Turn 10 Confirms No New Forza Motorsport in 2019

Yeah that was my worry moving forward. I know plenty people like both, but for me it's troubling that they're always gonna try and appease/appeal to the Horizon fans with every Motorsport game now.
Chris once said in a monthly that the team recognise that some games without motorsport in their name focused more on it. Let's wait for FM8 and see what they focus on.

yeah you get better trees around the track and slightly more round headlights, but honestly most people don't give a crap about that
It's funny, because if we just use this forum as an example, apparently a crap ton of people care about that enough to berate Forza for not having better trees :lol:

@SimTourist
I'd argue racing simulation changes quite a bit over the years. Obviously we are looking at an evolution rather than an revolution, but experience an endurance race with 64 cars, impactful weather, 24h cycle, ... in pCars on console is different than what FM or even GT had to offer over the years.

I am fine with an evolution in racing games, because this genre doesn't fit an revolution. As pCars2 showed, trying to take care of to much disciplines (tarmac, dirt, ...) can create more problems than it benefits the experience.

Yeah that was my worry moving forward. I know plenty people like both, but for me it's troubling that they're always gonna try and appease/appeal to the Horizon fans with every Motorsport game now.

I think they tried going down that road with FM7 and realized that it won't work, which is why we've seen things like Experimental Drag Racing and race regulations introduced well after the initial launch. I'm not expecting Assetto Corsa level realism, but I think FM8 will be a major step back in the direction of being a sim.

@SimTourist
I'd argue racing simulation changes quite a bit over the years. Obviously we are looking at an evolution rather than an revolution, but experience an endurance race with 64 cars, impactful weather, 24h cycle, ... in pCars on console is different than what FM or even GT had to offer over the years.

I am fine with an evolution in racing games, because this genre doesn't fit an revolution. As pCars2 showed, trying to take care of to much disciplines (tarmac, dirt, ...) can create more problems than it benefits the experience.
It's the obvious evolution, but ultimately the impact of those features on the actual experience is rather small. I hate driving in the rain IRL and I hate it in games, AI is usually not competent or interesting enough to make endurance racing interesting either, and so on. Personally I've fallen out of love with racing games as soon as I got my first car, today I have a 2 hour commute every day and the last thing I want to do when I get home is to drive more. Loved racers as a teenager though. Maybe these games aren't for me anymore.

When Lego cars come to Forza, I believe they are in desperate need of a break. Hope they come up with something, anything other than some fantasy stuff no one asked for.

I mean did anyone ever ask for the GMC Vandura?? I can't believe many people did but it is now one of the most popular vehicles in the franchise.

That’s not enlightening to hear. Wonder what they’ve been doing since FM7; surely the whole team has not been behind these small updates.

- Working on the engine to bring it up to next-gen specs.
- Doing another pass on all of the existing car models, to increase detail levels.
- Re-modeling all of the tracks, to increase overall levels of detail.
- Continuing to work on updating the sound libraries for the cars.
- Scanning new vehicles and tracks for the next game.
- Potentially re-working and re-writing tools like the livery/paint editor for next-gen, in response to feedback about features and drawbacks.
- And yes, working on features for FM7, that they presumably plan to migrate into the next game.

There's lots of work to do on a racing game, that doesn't involve the structure of the actual game. 343 Industries took something like two years just to rework the engine for Halo Infinite (into the new Slipspace engine), and that team is way bigger than Turn 10.

As for a release date, I think I expect FM8 in 2021 now, though I still think there's a ~30% chance we get one in 2020 at launch. They won't completely rebuild the game from the ground up, like someone else absurdly mentioned, but I suspect they'll take extra time to make sure they don't have another FM5 on their hands.

Last edited:
If the next forza motorsport really is 2 years out then I would hope they have more for us in FM7 to hold us over. Even with the massive library of cars slowly approaching 900 theres still some more motorsport type of cars and even road cars they can add. Then theres some tracks we could certainly use even if it's just like 2, we need something fresh and new by now. And continuous tweaks for online and freeplay can really go a long way for the next year +. I just hope they arent done yet with this game because it's almost there.

If the next forza motorsport really is 2 years out then I would hope they have more for us in FM7 to hold us over. Even with the massive library of cars slowly approaching 900 theres still some more motorsport type of cars and even road cars they can add. Then theres some tracks we could certainly use even if it's just like 2, we need something fresh and new by now. And continuous tweaks for online and freeplay can really go a long way for the next year +. I just hope they arent done yet with this game because it's almost there.

Well, the game is still in active development with the FRR and whatnot. The game is rapidly approaching two years old though, so I have no idea what to expect in terms of new CONTENT (tracks, cars, whatever) past a certain point.

Well, the game is still in active development with the FRR and whatnot. The game is rapidly approaching two years old though, so I have no idea what to expect in terms of new CONTENT (tracks, cars, whatever) past a certain point.

Heh. Hoping they'll throw us a bone and keep adding future-proofed assets to FM7 while they work on FM8... Especially if they are targeting a 2021 release.

It's a good thing T10 has been building up its library of cars since FM5, including past cars and giving them Forzavista levels of detail like the new ones added (such as engine bays, interiors, and other components on the cars).

However, we can't have another GTS situation where T10 has to annihilate all its content and add them all back in later as DLC. Plus, I especially don't want another esport title. What I want most from T10 is keep improving the formula, add more new features, cars and tracks (especially tracks such as city courses), and rallycross for off roading vehicles. I can live without seasons because it will probably be selectable for certain tracks, and no one wants that (me included). So instead, work on dynamic time/weather and day & night cycle.

Continuing on with tracks, I want to see not only new tracks, but also returning ones like Camino Viejo de Monserrat, Rally di Positano, etc. Oh, and we can't forget about Dirtfish - that be good for a live stream! :D

Currently loving that T10 is fixing the online side; continue with that, and FM8 will be gold for most, especially for Forza RC for competitive racing. FH4's online has been really clean thanks to the new penalty system (it's a little harsh, but at least it drove away the rammers.) FM7 needs to be next.

Overall I'm happy with FM7, and adding more to it will be icing on the cake. The better it becomes via updates, the stronger FM8 will be at launch.

Please add Rallycross in the next game T10! 👍

It's a good thing T10 has been building up its library of cars since FM5, including past cars and giving them Forzavista levels of detail like the new ones added (such as engine bays, interiors, and other components on the cars).

However, we can't have another GTS situation where T10 has to annihilate all its content and add them all back in later as DLC. Plus, I especially don't want another esport title. What I want most from T10 is keep improving the formula, add more new features, cars and tracks (especially tracks such as city courses), and rallycross for off roading vehicles. I can live without seasons because it will probably be selectable for certain tracks, and no one wants that (me included). So instead, work on dynamic time/weather and day & night cycle.

Continuing on with tracks, I want to see not only new tracks, but also returning ones like Camino Viejo de Monserrat, Rally di Positano, etc. Oh, and we can't forget about Dirtfish - that be good for a live stream! :D

Currently loving that T10 is fixing the online side; continue with that, and FM8 will be gold for most, especially for Forza RC for competitive racing. FH4's online has been really clean thanks to the new penalty system (it's a little harsh, but at least it drove away the rammers.) FM7 needs to be next.

Overall I'm happy with FM7, and adding more to it will be icing on the cake. The better it becomes via updates, the stronger FM8 will be at launch.

Please add Rallycross in the next game T10! 👍

I doubt all of their work needs to be annihilated, but I absolutely expect that they'll need (or want) to do a new visual pass on every single car they intend to carry over to FM8. The Forzavista models are clearly more detailed than the ones in actual gameplay, so the brunt of the actual modeling work could already be done for a next-gen game.

For FM8, my primary hope is just that they spend a lot of time building out the nuts and bolts of the game, to refine the experience. FM7 online is an incredibly raw experience still even now, unlike GT Sport with it's penalty system, and sportsmanship rating, and so on. FM7, by contrast, continues to be a bit of a chaotic free-for-all in many hoppers. Refine the hopper voting so that you can't get the same track twice, and every other race isn't some permutation of VIR. Refine the gameplay so that you actually see pit stops happening, and can fiddle with stuff like fuel and tire compounds - or make "pro" hoppers that include that kind of functionality. Change it so the default race length isn't always about 4 minutes, outside of the endurance hopper.

These are all smaller things that add up in the bigger picture.

I also really want to see them work on the lighting model, which is the other place Gran Turismo is pretty handily "beating" them. FM7's lighting doesn't look BAD, but it is noticeably more drab compared to GTS.

I doubt all of their work needs to be annihilated, but I absolutely expect that they'll need (or want) to do a new visual pass on every single car they intend to carry over to FM8. The Forzavista models are clearly more detailed than the ones in actual gameplay, so the brunt of the actual modeling work could already be done for a next-gen game.

For FM8, my primary hope is just that they spend a lot of time building out the nuts and bolts of the game, to refine the experience. FM7 online is an incredibly raw experience still even now, unlike GT Sport with it's penalty system, and sportsmanship rating, and so on. FM7, by contrast, continues to be a bit of a chaotic free-for-all in many hoppers. Refine the hopper voting so that you can't get the same track twice, and every other race isn't some permutation of VIR. Refine the gameplay so that you actually see pit stops happening, and can fiddle with stuff like fuel and tire compounds - or make "pro" hoppers that include that kind of functionality. Change it so the default race length isn't always about 4 minutes, outside of the endurance hopper.

These are all smaller things that add up in the bigger picture.

I also really want to see them work on the lighting model, which is the other place Gran Turismo is pretty handily "beating" them. FM7's lighting doesn't look BAD, but it is noticeably more drab compared to GTS.
Yeah the online side really needs improving before the next game. Same with lighting, which I admit, does need some tweaking. Other than those two things, T10 has GT beat when it comes to content and features; something GT itself is struggling to keep up with if we're talking about cars.

There really isn't much GT has that Forza lacks, so hopefully T10 can get the important stuff done till then.

Can’t say I am particularly bothered. I suppose it means the next Horizon (if there is one) may not be on the Xbox One...

Back