Tuning guides

Belgium
Belgium
Need a decent tuning guide because anyone can slap parts on but not fine tune to get optimum results. Any pointers, not videos but guides, gratefully appreciated

I mean the post above is missing the point entirely and not helpful,

But as a rule of thumb I look at Weight distribution so I apply:
55:45 or more forward biased weight, then expansion needs to be to be greater in the rear than the front.
45:55 or rearward, then expansion needs to be greater in the front than the rear.

Softer Natural frequency and Anti rolls bars prolong tyre life.

Softer natural frequency gives you more confidence to carry higher speeds at the apex of a turn, however if too soft the car will wallow about so stiffer anti roll bars and compression is needed.

Gear tuning, if the Torque of the engine is quite high, I make sure the Final gear is high, the bigger the "cog" slows down the torque so acceleration is not wheel spinning too much.

LSD:
  • Initial - Lower if coasting is understeer and increase if oversteer when coasting
  • Acceleration - when accelerating if the car understeers then lower this, increase if oversteering
  • Braking - when trail braking if the car understeers then lower this, oversteer when coming off the brakes then increase
Soft compression is good for braking, a lot of weight is transferred to the front wheels under heavy braking. The down side is a car which will bottom out under braking, this isn't good as the car will tend to pivot off the front end, thus losing the rear.
Soft compression at the rear is good for power down at low speeds.

Stiff expansion will make the car more stable on corner exit at high speeds.

These are just some quick pointers and tuning tips.

Gear tuning, if the Torque of the engine is quite high, I make sure the Final gear is high, the bigger the "cog" slows down the torque so acceleration is not wheel spinning too much.
If you have problems with wheel spin at certain speeds it’s often better to adjust that specific gear instead of the final drive, since the final drive ratio affects all the gears equally. So if you use it to reduce the wheel torque by 5% in second gear you will also reduce it by 5% in fifth gear.

Back