trying to reasonably ask if 4wd cars are considered 'nooby'

  • Thread starter Thread starter mr.wigglesaur
  • 39 comments
  • 3,118 views
'Nooby'...? Nah. To me, I look at it like this...

I can see someone say that, "Oh, I like 4WD cars better because of how well they handle and all the characteristics..." etc., etc. But what it all boils down to is technique and how well you are connected to the car(s) you have--whether 4WD, MR, FF, FR. I'm talking about in terms of being able, and how well, you can control and handle the type of drive type you have. So with that said, there's really no saying of 'nooby' not just in 4WD cars...but in any type of drivetrain. It's all in the matter of being connected with the car(s) you have. I guess you can apply this in reality if you're just an average, normal driver with a normal car to racers.

All my cars I've been able to handle, even if they've been tuned higher than stock. So no saying 'nooby' to any type of drivetrain.
 
4wd is not nooby at all. GT5 is the most realistic racing game in the world. If 4WD are easier to handle in real life (which they are) than it can't be nooby. Drivingline is nooby because it does not exist in real life. Go ahead anduse 4WD's.
 
GT5 is the most realistic racing game in the world. .

I'm going to have to just go ahead and disagree with this. It's good, but there are more realistic racing games out there.
 
Anyone who thinks 4WD cars are for either beginners, noobs, or people who can't drive are wrong.

Try setting up a powerful 4WD car on low grip tyres to be competitive in a race which has a decent race distance i.e. 20-30 miles.

See how easy it is to murder the front tyres, try making them last race distance and still have your car be competitive.

If 4WD is such a bad thing then why do cars like the GTR's utilise this?

It obviously helps with traction, but once you're familiar with setups then this can change dramatically, the pitfalls of a RWD car against a 4WD become less.

I drive both RWD and 4WD cars and enjoy them both, sometimes it's enjoyable to powerslide, sometimes it's enjoyable to put the power 'down' and fly out of a corner. Each car has it's strengths and weaknesses, both take as much skill to 'master' as each other, but in different ways. Try setting up a LSD on a 4WD car aswell as it's possible on a RWD car.

It also depends what sort of racing you're doing, power levels, tyres involved, race distance etc etc.

Driving a RWD car with a poor power to weight ratio on racing softs tyres in a 'sprint' race is just as 'noobish' as what driving a 4WD car is perceived to be by other people.

It's all about what you know and what type of online racing you're accustomed too.
 
i like 4WD if i feel that i reallistically stand no chance. I usually play with TCS at 1 because i love sliding around a bit but i'm not always good with my power contol. I'm much better now with it than i used to be but i'm nowhere near as good as a fair amount of people online and 4WD just gives me that little bit extra grip i need to keep up. i'm also rubbish with set ups so i always get "paid back" with a lot of understeer :P
 
It's all about preference. If you like either FF, FR, RR, MR or 4WD. Drive em'. they've all got their advantages and disadvantages. 4WD has the advantage of control and maneuverbillity, and the disadvantage of extra weight from the drivetrain and understeer (in some cases heavy understeer!). A good tip from one of the 200 best racers online (me). If You Like Em'. Drive Em'!
 
Personally, 4WD cars are a little too quick. If everyone online in a room is using them, then yea, sure, I'll whip out My R34 for a little action, but if there is only 1 or 2 people in a full 8-10 person room, then I'll find something that I can beat them with that isnt 4WD.
 
at the end of the day, if it means i win the race i dont really care what drivetrain the car has!
 
If you drive a AWD car poorly, you are going to run into just as many problems as you would if you drove any other car poorly (FF perhaps being the exception). The limits for screwing up in an AWD car are higher, but if you do something to exceed those limits you generally mess up far more than you would with another drivetrain.
 
I don't consider AWD to be "noobish" at all. They offer a greater sense of security because most of them have the predictable understeer of an FF combined with the rear wheels powering the car around its "hips" like an FR/MR car. But a greater sense of security does not equal faster laps or better handling. In fact I think most AWD cars have more negative aspects about them than good. And I honestly think that a lot of the AWD cars in GT5 are harder to tune in a way that suits me than FF or FR/MR cars.
GT5 has done a good job of making AWD cars more realistic than in Forza3. In Forza3 AWD (usually) meant getting all the benefits and almost none of the shortcomings. It offered an unfair advantage in Forza equivalent to the PP system.
I don't care if the whole room is racing AWD cars online, if I want to drive a car with a different drivetrain I will. Because of the abundance of bad drivers online I stopped racing just for the win long ago. Instead I try to just have fun, be clean and race many different cars. Unless I am in an online race with just friends, then it's on! But this still does not mean I will use AWD to win. Just last night I beat a whole gang of friends at Nurburgring 24h, they were all in Subarus or Evos with PP500, but I managed to win quite comfortably in my PP493 Volvo C30 with no wing (we were all on sport softs).
I've also been in many DTM type races with the same people. I used to drive my Opel Calibra Touring Car, but lately I've been doing much better with the MB 190E Touring Car with similar PP.
I noticed someone saying that if you rear bias the center dif a lot AWD cars get better. I disagree. I have most of my AWD cars set to about 35/65 and I think thats way better than 20/80 split.
The one thing where AWD really shows it's disadvantage is in endurance races. On average I can do 2 more laps before pitting on a medium length track with FR/MR than with an AWD car, since my front tires wear out as quickly.

But I say drive whatever you prefer, that's what I do. Recently I've had lots of fun racing FF cars just for the challenge of it. It's about having fun, and for me the fun is in the challenge and the close fighting. But I certainly don't look down on people using a car simply because it will make for more confidence or a better chance of winning.
My favourite car in the game makes no sense at all. Stock C6 ZR1 on sort softs. Not exactly a shoe-in for a victory, but I LOVE racing it and it's extremely satisfying when I manage to pull of a good postion or a rare win.
 
Last edited:
Back