TV Picture Settings - Lots of pics - 56k warning

• Thread starter Lion-Face
  • 63 comments
I just crank everything up to the max, because my TV lacks HDR support and even though it’s 4K it always looks a little blurry unless I use maximum sharpness

I just crank everything up to the max,
To be honest by doing that you are making it look worse.
If your tv has cinema or movie setting start with that and give your eyes time to adjust.
Even better is to have a tv properly calibrated.

I just crank everything up to the max, because my TV lacks HDR support and even though it’s 4K it always looks a little blurry unless I use maximum sharpness
The sharpness setting in the TV is the TV CPU figuring out where the edges of objects are and adding a contrast boost to those edges. It isn't any sharper, as in it isn't higher resolution, just to our eyes it appears sharper as we see a higher contrast as a defined edge therefore we are 'tricked' into seeing sharpness.

Each TV has it's own sweet spot for sharpness, too little and objects can be hard to make out or words hard to read. Too much and and you start to get artifacts introduced with edges having too much contrast and ironically losing some of the detail and clarity around objects

I think it's a very low number, but of course, it's all relative...

Today's bandwidth-limited users are now more likely to be on slow or overloaded wireless networks. "56k warnings" are quaint, but in some ways, still useful!
I never considered slow or overloaded wireless networks to be bandwidth-limited coming from 56k days! Not even sure the bandwidth limited users would know what 56k is to heed the warning!

Last edited:
I never considered slow or overloaded wireless networks to be bandwidth-limited coming from 56k days! Not even sure the bandwidth limited users would know what 56k is to heed the warning!
That's a good point. It's all relative; image files and web pages have become a lot larger since the ancient times.

Just checked the first page of this thread, which is 3.7MB. It would take nearly 9 minutes to download that page on a 56k connection. :lol:

Back