Trustmaster T80 Wheel Discussion, Q&A

• Thread starter EmaNymton
  • 23 comments
Austria
Vienna
Ema-Nymton
I was new in the Thrustmaster T300RS-thread and I asked questions that may have been answered somewhere else already, but couldn't find the answers.
This is why I want to open this thread for the Thrustmaster T80 wheel, as nobody else seems to have done, maybe due to:

I guess that would depend on what your looking for out of a wheel. If its 200 degrees rotation and a bungiecord for a centering spring, this would do nicely. If you want ffb and 900 degrees rotation, then this thing is junk.

Acceptable 5 to 10 years ago. This truly is caca now. Love how our hobbie is regressing, triple display goes bye bye on consoles, force feedback goes bye bye, basically thank god for PC. Pretty soon no pedals or wheels, just moving your hands in the air.

I currently play GT6 on my PS3 with a Logitech Driving Force EX (2 pedals only, no clutch, and I can pull the FF cable because I prefer to play w/o FF).
Anticipating Drive Club and Project Cars, I bought a PS4 and a T300RS.
After I installed the T300RS on my PS3 I was completely shocked about
1.) the strenght of the FF (even in position 1 FF is WAY TOO STRONG (for me));
2.) the rotation angle 1080 degrees leeds to situations where I have to steer cross-handed through hairpins or even change the grip! Currently you can change the wheels angle of rotation (see description below), but that doesn't work properly in GT6, as you have to re-do it again each time you start a new game or even if you just restart the current race!!!
3.) The resistance of the pedals is way too high (for me), coming from Logitech where there is nearly no resistance at all and even in my real life car, the resistance of the pedals is much lower.
After driving 20-30 minutes using the T300RS, I have cramps in my arms and feet and even holding the car on a straight road isn't easy, given the strenght of the FF.
My main 2 questions were now:
1.) Does anybody know a way to reduce the strenght of the pedals-resistance to a normal level?
2.) Does anybody know a way to reduce the strenght of the FF (a possibility to switch off FF alltogether would just be great and I would owe the person a :cheers:
3.) Changing the wheels angle of rotation is a GT6-problem as I understand (see Note 2 at the bottom of the picture below; I managed to change it to 270 degrees but with this setting no car is driveable!). This may be better resolved in DriveClub and Project Cars!?
In short: I would like to behave the T300RS (or any other wheel???) very similar (or the same) as the Logitech Driving Force EX.
Anybody can assist me to achieve that?
P.S.: I definitely don't miss the clutch pedal as I most of the time drive with Automatic, and for shifting with the paddles... who needs a clutch pedal?
Thank you very much in advance!

To which I got the following, very helpful reply:

Sounds to me like you purchased the wrong wheel. You probably should of just got yourself a Thrustmaster T80. It has everything your looking for. No FFB, 240 degrees rotation and very weak pedals. All for about a third of what you spent. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JDYMQ9C/?tag=gtplanet-20

I now ordered the T80 from Amazon on Saturday morning 01:40 for 88,64 € and got the shipping notice the same Saturday 22:34 (!), not even 21 hours later.

Meanwhile (opposed to the massive negative critics on that wheel), I have also seen some positive reviews on YouTube about it, and now I just want to share experience, opinions and Q&A about it with everyone who feels like having to say something about it.

Special thanks once more to fatkrakr, who showed me this wheel which (as I hope and expect) will be exactly what I wanted and Need!

I was new in the Thrustmaster T300RS-thread and I asked questions that may have been answered somewhere else already, but couldn't find the answers.
This is why I want to open this thread for the Thrustmaster T80 wheel, as nobody else seems to have done, maybe due to:

I currently play GT6 on my PS3 with a Logitech Driving Force EX (2 pedals only, no clutch, and I can pull the FF cable because I prefer to play w/o FF).
2.) the rotation angle 1080 degrees leeds to situations where I have to steer cross-handed through hairpins or even change the grip! Currently you can change the wheels angle of rotation (see description below), but that doesn't work properly in GT6, as you have to re-do it again each time you start a new game or even if you just restart the current race!!!
3.) The resistance of the pedals is way too high (for me), coming from Logitech where there is nearly no resistance at all and even in my real life car, the resistance of the pedals is much lower.
After driving 20-30 minutes using the T300RS, I have cramps in my arms and feet and even holding the car on a straight road isn't easy, given the strenght of the FF.
1.) Does anybody know a way to reduce the strenght of the pedals-resistance to a normal level?
2.) Does anybody know a way to reduce the strenght of the FF (a possibility to switch off FF alltogether would just be great and I would owe the person a :cheers:
3.) Changing the wheels angle of rotation is a GT6-problem as I understand (see Note 2 at the bottom of the picture below; I managed to change it to 270 degrees but with this setting no car is driveable!). This may be better resolved in DriveClub and Project Cars!?
In short: I would like to behave the T300RS (or any other wheel???) very similar (or the same) as the Logitech Driving Force EX.
P.S.: I definitely don't miss the clutch pedal as I most of the time drive with Automatic, and for shifting with the paddles... who needs a clutch pedal?

I now ordered the T80 from Amazon on Saturday morning 01:40 for 88,64 € and got the shipping notice the same Saturday 22:34 (!), not even 21 hours later.

Meanwhile (opposed to the massive negative critics on that wheel), I have also seen some positive reviews on YouTube about it, and now I just want to share experience, opinions and Q&A about it with everyone who feels like having to say something about it.

Special thanks once more to fatkrakr, who showed me this wheel which (as I hope and expect) will be exactly what I wanted and Need!

Just a thought here.

1 When using GT6 did you try adjusting the new Force Feedback Sensitivity setting in GT6 in addition to the strength?

2 Did you check the power steering setting in wheel options? If the setting is turned on it will be easier to turn the wheel but when off it can require a lot more strength.

3 Eat more raw steak ;)

Just a thought here.

1 When using GT6 did you try adjusting the new Force Feedback Sensitivity setting in GT6 in addition to the strength?

2 Did you check the power steering setting in wheel options? If the setting is turned on it will be easier to turn the wheel but when off it can require a lot more strength.

3 Eat more raw steak ;)

ad 1) and 2)
These Options were not yet on when I first plugged my (1st) T300RS into my PS4, that was before V 1.12.
And I did not try (yet) with the 2nd T300RS which is still in it's original packing.
I first want to try what the T80 offers, and maybe if I don't like it...

ad 3) Good Point! I love Steaks!

ad 1) and 2)
These Options were not yet on when I first plugged my (1st) T300RS into my PS4, that was before V 1.12.
And I did not try (yet) with the 2nd T300RS which is still in it's original packing.
I first want to try what the T80 offers, and maybe if I don't like it...

ad 3) Good Point! I love Steaks!

I don't understand, I thought you said in the other thread you purchased the Logitech G27 first, then returned it immediately for the T300RS after you found out PS4 will not support it... why would you purchase it 2 T300's?

As @JohnSchoonBeard said make sure you try again and that the new FFB-settings in GT6's (on PS3 :dunce:) are to their lowest.

(Im Schnellmenü Force-Feedback "Max. Drehmoment" und Force-Feedback "Empfindlichkeit" beide runter auf 1)

I don't understand, I thought you said in the other thread you purchased the Logitech G27 first, then returned it immediately for the T300RS after you found out PS4 will not support it... why would you purchase it 2 T300's?

As @JohnSchoonBeard said make sure you try again and that the new FFB-settings in GT6's (on PS3 :dunce:) are to their lowest.

(Im Schnellmenü Force-Feedback "Max. Drehmoment" und Force-Feedback "Empfindlichkeit" beide runter auf 1)
Sorry,
there seems to be a misread here:
I NEVER owned a G27, I bought a T300RS, returned it and bought another (the 2nd) T300RS!
I returned the 1st T300 RS because I was shocked from ist behaviour compared to my LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE EX, that's what I said!

on ps4 it will work properly, i tried it on pc and it works amazingly. It's badly supported by Gran turismo. In several videos it has been used on ps4 with drive club and project cars at public events and it works fine.

However there is the t100 (with force feedback) between t80 and 300rs. T80 is not even to be considered.

Sorry,
there seems to be a misread here:
I NEVER owned a G27, I bought a T300RS, returned it and bought another (the 2nd) T300RS!
I returned the 1st T300 RS because I was shocked from ist behaviour compared to my LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE EX, that's what I said!

I see, but then I still don't understand, you used the first T300 and were shocked how at the behaviour was because you thought it was 'wrong/broken' or just 'overwhelming'? Also then why haven't you opened the second one and tried it?

Of course the T100 adds another dilemma to your quest for the right wheel. :P I didn't even really know about that one myself.

in project cars is listed as working on ps4, so it will depend from games developers cause it can be used like the t500. However i have been told by a friend that t100 is a bit worse than a dfgt and really poor in terms of quality and reliability ( but this seems to be a wider problem for th. products.. in the t300rs discussion we have already several wheels not working anymore.. damn).

Do not buy the t80, i tried it, it's really a plastic toy, without force feedback is really like holdinh a controller a steer with it.

Before ordering the T100 too...
what would be my dilemma then with that one?

Also the T300 needs to be used in the PS3 setting (on the base) when used on a Ps3.

The Power Steering would still have been an option in GT6 even before v1.12. In fact it has been there since v1.0. It makes the wheel much less stiff to turn. It's found in the game settings from the main menu. Press the start button in the main menu.

in project cars is listed as working on ps4, so it will depend from games developers cause it can be used like the t500. However i have been told by a friend that t100 is a bit worse than a dfgt and really poor in terms of quality and reliability ( but this seems to be a wider problem for th. products.. in the t300rs discussion we have already several wheels not working anymore.. damn).

Do not buy the t80, i tried it, it's really a plastic toy, without force feedback is really like holdinh a controller a steer with it.

Okay, I guess I can Close this T80 thread for reasons you can read here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ing-wheel-thread.311143/page-15#post-10118266
It's really just a waste of Money (thank goodness it's "only" 88,- EUROs)!

Also the T300 needs to be used in the PS3 setting (on the base) when used on a Ps3.

The Power Steering would still have been an option in GT6 even before v1.12. In fact it has been there since v1.0. It makes the wheel much less stiff to turn. It's found in the game settings from the main menu. Press the start button in the main menu.

But I can only set the FF to the Minimum value of "1", right?
I cannot Switch it off alltogether (which was what I liked with the Logitech, because it had a seperate cable for the Power Supply of the FF, and if you pulled that cable, you just didn't have FF (which I liked).
But I'm in the process of getting used to my T300RS and I already like it a lot!

But I can only set the FF to the Minimum value of "1", right?
I cannot Switch it off alltogether (which was what I liked with the Logitech, because it had a seperate cable for the Power Supply of the FF, and if you pulled that cable, you just didn't have FF (which I liked).
But I'm in the process of getting used to my T300RS and I already like it a lot!

The power steering is an option in the GT6 menu. Try it with the actual power plugged in. It simulates turning the real life feature on or off. Power steering is found on most modern cars (even the latest Formula 1 race cars have it. on or off on real car. It's a different setting to the 2 force feedback settings. I'm not sure it is selectable in the GT6 menu with the T80 plugged in. Only with a more advanced wheel plugged in with a larger angle of rotationv (like the T300) will the in game option allow it to be set.

As regards the force feedback settings try setting the two fields in a variety of ways. Eg Strenth 1 but play around with Sensitivity.

As I now drive the T300RS, could you tell me where this "Power Steering" Option can be found?
Can't find it (at least not in GT6).
And I am through with the T80. It's back in its box and will remain there for a very, very long time!

Just to clarify, power steering in GT6 is found in the options menu under controller settings. Just dig through the generic settings pages and you'll find it.

In GT6 this setting is intended for weaker wheels like the DFGT where the motor gets in the way of turning the wheel, what it does is if it detects you try to move the wheel at a high enough speed it gets the motor to assist you turning the wheel, instead of providing normal force feedback.

I found it very handy when running my old DFGT in GT5, and have used it early in GT6 while drifting. For normal driving (including holding slides) since patch 1.12 I really don't feel it's needed with the T500, but then I run FF sensitivity =1 for a lighter wheel. Still, try it and see....

I ordered the Thrustmaster T80 three days ago from Fry's Electronics for $79.00 it is now on Amazon for $79.00, I will comment once I get the wheel, I passed on the Logitech wheels because I knew of the incompatibility with PS4, So I purchased a HKS III Hypermax Hand Controller which I'm pretty fast with, so the T80 will be an upgrade for me, and If Project Cars is all that it is cracked up to be I will get an Thrustmaster T300 RS unless the T80 is satisfactory, Make sure you post after you try it, Thanx.

Before ordering the T100 too...
what would be my dilemma then with that one?

The Thrustmaster T100 wheel works on the PS4, but only within the game. On the PS4-Dashboard you have to navigate with the DS4. And if you want to use the share-function you have to press it on the controller as well. Theres no remapping of those buttons.

But at least its a pretty good deal to buy this wheel, with nice FF, for 80EUR

whole post at this link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Driveclub/comments/2ig77i/is_driveclub_supporting_the_thrustmaster_t100/

I'm going to buy a Thrustmaster T80 until GT7 comes out, then I will get a T300RS for $399.99, because I don't have the PS4 system yet, but I have until March 17 2014 that's when Project Cars come out, I don't want to have to use the DS3 and Racing Wheel together.

NOTE THIS IS THE OPINION OF A RACING GAMER COMING STRAIGHT FROM GAME RACING WITH A RACING DS3 CONTROLLER (Called the HKS Hypermaxiii) if you currently have one of these controllers or something comparable to it like one of these this post is for you,:

DS3-4 Racing Controllers.png

If you love Racing Games or Sims but play them with one of these because you don't want to spend the cash, or you don't want the Force Feed Back experience, The Thrusmaster T80 will be A great option for the next step in your racing game experience, if you are contemplating making the transition to A wheel set, I got my Thrustmaster T80 yesterday plugged it in, and really enjoyed myself, It was rough at first because I'm so use to little input for maximum response that you get with racing controllers, but if you get A T80 (DON'T FORGET TO SET THE WHEEL SENSITIVITY ON THE WHEEL) and you do that by: [Holding both paddle shifters and pressing the direction pad Up or Down until the led on the wheel turns GREEN] That will remove the Latency or Dead-Zone from the wheel for perfect precision steering, The T80 has Approx. 0° to 130° of Wheel Rotation from Neutral to Lock, and 260° from Lock to Lock,
2000px-Rapporteur.svg.png

and some more expensive Wheel Sets has 900° or even 1080°, but as a reminder an F1 Car has only about 0° to 180° of rotation, and 360° of rotation from Lock to Lock, but I look at it like this, The higher the wheels degree of rotation, the greater the steering correction needed to turn or stabilize over steer, most race cars are about 900° from lock -lock from what I've seen, but coming from a DS3 Racing controller 900° to 1080° of wheel rotation may be too challenging for some who are use to DS3 steering, so it may be better to start with less wheel rotation. There are threads about wheel rotations, if you would like more detail, but for me, My lap times are getting faster and faster because of the better pedals control in braking and acceleration, no need for ABS or Traction Control because of the increase in control of the pedals, so if you use and are really good with a DS3 racing controller you will love this wheel, but just give it a couple days and you will improve your lap times, because of the increased control, I'm happy with mine, I'm going to wait until GT 7 before I upgrade to the T300RS unless I find Project Cars and F1 2015 on the PS4 that incredible, and also The T80 on PS4 doesn't have to be mapped as A DS3 gamepad, as it does on the PS3.
AUTOMATIC WHEEL EMULATION ON PLAYSTATION®4 In PlayStation®4 games only, the T80 Racing Wheel is recognized as a Real Wheel and not as a gamepad, for better responsiveness and enhanced precision, so that's something to look forward to. Right now it is sold in the U.S. at Walmart for $75.00 plus $9.00 for the 3 year Service Plan, And on Amazon for $79.00 World Wide. The only Negatives in this Wheel Set is: #1 The Wheel is Not Detachable so any add-on wheels are NOT optional (F1 Wheel or Ferrari GTE Wheel). and #2 T80 is NOT Compatible to the T3PA (Optional Clutch and Peddle Set) nor the TH8A (H-Pattern Manual Shifter), But if you are just transitioning from a DS3 or DS4 Controller or Racing Controller you may be spending A little while getting use to just the wheel and peddles, This gives you all the practice you need with a AT (Automatic Transmission) then try the MT (Manual Transmission) Once you get use to Wheel and Peddle Sim Racing. I also bought the Ultimate Wheel Stand for $89.00 which isn't as good as the Wheelstand Pro (Reason) Ultimate Wheel Stand doesn't secure the pedals to the base, but I Duct Taped mine, so now it stays in place without shifting, You won't have to worry about the pedals sliding forward, because the Ultimate Wheel Stand has a lip to prevent that from happening, but it will shift Left or Right, If I had known the T80 was this good I would have spent the extra $50.00 and got the Wheelstand Pro for the T80 for $139.00+ shipping, but overall The Ultimate Wheel Stand works well with the duct tape and plus the shipping was FREE!

Here is A link to Thrustmaster Technical Support for T80 instruction Manual, and wheel compatibility information.http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/Manuals/T80RW/T80_Manual.pdf

Last edited:
Back