Trying to learn how to drift well in GT5P

• Thread starter Shadow106
  • 49 comments
Shadow0410
Hi all

I am trying to learn how to drift properly in GT5P, at the moment I can initiate the drift fine but I can't hold the angle right or get the power balance correct enough to power through the entire corner.

I am looking for a full on guide on how to get a solid setup and good techniques for GT5P. I could drift well in GT4 but GT5P isn't working out so well for me right now.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated as I want to get some awesome drift videos posted on my YouTube account.

Thanks in advance.

Shadow

there're already tons of answers for these kind of thread. But from what you're saying i'm assuming your car get back traction before the corner end? That just mean you didn't come in the corner fast enough or your throttle control wasn't good enough. That's comon mistakes beginers make. I do that all the time. Try to work on your throttle control and entering speed more. Are you using a wheel or controller?

Wish I could do that nk4e none of my friends on PSN are that into GT5P sadly but if anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free my ID is Shadow0410 I would like to have more GT5P players on my list for sure.

I'd recommend going on the drift chat!!!
Most of the time we are online, and we will be more then happy to help you!
Link is in my sig !

Practice with buddies.
I personally found in learning (and i still am) to drift that having other people does not help at all. It makes me want to move my prefered line and speed to avoid contact with others. I would recomend to try out a slow track like eiger first, then move to Suzuka east and later to Fuji F. Don't be afraid to brake through turns, sometimes it is all you need. Also try trail braking into turns to get the rear end out smoothly.

I personally found in learning (and i still am) to drift that having other people does not help at all. It makes me want to move my prefered line and speed to avoid contact with others. I would recomend to try out a slow track like eiger first, then move to Suzuka east and later to Fuji F. Don't be afraid to brake through turns, sometimes it is all you need. Also try trail braking into turns to get the rear end out smoothly.
I always found it better to drift with people that are still learning with at least one experienced people. Especially in Online Drifting, you can see other lines that you probably haven't seen before.

start off with n1s dude, start using moderatly powered car like the mazda rx-7 or nissan 350z. turn up the power shave off the weight.apart from lowering your car afew notches dont worry about suspension settings to begin with. the best place to start learning is on the eiger nordwand in the first section and try linking drifts between the consecutive hairpins.when entering the first hairpin corner in 2nd gear initiate the drift using the handbrake,countersteer, wait a split second then put the gas on but do NOT floor it just regulate the throttle and apply more throttle as you hit the apex of the corner.....

this is how i learned how to drift on gt5 but obviously everyone has there own style, you'll get alot of people saying not to use n1 tyres but for the best drifting they must be used, you just have to know how to use them. hope this helps you out dude, goodluck

No it definitely is not easier on standard. I can drift in real life and on sim mode but not on standard. Standard is for gripping as it doesnt allow the back to kick out very much at all.

If at first you don't suceed it's better to just quit and sell your ps3 on ebay or something

Last edited:
ok, maybe i was wrong about standard physics but if you do put it on instead of professional physics go to the high speed ring with the Honda NSX with S2 tyres, its a very good drifter, easy to control aswell, and the high speed ring is the perfect track to learn drifting. thats why when i went online yesterday i saw most people including me using NSX's, because its the best car for the job!

I highly don't recommend Standard physics, and especially not starting with S2 tires. Professional with n1 tires are the best to start with.

are you using wheel or Ds3?

I think a good learning combo is Professional Physics, N1-N2s on the Tunned Cappuccino on Eiger.

If you are using a 900* wheel, try using Power-Assist on. If you are not comfortable with drifting it's easier to turn, counter-steer so you're not fighting the wheel. Once you get comfortable drifting turn the power-assist OFF and turn up the FF (i personally run FF 5 on Logitech G25, simulation power-assist OFF). With the power-assist off you get a better feel for the road, and you can feel when you're about to loose angle or spin. Practice makes better. :)👍

what do you mean by tuned? is that quick tune settings full power and lowest weight? and for the moment i use the good old sixaxis!

what do you mean by tuned? is that quick tune settings full power and lowest weight? and for the moment i use the good old sixaxis!

If you go to the Car Dealerships, it's listed under the "Concepts by GT". It's where you can buy the Tunned Evo, Tunned Zo6, Tunned Viper etc.

oh, so i've been using the knocked down price versions of these cars all this time...shows why i have the brains and the online people i play have the brawls!

Hey Shadow

I know what you're talking about and what you mean by you can't hold a drift....it's the DS3 mate....i used to drift at GT4 and at GT5p i managed to get a 10xxx at suzuka east with a vette/tuned and got the 10th place till i was sent to the 28th by some Japanese. guys :D

It's very frustrating to drift using the DS3 coz the main problem is to maintain an angle for the counter steer after you start the drift which i'm sure you have no problem doing it....but to keep it going that's the hard part.....the responce of the left analogue is not like the wheel, i tried with my friend's wheel and i had a nice lap at suzuka east....i practice there coz it's nice and easy, eiger has ups and downs which makes me lose it with the DS3....i go with N1/N1 & N3/N1 for some cars like the vette/tuned

my best advice is to start out in N1 front and rear, while keeping everything stock and turn off TCS control and ABS at 1. start from that on all FR or MR cars then move up from there. good luck.

dont worry about chaining, you shpuld practice holding a drift before chaining. the best car that i used as a beginner is a rx7, max horse power 115% weight. n1 tires decent stup

Wheel or PAD, N tires or R tires, they are all driftable it just takes practice!

pump the throttle through the drift, it will help to maintain speed and grip, just blitzing the tires will slow you down, save that for the final bend in the section where exit speed does not matter, but remember have fun thats what your drifting for

Last edited:
i have that same problem with hold a drift in a turn... ive been watching a lot of videos about drifting on gt5p but i still cant get it! it seems so easy when i watch those guys do it, but im here stuggling.... is there a specific setup im not aware of? ive tried different cars with different drivetrain and setup but its not working out for me! tcs is off abs at 1 ive tried mixing up the tires N,S, & R... asm off, everything!!!! does it matter what kind of wheel you use? im using a driving force gt wheel... if you guys can give me some tips of how i help guide the car around smoother please let me know! thanks!!!!

Back