Trying Iracing first time need some suggestions

• Thread starter klondike
  • 10 comments
Klondike_rush
Hello guys.

Next week I booked a time on a sim racing Cafe, where I will try IRacing for the first time with a VR headset.

I have for a very long time considered to buy a new PC with a VR headset and Fanatec Wheel and pedals and start playing IRacing, and other PC sims.

So the opportunity to try it at the Sim racing Cafe is very helpfull.

But which IRacing Cars would you suggest for a beginner. I belive I will have two sessions at 20 minutes each. So I could try 2 cars, and two tracks.

My favorite track is BrandHatch so I will defenetly go there for at least one session if not both.

But the cars to drive I have no idea what to choose. I want something that is fun, and easy to handle.

Are there any group 4 cars that are some what easy to handle, or what other cars should i choose ?

Although I don't have iRacing, only a handful of cars are available by default, rest you have to buy.

There are cars like MX-5 available right off the bat. Should be decent as a first car.

As for Brands Hatch, it isn't available. There are some decent tracks like Laguna Seca, Lime Rock and Okayama, though.

Last edited:
I started in the MX5 but there's also a GR86 which is also part of the basic content, it's similar to the GR4 version in GT. Both are easy to drive and have some really good lobbies. Formula Vee is also awesome if you want to try open wheel.

Last edited:
iracing has a driver class system, where your driver rating and safety rating needs to go up for you to advance and join specific races.

In the actual game you start off as a rookie, and as far as road races go, you'll be using the MX5 to start, there is also an open wheel race car Formula Vee, but I found it a bit more difficult to get used to than the mx5.

I'd suggest trying out the MX5 for sure, and then after a few laps when you're used to it, try out the GR86. You'll notice a weight/power difference between the two when you drive them. iracing highlights this really well.

As far as racing goes, brake hard in a straight line, make sure you pick a good turn in point, and power through the turn gradually as you find grip. The grass and dirt in iracing should be treated like its ice. If you brake hard or accelerate hard while on grass/dirt/uneven curb, you'll spin out really quickly. If you hit anything, you'll pretty much need to go back to the pits.

Try out the Lamborghini Huracán GT3 EVO if you want to try out a faster car. I found the iracing very frustrating for the first day or two when I got it, its really challenging to get things right. Stick to a track that you already know well.

Have fun!

Edit: Just realized this is a really old thread haha

Last edited:
For road courses I'd start with the Mazda MX-5 and the Formula Vee open wheeler even if the latter is a little slow. If feeling a little braver, instead jump into the Ray FF1600 open wheeler.

Hello guys.

Next week I booked a time on a sim racing Cafe, where I will try IRacing for the first time with a VR headset.

I have for a very long time considered to buy a new PC with a VR headset and Fanatec Wheel and pedals and start playing IRacing, and other PC sims.

So the opportunity to try it at the Sim racing Cafe is very helpfull.

But which IRacing Cars would you suggest for a beginner. I belive I will have two sessions at 20 minutes each. So I could try 2 cars, and two tracks.

My favorite track is BrandHatch so I will defenetly go there for at least one session if not both.

But the cars to drive I have no idea what to choose. I want something that is fun, and easy to handle.

Are there any group 4 cars that are some what easy to handle, or what other cars should i choose ?
edit: read a thread's date next time...

Last edited:
I was being sarcastic to myself. :)
I replied fresh to a thread valid two and a half months ago. :)
I doubt the user's still going to that cafe.

Latest Posts

Back