Turning off aids and switching to manual

• Thread starter HatMarris
  • 49 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi

I can see if I truly want to immerse myself in this game (as well as get quicker) I am going to have to bite the bullet and learn manual and turn off aids.

But do any of you have advice on what order I should try to do this. Is there a way that makes more sense?

At the mo I generally am on AT with tcs at 1 or 2 , countersteer weak and the rest at whatever the default setting is. I use a controller if that has any bearing on which things would be easier.

Thanks

Start with turning counter steer assist off, and turn the racing line off if you have that on. If you need markers, use the cones (eventually you want to ditch the cones too).

You can leave ABS on weak, pretty sure a lot of people do that.

Next I’d make the switch to manual. Once you get decent with the manual transmission, you’ll learn that you can use it to help control wheelspin.

Then, turn the TCS off (but keep in mind, it’s “realistic” to run TCS on many cars, but the TCS is GTS is pretty crude, so most people try to avoid using it).

I'd say start with turning off countersteer, and gradually switch to manual. Once you feel comfortable with manual, tune down TCS until you eventually hit 0.* lastly, once you feel really comfortable, turn off ASM. It takes a while, but once you get more comfortable racing with less assists, it'll become second nature. Took me a while as well on the controller, but it's doable! Be patient and stay commited. :)

E - * my exception is when starting from 0mph. Have TCS at 1 or 2, and then turn it off when that car is stable.
The other exception is with the Vulcan. That one is a monster.

E 2 - The only assist I have on is ABS and I think it's set at Weak. I think very few people have it at Off.

Many thanks to you all.

I know once you master the aids off you can be faster (it just takes a lot of work)

To be honest I’m no great racer (I suffer a bit with anxiety and find race situations - even against people I don’t know - difficult. But I think I would improve that if I felt I at least had very good car control

@HatMarris - I'd say turn the lot off, put ABS on weak, & find a low powered sports car to learn with. The MX5 (untuned) at Tsukuba on Comfort tyres was a great combo in previous titles, haven't personally tested it in GT Sport yet, but something like that will teach you a lot more about car control than starting out in a race car. By the way, welcome to GT Planet, & all the best with your virtual racing.

:)

Many thanks to you all.

I know once you master the aids off you can be faster (it just takes a lot of work)

To be honest I’m no great racer (I suffer a bit with anxiety and find race situations - even against people I don’t know - difficult. But I think I would improve that if I felt I at least had very good car control

Keep ABS to Default.

CSA
MARKERS
MANUAL
TCS

Start with turning counter steer assist off, and turn the racing line off if you have that on. If you need markers, use the cones (eventually you want to ditch the cones too).

You can leave ABS on weak, pretty sure a lot of people do that.

Next I’d make the switch to manual. Once you get decent with the manual transmission, you’ll learn that you can use it to help control wheelspin.

Then, turn the TCS off (but keep in mind, it’s “realistic” to run TCS on many cars, but the TCS is GTS is pretty crude, so most people try to avoid using it).

If I use a car that has TCS, like the Audi R8 LMS, I will put the TCS on, but only set it to 1, to give an example as to what he's saying.

Many thanks to you all.

Not to play doctor and diagnose you, but if you’re talking about just having those issues while racing, that might not be anxiety, it might be a massive shot of adrenaline that you’re not used to. Even after 1000s of online races, I’ll still get crazy butterflies, heart racing, foot tapping away like mad. It’s just that now, I’m used to it, and can kind of control it to help me focus even more. It’s why I race people online though, it’s the only place I can find that kind of adrenaline rush, aside from when I used to outrun avalanches on my skies (which I’ve decided to not do anymore :P)

I use a controller if that has any bearing on which things would be easier.
VBR
I'd say turn the lot off, put ABS on weak, & find a low powered sports car to learn with. The MX5 (untuned) at Tsukuba on Comfort tyres was a great combo in previous titles...

I tested the Mazda Roadster S 2015 in GT Sport at Tsukuba, & it's still an absolutely awesome car to learn in. It has progressive loss of grip, which happens slowly, & is easy to recover slides in. Make sure tyres are Comfort, not Sports, I used Mediums & they were perfect.

Controller tips: Firstly, make sure that Controller Sensitivity is set to 7. When you steer with the right analog stick, push it all the way forwards & then move it in a semicircle to steer (no more than 90 degrees). This will give you much smoother steering inputs, & thus more car control. Whatever you do, don't flick it left & right as it may upset the car (& will also look awful in replays). Set the right analog stick to manual gear change, towards you to go up a gear & away from you to go down a gear. This will feel the closest to a sequential gear stick in a real car. Also, use R2 to accelerate & L2 to brake; never use any other buttons to do this as they are not analog & you will have little to no control over the throttle & brake response.

Good luck!

:)

Thanks again for the replies. Seems a very helpful forum for a question that has probably been asked many times before

I’ll follow advice and take the MX5 out

I did just do daily race A and took countersteer off. I couldn’t really feel any difference with the exception of the last bend where the car wanted to oversteer (or my steering is a bit heavy handed) and I had to be careful. And my lap times didn’t suffer with it off

I’ve been doing cockpit view forever, and cones. All other off except for abs weak. If the throttle/brake positioning with the triggers used the full trigger movement it would be even better. I recently also shut the hud off. That really pulls you in and demands attention at every corner. Love it.

Hi

I can see if I truly want to immerse myself in this game (as well as get quicker) I am going to have to bite the bullet and learn manual and turn off aids.

But do any of you have advice on what order I should try to do this. Is there a way that makes more sense?

At the mo I generally am on AT with tcs at 1 or 2 , countersteer weak and the rest at whatever the default setting is. I use a controller if that has any bearing on which things would be easier.

Thanks
The way is did it way back when was first no aids then manual. I don't think there is a right way.

Hi

Thanks
Go to manual straight away, leave TC at 1 and then bite the bullet and remove traction altogether. When you have mastered manual, you can short shift easily and compensate for the difficulty of not have traction control on. TBH I still use TCS 1 often especially on the first lap of Weekly races, just better when you are bumping around through the first few corners.

Hi

Thanks
All off and go from there

As in real life with auto you can only control your speed with braking.

With manual you can control you speed with gears.

This is a major increase in controlability.

To be quite honest, if I had to use automatic in GT Sport or any racing sim I'd give up this sport. Its not worth my time driving auto.

The last auto driving sim I drove (that I had a choice) was Geoff Crammond's F1 GP or "World Circuit"... yes... the early 90's.

If you learned to drive a manual car in real life then there's no reason why you do auto in games.

Lastly, I'm always bemused when GT Sport asks you for auto or manual in drifting. Is there really a choice? Like really?

Turn everything off except ABS and switch to manual. That's the fastest way to get used to it.
I was using automatic and assists since GT4 and GT Sport was my first GT where I finally decided to make a change and it's the best decision I made. I became much more skilled and it also made me love racing and cars even more. Once you get used to it, you will never want manual and assists again.
Manual is probably the easiest to get used to, it took me about 2-3 days get used it. But what was really difficult was driving without assists. I spinned almost in every corner, and it took me about a month to get fully used to it. Just train and it will be ok.

Why Manual over Auto? Serious question. I've been using Auto for years.

Some cars drop out of their power band when they redline, so short shifting is actually faster in them. However, I can only remember one car that did this in Gran Turismo.

Feeling pretty good about myself after reading all the expert advice in this thread. I have 120+ wins by using the worst/slowest driving methods mentioned here. I use CSA, ABS default, TCS, D-pad to steer, and the buttons for gas/brake. I would however, like to transition to L2 + R2 for gas + brake, so I can go to TCS 1 or 0.

Last edited:
Feeling pretty good about myself after reading all the expert advice in this thread. I have 120+ wins by using the worst/slowest driving methods mentioned here. I use CSA, ABS default, TCS, D-pad to steer, and the buttons for gas/brake. I would however, like to transition to L2 + R2 for gas + brake, so I can got to TCS 1 or 0.
Does that have anything to do with tanking your DR rating ;)

Does that have anything to do with tanking your DR rating ;)
:guilty: Oh, yeah, I've definitely had a couple resets because of SR, and gotten some cheap wins. You can see that on my KP profile. I'd say my last 20 wins have been at DRA SRS. I'm not a great racer, but I steer clear of the races that I know I'll get slaughtered in.

I've heard contradicting advice regarding short shifting on corner entry. If I'm having a ropey exit (getting that sideways feeling) I will usually shift up instead of lifting off the throttle and rolling it out. A lot of people seem to say that's a good strategy as a higher gear will help stabilise the car. However I've heard some people say it's one of the worst things you can do and it's better to lift off.

I use a pad and usually have TCS on 2.

I started enjoyed GTS back again with TCS=0, and raced a lot on M4 Race A. With new tire model, I felt the car is behaved as it should be.

Youtube.com/AzrilNazliAlias

Back