Tuning downforce for mr cars

• Thread starter beast345
  • 2 comments
How do you all tune downforce on your mr cars? I have been wondering whether i should be using neutral front and rear downforce, front stronger than rear, or rear stronger than front settings.

Depends on the car, speed and desired handling.

I like to set up the car so that it is a bit twitchy at lower speeds, but use more downforce at the rear to make the car more neutral or even understeer at higher speeds. If I'm at a lower speed track, say Tsukuba, or going for a one lap time attack, I just crank the downforce to max at both ends unless it becomes too twitchy.

*shameless plug for my tuning guide* https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=127310

Set the front downforce to maximum. The car will be very easy to spin, especially at high speed. Increase the rear downforce until the handling feels balanced again.

If the downforce has reduced the top speed too much, reduce the front downforce and repeat the tuning of the rear downforce.
Specifically for MR cars, it varies between cars so I don't have a rule like "rear higher than front". Although since MRs are often more unstable, it is common to run more rear downforce than for cars with other layouts.

Also, downforce is one of the last things I tune. The suspension should be balanced without downforce, otherwise downforce can mask a bad suspension setup.

Back