TSR Super Formula SF19 - Season 1

• Thread starter GTWelsh
  • 566 comments
Like I've done some practice :lol:
I made the assumption. :lol:

But I didn't even know what track it was until I saw it in someone's signature!! :lol: You could have told me BB Raceway or Northern Isle and I'd have believed you.

Driver briefing from our discord channel added to main round 5 post. See the link in my signature.

This is a "must read" and outlines track limits.

Driver briefing from our discord channel added to main round 5 post. See the link in my signature.

This is a "must read" and outlines track limits.

A copy-paste in case any aren't on Discord:

Sf19 Round 5 nürb gp Driver briefings.

42+2 laps 12:00 conditions x3rate RS + RM tyres Red/white curbs 2 wheels max.

Full course white line track limit ex highlights of t4e Exit of t2 two wheels max on the red/white curbs if crossed onto the astro it will be treated as gaining an advantage for t3.

Exit of t4 white line can be crossed with all 4 wheels but car must be crossed back onto track before the red/white curb.

Entry t10 2 wheels max on red/white curbs. Final chicane 2 wheels max on the red/white curbs.

Circuit full white line is treated as a max track limit. Exploit that, excluding t4 exit will be treated as a advantage if time is gained. Pit entry/exit line must not be crossed when leading to the pits or leaving.

A looooooooooong time I've made a debriefing after a race. Where to start?

Qualifying:

As usual, I went on the mediums for the qualifying session and made a few burning fuel laps to be a bit lighter. I had no proper practice and I never drove the SF19 on the Nürburgring GP so I had to discover everything in a few laps. 1"38.4, not too bad without any kind of setup I guess, even if I've aborted a 1"38.2 or .1 because I wasn't sure about my last chicane regarding the track limits. Anyway, starting 5th on the outside is better than 4th on the inside for me.

Race:

Taking the full tank again, maybe it was a bit too much but I didn't know. Will spinning, it's a free position and I attack on my mediums thinking on where to stop, by having a look at how much time I was losing per lap on the Top 3, who were running softs. I felt the window of the undercut & soft length usage was on lap 20 but I decided to go in the pits on lap 21, attacking a bit more to get an extra gap with Waike, even if I didn't had to refuel, giving the time to adapt and learn those softs on track. I instantly ran some 36s, close to the actual FL of the race which was a surprise and I went in full attack mode, feeling I could fight for the win. Joe saw me coming back more and more but... Dirty air striked when I was a 1.3s of him. I was hoping that Bandit would block him a bit by the said dirty air before the blue flags comes. I was able to come back because Joe also had dirty air but... I've lost my front wing in the process. Couldn't do anything more and I wasn't expecting him to come back in the racing line after being almost off track and stopped to let pass Joe. Who knows if I could have get the 1st position, but I would have fight until the end no matter what.

Anyway, always a pleasure to run those #NoSetup #NoPractice challenges.

I'd say it was tyre wear rather than dirty air that slowed your progress towards me. With slipstream on "real", the slipstream and dirty air only come into effect when you're within 0.7 of the car in front, no matter how fast you're going. I was also boosting when the gap got too close.

I'll try to get a write-up of my race up sometime tomorrow.

Not a Samsung tv by any chance if so just hit it with a hammer.
Mine was doin similar thing curve tv is now a folded tv :lol:

Samsung it is! :D
Between the time that I came home and the start of the race, it happened 5-6 times. Was busy in the livery editor while you were racing, off course nothing happened then...
Will see how it goes the next few days, if the problem keeps occuring, I'll have to go on early retirement :(

I'd say it was tyre wear rather than dirty air that slowed your progress towards me. With slipstream on "real", the slipstream and dirty air only come into effect when you're within 0.7 of the car in front, no matter how fast you're going. I was also boosting when the gap got too close.

The dirty air can affect way earlier than the slipstream and maybe due to my stock downforce, I felt it before than if I had full downforce. On '16 SGT cars for example, it's about 1.5s where you begin to lose downforce and if you're lucky, at .7 you have the slipstream to counter it a bit. When you went behind Bandit, I could catch you way easier than before, without counting the boost because I also was using it ^^

The dirty air can affect way earlier than the slipstream and maybe due to my stock downforce, I felt it before than if I had full downforce. On '16 SGT cars for example, it's about 1.5s where you begin to lose downforce and if you're lucky, at .7 you have the slipstream to counter it a bit. When you went behind Bandit, I could catch you way easier than before, without counting the boost because I also was using it ^^

I was well aware that wake can affect tire wear and pace massively. I felt I could match @MaarteN5H 's pace, but I felt I wasn't able to pull away if I did that, so I matched you guys on pace on a distance. 1-1.4s just to stay out of the wake when it mattered. It was really after lap 20 that I was within 1s and in the wake of his car.

I had to do that since I was planning to go till lap 30 which would enable me to fly on fresh Softs for 14 qualifying laps. I think the last couple of laps when Maarten was really struggling I was wearing my tires as well in the wake. I didn't expect @Jomas to close the gap that quickly. When he went past me, it was crucial to pit to not lose even more time.

I really did not expect to close that 8s gap on Maarten and overtake both @GTWelsh and @CrazyJohn

Great race! More than happy to end 4th starting in 9th!

Here's my race: in qualifying I didn't get a great lap in, but it was still good enough for pole. In a qualifying practice I'd managed a time .4 faster than the pole lap. CJ got a better start than me and we both went deep into t1 and held position with him in front. From the practice I mentioned before, I knew I had the pace advantage, but the dirty air was preventing me from getting a good run out of the key corners.

One lap i made a mistake going onto the back straight, which allowed welsh to be close enough to pass me into t1 just after. I didn't fight welsh much after t1 and then had a small moment and dropped back a little. i then decided that I'd see if welsh was able to pass cj, but we just maintained order. Welsh had a poor exit from the chicane at one point, so I used the opportunity to repass him into t1 and hoped to have another go at passing cj. At about this point I found where I'd been losing out compared to my practice times (T4 and final corner exits).

Welsh pit just after and was lapping very fast, as I was informed on the team radio at the time. That let me know I'd miscalculated the crossover point, but I stayed out since cj was my closest championship rival at that point. Welsh then got damage and had to pit. I pit shortly after that with 2 laps of fuel left, after remembering that Jomas was now on the softs.

Knowing that CJ's softs were going to be slower than warmed up mediums and that he usually puts in more starting fuel than me, I had to go as fast as possible on the outlap to make an undercut and warm up the tyres. Out of the dirty air it was much easier to drive, and I was back to hitting my practice laptimes. CJ's shorter stop meant that despite gaining close to 2 seconds on him on my outlap, he came out right in front of me. I knew he'd still have cold tyres for half the outlap and had to pass as soon as I could. CJ covered the inside of t1 to block a cutback, but that left the outside open for me to take advantage of and get through on traction. I just had to hold my position on the outside until the t4 exit and I was ahead.

Finally free and able to run my own pace, I extended the gap while CJ had issues with grip on his mediums. Jomas made his way past CJ to second, and was steadily catching me. He gained less once the gap got under 2 seconds, and for a couple of laps the gap would stay around the 1-1.3 mark. I lapped Bandit into the chicane, and you know the rest...

Personally I only felt the dirty air effect when I was in the slipstream, which is why I've been referring to that 0.7 gap which slipstream takes effect within.

Last edited:
Congratulations again @DrifterJoe mate on winning the TSR SF19 Series 1 Championship!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I was honestly so excited to of caught you and CJ, passed you then started closing on CJ! However my inconsistency caught up with me and a few minor mistakes later you were back past.

I then pit, which as you say was actually timed to perfection (not intended). I was well into undercut territory having gained 2 or 3 seconds on you and then boom, span up the wheels between turn 3 and 4 and snagged the barrier.

I was really quick in sector 1 all race, potentially the quickest on track there and it was really disappointing for that to be where my race was ended.

Perhaps I was just pushing too hard, got a little over excited.

I really don't know how you do it on DS4 Joe, being that quick AND consistent. I generally have to pick one unless I have a really good day.

One day I'll get a wheel again and show you bois how it's done ;)

You don't want a wheel it brings extra problems, I had to manage my brake flicking on and off during the race, delighted with P8 cos I have no idea how much time it was costing me.

I think the problem is sorted now, hopefully I'll put in another consistent race at Suzuka. You go on about being quick or consistent @GTWelsh, I could only choose the latter haha :cheers:

R6 Grid
  1. TSR_GTWelsh
  2. TSR_T5Black
  3. TSR_Kurt24
  4. TSR_Jimmy
  5. TSR_Maarten
  6. CrazyJohn
  7. JoeOfTheFire
  8. StormPacer
  9. Pinkarey
  10. WaikeCU
  11. GRM_Bandit
  12. DR_HASH
  13. Will-Friedmann

Last edited:
A couple of mistakes cost me a podium, nevermind, was happy with 4th anyway, have you got the final standings up?

Thanks for hosting this guys, I've had a lot of fun in the races we've done, brilliant format and I'm struggling to come up with ways to improve it. Maybe the safety car could play a part if certain scenarios happen i.e two or so cars pick engine damage, but yeah apart from that it's brilliant

Cheers

:cheers:

Although I missed the last two races, it was a great series!
Unfortunately I had to fight my ass off to not finish last each race, but I knew that from the beginning :P

Is it maybe an idea to run a double series ? 2 races/night , or 1 race per class every two weeks : 16 fast drivers in Superformula, and 16 slower drivers in a heavy/low powered super formula car.
(looking for ways to finish on the podium :D )

Back