Tutorial: The Focus slider.

• Thread starter ImaRobot
  • 13 comments
United States
Los Angeles, CA
Lma_robot
lImaRobotl
Ok, so this is a tutorial on what the Focus slider does. I remember when I first started using the photomode I had no clue what it did, so I always left it wherever it was. That lasted well into the months of me owning the game. Thing is though, with the right Focus setting it will make all the difference in your photos. Alright, on to the tutorial.

First what you want to do is find the angle that you want to shoot at. I usually pick something off far:
7785627846_0d08ba072e_z.jpg

Once you find the angle you want to shoot, zoom into your focus point(thats for you to decide). Depending on the angle I usually try to go for a headlight or taillight. Always make sure your shutter speed is at zero so you can easily tell which focus setting is just right. Also dont forget to set up your aperture, a good starting point is around 30-40.

Once that is set up, exit the settings menu and focus on the object. Like I said, I used the headlight, so I'll press X to focus on the headlight without moving the camera at all:
7785629056_a98226336e_z.jpg

Alright open up the settings menu again and starting from zero, move the focus slider 1 by 1.

The first point on the slider will usually look really blurry like this, or somethign similar to this:
7785628366_d4ac73e2a7_z.jpg

But as you get closer to your perfect setting it will com into focus.

My perfect setting was a 16 on the focus slider. This photo used an aperture of 70, but with the right focus setting it keeps everything you want in focus.

If you click the photo you can full-view it and really notice the aperture setting.

Remember, however far or close you are to the car or your focal object, it will always affect the focus setting you should use. Once you find the right focus setting for your angle, you can bump the shutter speed back up, I usually use 15-30 max.

If you have any questions, let me know :)

So the only thing the focus slider does, is making it sharp or blurry?

Never used the focus slider so going to give this a try :D I'll let you know when I got some pics up!

To put things short, yes. Lol.

Also, you dont always have to do far off angles. Its just the closer you get the smaller the focus setting will be. If to close most of the time its 1-3 but it could be hard to notice the difference.

Ahhh I was getting a little frustrated over this last night just to look at this again and see I was doing it wrong! :banghead:

Also when doing this, when you find the right setting that is the most in focus, do you go back and refocus by hitting x? Would that affect it?

Also when doing this, when you find the right setting that is the most in focus, do you go back and refocus by hitting x? Would that affect it?

I was never exactly sure on that, but I would always just press X anyways afterwards just in case.

Its easier to find the good focus setting if you set your aperture at 100 first. That way its way more noticeable when you start setting the focus. Afterwards just move the aperture down to whatever you feel like.

I was never exactly sure on that, but I would always just press X anyways afterwards just in case.

Its easier to find the good focus setting if you set your aperture at 100 first. That way its way more noticeable when you start setting the focus. Afterwards just move the aperture down to whatever you feel like.

Right on, I was pretty pleased with my Gumpert pics after trying something close to this lol so I'm excited to see what I can do for my next set.

Also, did the focus change from FM4 because on Horizon when I'm out of focus it looks nothing like your third pic.
Looks like someone shook the ever loving hell outta my screen.

Also, did the focus change from FM4 because on Horizon when I'm out of focus it looks nothing like your third pic.
Looks like someone shook the ever loving hell outta my screen.

No, what changes that is how far/close you are, if you have a really high aperture, or if shutter speed is up. It will vary from time to time lol.

No, what changes that is how far/close you are, if you have a really high aperture, or if shutter speed is up. It will vary from time to time lol.

I've been using pretty short shutter speeds in hope to reduce that but like I said I have more toying around to do so I can nail this lol

thats only the half of it. Having the right setting can make your photo that much more clearer
Its just an advance way of focus, for those who feel like using it. You can still just press X, but I prefer to get all the settings down.

Whats good about it, is that if you dont want to lose the exact angle you have and you want to move the focus from the front of the car to the back, you can just move the setting up more and your done.That way you still get your exact angle, but your still able to edit where to focus will lye.

Thanks for the heads-up ImaRobot. I only been playing this game for 3 days on and off. I love it so far. Question is how do you get that Hatch in the game?

Back