Turn 10 Confirms Microtransaction Plans for Forza 7

So..

It's entirely optional
It provides no advantage
The game is balanced otherwise
You can get all the content legit anyway
It's not gambling.

Now please explain then why it actually is necessary at all, particularly in the form of loot boxes rather than just spend x CR for y reward/content?
As long as you can explain what actual advantage people are getting from this aside from speeding a progression system. How is it hindering me if I don't use real money?

As long as you can explain what actual advantage people are getting from this aside from speeding a progression system. How is it hindering me if I don't use real money?

No it's not hindering you, but it does affect others.

We should all be against these types of things being in video games because sooner or later they will affect you. Again, why the need for Loot Boxes? What gameplay design do they enhance?
Why not just pay credits for reward instead of a slot machine payout?

No it's not hindering you, but it does affect others.

We should all be against these types of things being in video games because sooner or later they will affect you. Again, why the need for Loot Boxes? What gameplay design do they enhance?
Why not just pay credits for reward instead of a slot machine payout?
5 games with it this generation and it hasn't affected us yet. If that changes with this iteration we'll have to wait and see, and if that happens my opinion will change.

Glad I didn't preorder this nor will I get it any time soon.
Glad I ordered the standard edition. FM6 is great fun and all but it doesn't quite look the same on a UHD television.

It's not gambling at this time, at least not per the legal definition. Gambling requires you to wager material goods to win material goods, typically money. Right now players are using fake currency to win digital prizes with credits they earned in the game. There's no actual money or goods exchanging hands. Right now it's more of a "mini game" than anything else.

Once tokens are introduced though, then yes, it'll be gambling to some degree if you can use those tokens to buy crates. However, I'm not really sure the legality of it since you aren't actually winning anything material. If you could convert those tokens back into money though, then there would be an issue.

I'm sure the MS and T10 legal team have looked over the plans though.
Video games have escaped legal scrutiny for the time being. China was in the process of forcing the games industry to disclose loot box rates per gambling regulations but avoided it for the moment.

It doesn't need to be a material good for you to be able to gamble it. It can be a digital good as well, for example.

There was a pretty big scandal with CSGO last year. https://dotesports.com/counter-strike/csgo-gambling-scandal-explained-3545

Technically I suppose it's not gambling since you always get exactly what's in the description, the only difference is what you get. You can't lose. I guess that's how they manage to stay within the laws (then again I am not a lawyer, so maybe someone in here can clarify or correct me on this).

I can understand the discussion from both sides though, I have a bit of dilemma regarding loot-boxes myself:

On one side, these boxes use psychological mechanisms to get you to spend money (not yet in FM7, but that's coming) and those mechanisms are the same ones involved in gambling (or more specifically: addiction, not just gambling). So from a moral perspective, I think there's a sliding slope here, despite being completely optional.

Then again, I'm the kind of person that happily spends a few tenners at these (e.g. Fortnite) and then leave it at that. I'm not spending hundreds on boxes of euros or buying a single car for several tens of euros. And it's completely optional (so far), so it's not hindering anyone else.

5 games with it this generation and it hasn't affected us yet. If that changes with this iteration we'll have to wait and see, and if that happens my opinion will change.

Us? Likely true but not absolute. I assume you have all these disabled then?

It's definitely a technicality.. and it may not effect you or me and it may not be needed (at this moment, in this game) but it's still designed to cr eat spenders and it will work on people that impulse shop.

There is a reason gambling is illegal in most places, some people cannot control that impulse. Video game industry is on to that and capitalizing.

The main issue I have with it is I have kids, that, have gotten grounded in the past already for spending big (real) money without consent because they didn't understand the effect of pushing that "buy" button over and over again.

I am a gamer so I was ready for it, (kinda). But I feel bad for these parents that just get a massive bill one day and don't know what or how. Now that it's becoming the norm for console games, it's going to create a big problem for some.

Edit:
Zim!!
Don't use the time machine!
Love, Zim!!

Us? Likely true but not absolute. I assume you have all these disabled then?
Maybe not, but if that's the case can you explain how it may have affected people since it's inclusion in every game since Forza 5?

I never had them disabled, and even with it open to view in my game, it was still a non-issue. They where never forced, even when visible.

Granted he raises some good points, but shouldn't we wait to see exactly how they are implemented before jumping to conclusions? At this point we don't even know if you can buy loot crates with real money.

I wonder how much they will be, these loot boxes? Because I'll be honest with you guys, I'd probably buy a couple(or ten, depending on price), here and there....if they are a reasonable price.

I don't understand the uproar, I mean I guess I do?? It's a freaking Loot Box....with an outfit and maybe some mod cars, a super low chance (apparently from what I'm seeing) of a decent car. Are we really upset about this? If they had a thing where you could buy tokens to use to buy cars in the auction house, I could see that..maybe. But you know what, if there was a bad ass rare car going for more credits than I had, I would totally buy some tokens with real life money to get that guy. That would be opening a can of worms I guess, because you'd the have a real life price on stuff being sold, and economy something something blah, you get what I'm saying though.

Am I the only one, that's curious just a little bit, on how much these loot boxes will cost, because maybe I might to buy one?

Granted he raises some good points, but shouldn't we wait to see exactly how they are implemented before jumping to conclusions? At this point we don't even know if you can buy loot crates with real money.

But we waited already, those conclusions came to fruition, I think it's pretty safe to assume now. Turn 10s silence since E3 had become so transparent, I think we all know the direction this franchise is headed by now.

But we waited already, those conclusions came to fruition, I think it's pretty safe to assume now. Turn 10s silence since E3 had become so transparent, I think we all know the direction this franchise is headed by now.
Yes, we've waited, and we still are. Information has not been released yet. That's all that's being said.

Surely you know the saying about assuming things?

I just see nothing good coming from jumping to conclusion on things when we don't know all the details.

I wonder how much they will be, these loot boxes? Because I'll be honest with you guys, I'd probably buy a couple(or ten, depending on price), here and there....if they are a reasonable price.

I don't understand the uproar, I mean I guess I do?? It's a freaking Loot Box....with an outfit and maybe some mod cars, a super low chance (apparently from what I'm seeing) of a decent car. Are we really upset about this? If they had a thing where you could buy tokens to use to buy cars in the auction house, I could see that..maybe. But you know what, if there was a bad ass rare car going for more credits than I had, I would totally buy some tokens with real life money to get that guy. That would be opening a can of worms I guess, because you'd the have a real life price on stuff being sold, and economy something something blah, you get what I'm saying though.

Am I the only one, that's curious just a little bit, on how much these loot boxes will cost, because maybe I might to buy one?
Honestly, the legendary car pack is a pretty good deal. I bought 10 (maybe less) and I got 3 legendaries and 4 super rare.

Generally you get a car worth around 300k, a suit and two mods.

Only got one bad box so far.

Watch this video by Jim Sterling on Shadow of War's loot boxes (linked because NSFW) to see why loot boxes are so vilified.

Watch this video by Jim Sterling on Shadow of War's loot boxes (linked because NSFW) to see why loot boxes are so vilified.
I understand why they are villified in certain games, especially games with a PvP element. They will/can give you an advantage over other players. This isn't making you any faster, isn't going to affect any leaderboards in any way whatsoever. The only thing I will say, and I don't know maybe this won't be possible if they set it up a certain way, is if a person with lots of monies was using it to get in game currency to outbid people in the auction house. Selling the cars they get for credits.

My stance is that it's no coincidence that the VIP pass is borderline worthless in this game and that we're getting micro-transactions later. Because if the VIP mods were permanent, what reason would most people have to buy into the micro-transactions, regardless of how they're implemented? I can't think of any other logical explanation to gut the VIP pass so badly compared to previous games.

Here is what's in FM6's VIP pass as a reminder:

Exclusive cars, new events, and more await with Forza Motorsport 6 VIP membership! Forza Motorsport 6 VIP members receive five exclusive VIP cars, including the 2013 Ferrari 458 Speciale, 2012 Aston Martin V12 Zagato, 2013 Lamborghini Veneno, 2016 Ford Shelby GT350R, and the 1997 McLaren F1. VIPs will receive additional benefits, including double race earnings, access to exclusive online events, community gifts, and more. Get your VIP membership today!

This is certainly more valuable than what we currently have in FM7.

I defenitely fear that they'll include the option to buy crates with real money, but we'll see what happens. I'm not optimistic though.

Surely you know the saying about assuming things?

I just see nothing good coming from jumping to conclusion on things when we don't know all the details.

This is what I do know through gtplanet, forza, and reddit, along with my own experience with loot boxes in multiple games across multiple platforms to include Mobile games in still very much active (and a whale) in.

In regards to FM7.. let's start with the Vega, if your buying the game because you want more than anything than to drive a vega around well you have problems.. it's locked in those very loot boxes.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...stead-of-a-Game--Forza--Pachinko-Edition.aspx

Does it effect the game in terms of completion yes AND no..
No because you can beat the game. Yes because if your primary purpose was to modify and drive cars more specifically all the cars, then its not going to happen, not for everyone.

Now I'll get more into the loot system.

Loot system is slot machine gambling in its rawest form. There is no arguing that unless you're only after semantics.

You grind for an economic gain, you use that economic gain to push a button for chance you get what you want out of it.. Some people like the above post, win big. Some people get average out of it and some people break their controller throwing it through the screen of their tv..

There's no actual money system at this point in time, but that is very likely to change unless MS realizes the backlash coming from this. It is the second time they have implemented this scheme. That means they have a hard time learning or they really want this in their games at all costs. Eventually even if not in this game it looks like they will push until it does in a later rendition of FM7.

I know assuming is bad I'm on a roll lately assuming with turn 10, as I have stated, in other threads, after E3, their silence and actions are telling enough. It doesn't take a jet mechanic to troubleshoot this system and see where this framchise is headed.

Does it effect the game in terms of completion yes AND no..
No because you can beat the game. Yes because if your primary purpose was to modify and drive cars more specifically all the cars, then its not going to happen, not for everyone
Yes it will happen for everyone, just at a slower rate, if this is actually how it turns out to be. This also isn't rocket science.

I wont... and if you honestly don't care than don't read the comments in here, or reply to the thread you don't care about.. easy peasy....

So... only people who are annoyed about microtransactions should comment in this thread?

Good read this

Couple things about this:
-The easiest way to get a car is to buy it. It looks like only a handful of cars are locked behind a loot crate or other form of acquiring. This isn't different from Gran Turismo or how other games like to hide their best assets. Don't care for it, not going to place full blame on T10, though. It's unfortunate industry standard.
-Cars all cost more money is false. Some took a big increase, some actually decreased. Based on a small selection, cars like the EB110 SS, R8, & Ford GT '17 incresed. Others like the 695 Biposto, Datsun racing 280ZX car & the Noble M600 decreased.
-There are no more assist bonuses is true. AI assist bonus is still there, however.
-AI should not be mentioned if one doesn't think it has any bearing on the economy. It was thrown in to fill this list out.
-I'm lost on this last one; he has to be referring to something else. I'm looking at my "Upgrade & Tune" screen right now. All the same options as before.

This strikes as someone who used his background of working in the gaming industry to validate his comments on the game without actually fact checking them. I work in the car industry; doesn't mean I can tell another brand they put something together wrong without actually inspecting it.

I really don't care honestly, if you don't want it don't buy it
That's all well and said, but Microtransactions are not going anywhere till people not impulse buy on that stuff. The MTs have gotten to the point where every Triple A title almost does the same thing over and over again. For Forza though, the situation may change depending on how they set the game up with MTs. The only excess money was from car DLC packs that only come a fine in a dime a dozen. If it does do so then you'll most likely not get the DLC cars you want because it ruins your chances for getting a car you like. If it was with the FM2 system of things then I would happyly unlock all the cars that are locked away at the beginning of the game. Not just spin a wheel and hope to get 'lucky' I hate that type of style. That's why I didn't like FM6 to begin with.

Last edited:
Not really fussed about Micro transactions really as I don't spend money in game in any game anyway. My concern is the loss of ways for making extra cash by disabling assists, in reading about Forza 7 I came across something that basically said that the ability to earn bonus cash is now relegated to those goofy cards. Can anyone verify this as true or not, I read this stuff in an article on Ars a few days ago so I'm not certain is on the level. I didn't think those idiotic cards were going to come back and in such a big way, were folks really clamoring for these things? MT has been in Forza since Forza 4 with those token things, it's not new but each iteration changes how they are implemented slowly and this example I mentioned is one way it took away the option Forza always had to make extra credits by change assists.

Now you have to rely on card packs housing the credit boosters, forcing players to use mod cards(assuming Ars story is right). This is a problem that's only going to get worse, don't even sit there and think "...oh let's give them a chance...". No big company ever self policies so don't even mention that nonsense, which is why there are laws to limit their ability to make decisions that directly conflict with protecting consumer interest/satisfaction, you cannot trust big companies to "do the right thing". The same way you cannot trust a country full of individuals to commit to human decency without laws dictating it. Thank the stars for folks who didn't trust other humans enough to leave them to their own devices, crafting laws and limits to prevent abuse or consolidated power.

Like I said it doesn't really affect me, but as I idly sit by and keep buying each Forza game that seems to include MT more and more, it only signals to them that it's ok. I can consider my negligent actions as a dereliction of duty, if something added to the game doesn't make sense I should draw attention to it. Find out why it's there and discuss it, question it, never take it for granted that the company placed it there to "help" anyone else besides themselves. No company is a friend of the little guy(consumer),they may start out that way(or have that ideal) but once you go public and have a board of directors with interests in returns on their investment how quickly that company stance will shift. There is meaning in everything a company does when it comes to a product they make, take nothing for granted especially if it looks suspiciously like a way to monetize impatience.

Back