Tuning in sport mode

Do you think tuning should be allowed in sport mode while keeping the BOP for hp and weight?

• Yes allow tuning in sport mode

Votes: 49 80.3%
  • No I don't want tuning in sport mode

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters
United States
United States
With the BOP adjustments in sport mode the tuning is locked. I think the BOP adjustments for hp and weight are good but to take the tuning aspect away really takes the fun out of sport mode for me. Right now 75% of the field in the gt3, and gr4 categories are the same car. I think allowing players to tune in sport mode for gr4 and gr3 categories would allow a more diverse field of cars and also make sport mode better for people who want to race competitively with their own tunes and BOP for hp and weight.

With the BOP adjustments in sport mode the tuning is locked. I think the BOP adjustments for hp and weight are good but to take the tuning aspect away really takes the fun out of sport mode for me. Right now 75% of the field in the gt3, and gr4 categories are the same car. I think allowing players to tune in sport mode for gr4 and gr3 categories would allow a more diverse field of cars and also make sport mode better for people who want to race competitively with their own tunes and BOP for hp and weight.

Yeah,
Lets ask Kaz if he is not allowed to tune before running the Nordscheife in his GTR?!?!
Of course tuning should, and needs to be allowed.

I spend half my time on GTS tuning, and it rankles me to find all my tuning returned to stock when I enter an online race.

WAKE UP PD!

The car in my avatar is one that I spent 20,000 dollars in tuning the suspension alone to run the Silver State Classic and be my all around track car. It was a 96 SVT Cobra modified with a torque arm, Panhard Bar, coil over Konis on all corners,(adjustable ride heights too) Caster/camber plates, serious subframe connecters, Strut tower bracing, solid steering arm bushings, the list goes on, and on....... Imagine going to the track and being told, the car will have to be returned to stock?!?!?

So, if PD has made the suspension/powertrain semi adjustable.......... what is the point of it all?????

Cheers, Pete

So if you go to a race that does not allow those upgrades, do you think you should still be able to race?
The suspension, drivetrain, and transmission are all tunable without upgrades in gt sport but in sport mode pd thought it was a good idea to keep players from tuning vehicles at all which really defeats the purpose of bop racing. Might aswell be one make racing cause every is going to choose the fastest car like the megane and 911 gr3.

I know its setup, and before they had it setup that way everyone drove the same cars tuned also. At the time when you could tune it was all vipers and gt-r's.

The suspension, drivetrain, and transmission are all tunable without upgrades in gt sport but in sport mode pd thought it was a good idea to keep players from tuning vehicles at all which really defeats the purpose of bop racing. Might aswell be one make racing cause every is going to choose the fastest car like the megane and 911 gr3.
You are absolutely right on dude!

I like the fact that I don't have to spend the time I have to play messing around with setups for GT Sport Mode. In fact, I think it's it's best feature.
Maybe we could keep stock competitive racing in sport mode, but at least make alternative for majority of people who prefer living up to the term "The Real Driving Simulator" that want the ability to tune and race competitively in sport mode.

Last edited:
I like the fact that I don't have to spend the time I have to play messing around with setups for GT Sport Mode. In fact, I think it's it's best feature.
I totally disagree on what you said about being the best feature, tuning up a car is the right way to go in sports mode and it has taking away the level on how good you are on tuning.
And PD calls it "The Real Driving Simulator", which is a no at the moment.

What I have the hardest time trying to understand is why in a game that does its matchmaking by DR and SR rankings and Qualifying lap times where racers are supposed to be placed in races with other drivers turning the same approximate times WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHETHER A TUNE WAS OR WAS NOT USED as a 2:00 lap time is a 2:00 lap time whether it was made with or without the car having a custom suspension tune or not?

If the 2:00 minute Q time sets the lobby the racers are all evenly matched whether by skill, tune or combination of the two, they are still matched for equal times in that race.

The items I see more as issues is that all racers should have to enter a Q time to enter a race and use the car they are racing. If you do not have 6 minutes to run a couple of qualifying laps then perhaps you really do not have the time to race on line.
In race fastest laps that are quicker than the posted Q time should update to be the Q time for any more races ran that day to prevent Q sandbagging from having a lasting effect on the days races.

What I find to be even more of a concern in the online sport mode is the use of unrealistic "virtual world" driving aids such as CSA and ASM which lessen the time penalties or mistakes while helping a driver to control the car on track.

In my opinion those aids are for new drivers or kids learning the game and should not be allowed but maybe only in the very lowest ranks at most. They should not be allowed in the mid level and higher races in sport mode.

We should just close the "tuning" section for as long as PD blocks tuning in every mode.
It's just pointless and a waste of time right now...

PD should just make 3 one-make races with all Meganes to finally kill sport mode :grumpy:

What I have the hardest time trying to understand is why in a game that does its matchmaking by ......... Qualifying lap times where racers are supposed to be placed in races with other drivers turning the same approximate times
Yes that's fine, but it does not actually work that way. If I'm turning a 2:00 lap time, I should not be matched with folks turning 1:45 or 1:50, but that's the norm.

Yes. Trany, suspension, lsd etc can have a huge effect on your lap times. As for drivers winning... true but... GT has used tuning as a main element since the beginning. Driving sim?? Nope... racing sim. Just sayn.

Yes that's fine, but it does not actually work that way. If I'm turning a 2:00 lap time, I should not be matched with folks turning 1:45 or 1:50, but that's the norm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after back and forth on forums and experimenting in GT sports mode, I believe Q time has nothing to do with matching.

Matching uses SR first - if there are enough people online, your race will be full of matching SR. Rarely will you get a different SR.

After that, your DR, and postion within that DR, gets used. If you are high DR D, you will get matched with other high DR D and low DR C. Again, if there aren't as many people online close to your rating, you will be matched further away from a perfect match. This can be accentuated by being an uncommon ranking, eg DR S SR E. Surely there aren't many people who can obtain a high DR rating and still have a poor SR. There may be lots of people online, but not many of your type.

nce your matching has taken place and race participants defined, you are sorted by your qualifying time. This explains why there can be a large variance in Q time - it isn't used to match. In tracks I have had lots of practise on, I Q near the start, but some tracks I am towards the back of the pack. I initially thought this was about odds. With enough people online in a 16 car race, this would give you a 1 in 16 chance of being pole. However, people not participating in races they don't like, and practising some tracks more than others swing these odds, as does having less than perfect DR and SR matches.

Can anyone correct me/ expand??

For me this was exemplified by my participation in 2 GR4 Dragon Trail daily races a few days ago, after practising the track for a week in a GR3 RSR. I had a league race there and would have practised 100 laps or more. After all that practise, racing in a slower car allowed me to be very precise, and a handful of Q laps gave me a good time. In my first race, I Q 3rd, won the race, and went from mid DR D SR S to DR C. In the second race, i Q 6, and won again. This put me over halfway through the DR C progress bar. Pity it was a late night, I was already off song, otherwise a few more races could have seen me rise another rank...though I would hate to game the rank, and race at the back of every other race where I didn't know the track so well.

Sort of like your SR depicts what league you are placed, your DR depicts which division you are placed within the league and your Q time depicts which team you are assigned to within the division.

How much variance between the different aspects of matching is supposed to be what is in the queue waiting to be matched at the time of selection. It does appear the matching is somewhat better since the update changed the ranking criteria to better distribute players across the ranks although at times the variances are still pretty large.

I would like tuning in Sport mode with BOP, and only adjuatments for LSD and downforce balance between the front and rears. With these two adjustments you can set the car up for your driving style.

I think currently the RWD cars in GR.4 for example can benefit from the rebalancing of the downforce towards the front. I was frustrated at how the rwd cars in Gr.4 felt until I rebalanced the downforce in time trials and now the handling feels much better.

Well, here's another thing. I did a "ONE MAKE" race a while back, my first online race in GTS. The car in use was the Golf GTI. I figured, well, I drive a brand new Golf Sportwagen, after trading in our 2015 Golf TSI, so I know what a Golf feels like, drives like, corners like, you get the picture. I got into that race with the supposed GTI, that would not even get out of it's own way, would not corner as well as our Sportwagen with Michelin Ice-X snow tyres on it, and I thought "Man, if this is the" real driving simulator," they got it very WRONG.

And yet, other people have told me that the Golf can be tuned in GTS and made to handle very well. So why would I choose to run the car that is tuned to be a dog? A REAL DOG!

You see, I like good handling cars. That car in my AVATAR was tuned to perfection and without any substantial power upgrades, it could corner with the Porsches on the track. Yeah, it cost close to 20K, but it was worth it.

"What the hell is that Mustang doing breathing up my a$$ in the twisties?" says the Porsche owner.

I used to love eyeballing the Porsche owners in their rear view mirrors as I snuggled in through the chicanes.

So tuning is important. Why drive a car that is struggling to turn a corner when there is no need to? We might as well go back to Drive Club!?!?! Racing isn't just about driving. Most real race cars spend away more time in the shop getting tweaked than they spend on the track, so we are lucky we can tune a car in GTS and change the tires in the blink of an eye, why can we NOT use that car in online races. Hell, we could do that in GT 5 and GT 6! Are we going BACKWARDS here and now?

Cheers, Pete

Usually in real world BoP ride heights, aero and in some classes and racing organizations also gear ratio's are locked by the BoP standards as you can alter a cars overall speed and acceleration too drastically if those items were left unlocked then any attempt at BoP would be fruitless .

You could still influence stability and handling traits with other suspension adjustments including spring rates and dampening to shift weight better during braking and acceleration.

So if you go to a race that does not allow those upgrades, do you think you should still be able to race?

No, I don't think I should be allowed to race. But why would I be interested in racing in a race like that anyway? That is the point of this thread, we want Kaz to wakeup and move forward. He will soon find all the dedicated GT fans have moved over to Project Cars where the "Race Engineer" will help you tune your car if you are having problems, but at the very least, the owner can tune the car they are racing.
Cheers, Pete

No, I don't think I should be allowed to race. But why would I be interested in racing in a race like that anyway? That is the point of this thread, we want Kaz to wakeup and move forward. He will soon find all the dedicated GT fans have moved over to Project Cars where the "Race Engineer" will help you tune your car if you are having problems, but at the very least, the owner can tune the car they are racing.
Cheers, Pete

When Sport mode was introduced tuning was available, they took it away for whatever reason. I speculate the reason was everyone was using the same one or two makes, which is also what is happening now.

I totally disagree on what you said about being the best feature, tuning up a car is the right way to go in sports mode and it has taking away the level on how good you are on tuning.
And PD calls it "The Real Driving Simulator", which is a no at the moment.

That's the problem though. Not everyone is good enough at tuning. Right now it's a balance of getting the best car vs driving skills.

I do think we should have tuning but maybe limit it to suspension only? Considering gearing is going to make the biggest difference in a win/lose. And definitely easier to mess up and completely ruin than anything else.

That's the problem though. Not everyone is good enough at tuning. Right now it's a balance of getting the best car vs driving skills.

I do think we should have tuning but maybe limit it to suspension only? Considering gearing is going to make the biggest difference in a win/lose. And definitely easier to mess up and completely ruin than anything else.
You do not have to be good at tuning, you can get tunes on here to try and if you can not find a tune for that car a tuner on here will make up a car for you, that's what I did in GT6 and then I learn about tuning cars as I went along to do races and time trials. Sports mode should be on hp and weight limit only.

You do not have to be good at tuning, you can get tunes on here to try and if you can not find a tune for that car a tuner on here will make up a car for you, that's what I did in GT6 and then I learn about tuning cars as I went along to do races and time trials. Sports mode should be on hp and weight limit only.

While that is true. Not everyone has the time for that either. It's easier and faster to hop on a race which is why they likely changed it. People who tune the cars are going to be faster than those who don't.

I wouldn't be opposed to having races that allows this and other races that dont. That seems to be the best solution Imo.

Back