trying to reasonably ask if 4wd cars are considered 'nooby'

  • Thread starter Thread starter mr.wigglesaur
  • 39 comments
  • 3,118 views
Messages
122
just wondering about the online community's opinion on them. personally i find it much easier to drive being stuck with a ds3, but i dont know if others would condemn their use, especially with cars like the murcielago and the r8 being made availible.
 
The lot of 4WD cars are easy to drive, there are exceptions though. If it's nooby? yes and no. Yes cause, well for obvious reasons, 4WD car's are easier to keep consistent/drive. No, because if your fav. car happens to be a 4WD then i won't condemn you. I also use the DS3 but my fav. car is a RWD car and well it take a lot of practice and finger (lol yeah) control to keep the car from overpowering in corners. Don't make DS3 an excuse, i'm pretty good with the DS3 an so is a lot of other people.

People online mostly use 4WD car's because of the drive-train advantage and because it's easier to keep consistent.
 
With a game like GT5, I don't think you can really have a "nooby" car(with an exception of the X2010) because of the physics, unlike NFS and some other racing/driving games with arcade physics where anyone can win any race if they have one of the best cars, GT5 requires a little more skill, and regardless if the car you're driving is 4WD or not, you're not going to win if you don't know how to drive it properly.
 
With a game like GT5, I don't think you can really have a "nooby" car(with an exception of the X2010)

How is the X2010 a nooby car if most people can barely keep it on the road? Noobs can't use it. :lol:

4WD cars are easier to drive but I don't call them nooby. I don't really use the word. :)
 
True, but it can beat any car to the point that it becomes unfair...
 
True, but it can beat any car to the point that it becomes unfair...

So it's nooby in a race that isn't a one make X2010 race.

4WD isn't "nooby" though, it's all preference. It has advantages and disadvantages, and i also wouldn't call the murcielago a "nooby" car, or the R8. Both are immensely fun to drive, and while they aren't my favorites, i still don't think that someone who just started playing would be able to keep up with someone who's played for a while if they were in one. The main thing to more even the playing field for those people are aids (especially SRF).
 
I'd say 4wd is somewhat nooby. I mean, it's just easier to use without really any noticeable drawbacks (within the game). It's similar, in my mind, to using racing softs.

Does that mean that you shouldn't use 4wd cars though? No. Drive whatever you want and don't worry about how challenging it is or what anyone thinks. The point is to have fun. I personally find most 4wd cars rather boring, but I wouldn't think any less of someone for using one.
 
how can a car be for noobs? Maybe a really slow car is a noob car, that way he can control it. like a midget or a bettle...lol

ALSO RACING SOFT TIRES ARE FOR NOOBS
 
how can a car be for noobs? Maybe a really slow car is a noob car, that way he can control it. like a midget or a bettle...lol

ALSO RACING SOFT TIRES ARE FOR NOOBS

Racing softs are only for "noobs" if no one else is using them. If you have a race online where everyone uses them, why not? Otherwise just limit the tires.
 
Racing soft tires on street cars just make them handle too easy and are a bit unrealistic IMO.
 
4wd cars are "noobish" (i hate that word) in the sense that it is easier to keep on the track. Being fast with them still takes skill though and more skilled drivers are faster with them than unskilled drivers.

There are advantages and disadvantages to 4wd cars though some of the disadvantages come in to play only on longer distances. More weight means more work for tires for example.
 
Racing soft tires on street cars just make them handle too easy and are a bit unrealistic IMO.

While this is true, if you put a racing slick with the right compound on a street car you'd probably have the same effect. The difference is you would never do that in real life for the most part. I figured he meant at all though which made little sense to me. Then again i haven't noticed much difference in times between the different racing tires.
 
Use whatever you want, within the regulations provided. It's your game, you paid for it...lol. The 4WD cars do provide certain advantages, the greatest being a lower chance at spinning out and getting the power down a bit easier and more reliably. You'll find over time, you'll naturally find you prefer certain cars anyway, to suit certain tracks and driving styles. I am starting to like FWD cars for example at the Eiger and won several races last night in my Ford Focus and Dodge Neon there. They also provide certain advantages that I like.
 
4WD is not nooby.
I see your questions like this:
"There are people around who have never driven a real car or are not good at it. Because of that they tend to use cars with mediocre cornering but good acceleration to catch up the time they lost in corners. These cars are mostly 4WD cars."

i wouldnt say im a good driver, but i know that you want to apply throttle again at or shortly after the apex for the rest of the corner. To do this right, cars with rear drive are better as a 4WD "tends" to just push forwards and drives you out of the corner if you apply throttle to early. 4WD is more "coasting time" in corners.
 
No, only SFR is "Nooby", as it's the only option in the game that can make you you quicker by giving extra grip!
 
It aint nooby i dont think. 4wd cars are harder to drive in some cases.If you touch the grass with 1 wheel you go off in a spin therefor the pressure to keep the car on the road is greater. if setup incorrectly also when the car has been tuned it can be a total pig but with the correct tune a sweetie to drive. My personal favourite car in the game and all round is the Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 and is a horror to drive without setup in this game so i cant say that is nooby!
 
No, only SFR is "Nooby", as it's the only option in the game that can make you you quicker by giving extra grip!

Yeah, that's the only actual "cheat" in the game. Everything else is just personal preference and represents some kind of compromise.

Some 4WD cars are easy to drive, but so are some FR and MR cars, and some 4WD cars drive like dump trucks or just act weird.
 
No not at all. It is about preference. Nothing more. If you like them, drive them.
 
They will give an advantage to a new driver over a RWD or FF car. An experienced driver will gain the most from the car that is set up the best for their driving style. In time, just check your lap times in a FF car vs a RWD vs A AWD car at the same PP with the same HP.

Check now and again in a month and see which car you improve the most on.
 
haha alright, thanks guys. especially the additional advice given :)

yeah, i have noticed the fr does tend to generally do better than a 4wd in the hands of a good drive. i take out my lamborghini on sports meds and just got whipped by a stock acr doing the same with the tires... its insane O.o

and yeah, i guess i'll have to test em all out soon on laguna and see how they work out in terms of the fastest xD
 
4WD can be just as fast as FR, it just has to be heavily biased toward the rear, like an R8 or a Murcielago, or any other high performance 4WD
 
i think that they are probably the best for circuit races as a whole that probably why people consider that 'nooby'

its like this guy online arguing, saying that you cant drift a 4WD car :dunce:...
 
i think that they are probably the best for circuit races as a whole that probably why people consider that 'nooby'

its like this guy online arguing, saying that you cant drift a 4WD car :dunce:...

Those people generally misuse the term drift; they use it to refer to a slide.
 
haha alright, thanks guys. especially the additional advice given :)

yeah, i have noticed the fr does tend to generally do better than a 4wd in the hands of a good drive. i take out my lamborghini on sports meds and just got whipped by a stock acr doing the same with the tires... its insane O.o

and yeah, i guess i'll have to test em all out soon on laguna and see how they work out in terms of the fastest xD

means nothing with PP restrictions, any car can beat any car (generalisation)!

I got beat by a Golf R32 in my Arta NSX yesterday for example on 600PP Nurb race! (overtook me on last straight, I was doing 184mph!!!)
 
I didn't know "nooby" was a word. I'd only heard newbie... And then "n00bish" as a slur.

Anyway, I AM a newbie, and admittedly not a great driver. I'm fairly new to racing games, and I use a ds3.
I'm good with modulating throttle... but I tend to modulate braking with a stabbing poking method. I tend to late brake by accident lots. And I like to brake at the same time as throttle at times.

And I don't necessarily find I do tons better in all 4wd, that's for sure. It really depends.
My bf has made comments that my way of driving in gt5 actually offsets & works against the benefits of a 4wd! So go figure.

Certainly I've had GREAT difficulty with that one particular 4wd Audi (I'm blanking on the name atm). It's a handful IMHO. It's not a car I would recommend to newbies!!

So I don't think 4wd in itself is newbish. It really probably depends on the situation.
Depending on the individual's strengths & weaknesses, some 4wd cars may be "easier", and then sometimes maybe not.

Just like the x2010 (x1) is "shameful" if someone's using it to unfairly overpower & mechanical advantage win against other cars. But certainly not shameful to use in a one-make race!

It's all about context.

As for bringing the tires vs n00b arguments into this thread. That's off-topic. If you want to sound off on that topic, I recommend this thread:

What exactly is so shameful about using Racing Soft tires? - GTP Forums

... for your slicks-n00b-obsessing interests. LOL
 
Back