it's more than enough to make an informed decision

Failrace reviews a few games every now and then and they all seem well balanced. A lot of the YouTube reviewers are overly happy to have early access/a free game.

I certainly watch/read a few reviews to get a feel of a game but mainly just tend to read and listen to opinions here @GTPLANET as this is where all the passion is for our beloved racing games. Everything good or bad gets picked to pieces here & I find it's more than enough to make an informed decision
Good call. I don't know if I would have found Enthusia, Milestone WRC games and SLRE, and Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends without GTPlanet.

I got some great responses when asking about the best wheel games for the PS2, PS3 and PS4. I guess I just need to keep asking the forum to make sure I don't miss any new games.

Reviewers that post " I got invited to " videos along side reviews are imo useless.
gtplanet.
bsimracing.
teamvvv.
These sites look out for players,Not themselves.

Last edited:
Back