Turn 10 Reveals First Details on Forza 7's Race Regulations System

Sounda like it was overdue. As i haven't played Forza Motorsport online, i don't have much understanding in its way it does things. I can assume it will be similar to GTS but that its a bit worse with having a no penalty system.

I don't play Forza and I probably never will, but as more games get rating and penalty systems (Assetto Corsa Competizione will probably have one as well), we might see that those games learn from each other. I don't feel that the GTS system is broken as some people say, I just think it can be improved a lot and hopefully Turn 10 has some good ideas that PD can learn from.

Sounda like it was overdue. As i haven't played Forza Motorsport online, i don't have much understanding in its way it does things. I can assume it will be similar to GTS but that its a bit worse with having a no penalty system.

Currently, it has no penalty system in place whatsoever. While I've lucked out and had predominantly clean races online, there's nothing stopping someone from punting you. There's no real way to gauge other players either; there's the League system, which splits the community up into skill-based tiers a la Sport's DR, but that's only one portion of online.

It remains to be seen how the car-to-car impacts affect the penalties, but judging by the brief glimpse in the video, corner cutting penalties have a system behind them to dole out times based on severity.

I don't play Forza and I probably never will, but as more games get rating and penalty systems (Assetto Corsa Competizione will probably have one as well), we might see that those games learn from each other. I don't feel that the GTS system is broken as some people say, I just think it can be improved a lot and hopefully Turn 10 has some good ideas that PD can learn from.

That's sort of what I'm hoping for. In a few years time, all the games will have some level of rating/penalty system, and competition will improve the breed. 👍

Good idea, but why so late...?!

Good question. Turn 10 even mentioned something along these lines pre-release. And FM2 has a corner-cutting penalty system in place.

If I had to guess, I'd say the pressure for FM7's release was all about the One X. Getting all the assets up to that quality couldn't have been easy, and unfortunately, something had to give. It's encouraging to see these improvements now though; better late than never!

Indianapolis’ infield, not Daytona as the article says.

D'oh, that's what I get for writing an article well past the time I should've been in bed. Fixed! 👍

Forza has never been about fairness and clean racing. While not perfect, the Rules enforcement and Penalty system on PCars2 makes others adhere to the rules or be limited to the lobbies they can join. The Safety rating system works with your on track behavior, it helps to level the playing field.

No mention here of the exaggerated crash physics. That feature needs to go. It encourages crashing. You know what I mean, when you barely 'tap' someone from behind and they going flying away into the tires. That feature belongs in 'Mario Kart' not in Forza. (maybe some events in Forza Horizon). But not in a racing simulator. What's even more annoying is that it's not like that in the rest of the game.

Good question. Turn 10 even mentioned something along these lines pre-release. And FM2 has a corner-cutting penalty system in place.

From what I remember, Forza 2's penalty was a slap on the wrist. People still cut corners as if they were sampling Steak. On top of that, all the penalty did was add seconds to your lap times, and knock you down on the Leader Board, but on some courses with one of the famed "Rocket Cars"; one could set a ridiculously fast time by cutting corners, and the penalty would still put them out of reach by anyone who kept at least 2 tires on one side of a car, on track.

Turn 10's answer to that problem was more Sticky Grass, invalidated lap times, and eventually view obstructing tire barriers. Had Turn 10 do something like having in game race entry fees (that you'd get back upon completing the race), forfeiting positions for excessive or repeated cutting, losing all winnings for repeated ramming and, having the player pay in game credits for post race vehicle up-keep (like in Sega GT 2002 and Sega GTO), that would stop griefing. After an hour of driving like a mule, the griefer wouldn't have enough credits to play the game online.

If other games/sims were to implement a good, fair and effective penalty system. I doubt Turn 10 would pay it any attention.

When is this to take place? Because I get hammered around all over the track repeatedly until I am in last place nearly every time. I am getting so sick of any event that isn't ghost. I am in Pinnacle bracket too, and it's the leaders who hammer you all over the track and blatantly smash into you. Every race at the beginning there is a pileup, if you make it through you are rewarded with someone bashing you from behind, so they can get 7th place. I mean WHAT IS THE POINT? for what is this a gain? Do we find this entertaining? I hear everybody talk of clean racing, and yet this attitude appears to be the minority. Only 1 ghost hopper in league play each week. What if I WANT TO RACE PORSCHE S CLASS ? I have to put up with this crap each time. I am not the best racer, true, but can't I have the opportunity to try to race amongst the best? I go out of my way to be clean, even letting cars pass me cleanly, getting out of the way after I mess up and letting car behind go ahead. This post is a waste, when is this gonna take place? Huh? After everyone is tired of League racing, when nobody cares anymore? Seriously, the Online portion of this game is Mario Kart. Why don't they give us guns and grenades to throw at other cars? Special weapons and power ups? Anything to please the kiddies. What a waste.

RANT OVER....

@AlienDeathRay

Whatever you do, please keep duking it out in rivals.

I've given up on public racing when Turn 10 got rid of custom public lobbies. In Forza 2, I ran rooms where no assist was allowed. Yes people complained, but for the most part, the racing was clean, because boneheads were booted after heinous incidents. But when T10 switched to the Hopper system in FM3, I slowly started to play less online, unless it was with some Racing League friends. These days, I don't even race with them due to my work schedule. So I occasionally jump into a hopper, just to get my fill of inept racing. Then I call it a year. LOL.

I know Turn 10 will never bring Custom Public Lobbies back due to the Hopper system being less of a strain on their servers, so the need for some policing in Forza is beyond overdue. They can't roll this out fast enough.

Back