TV Plasma latency - how important?

• Thread starter zavisic_
  • 5 comments
Slovenia
Slovenia
Hello, I am using Panasonic Plasma TV tx-p46gw30.
Lately I found out that pc monitor have lower latency which helps. I wonder how much of a difference it makes and if my tv is good enough?
I play gt sport and I am around top 50 driver in the EMEA reggion.

Would be helpful if someone gives me opinions if I should get myself a monitor rather and if that would improve my lap times.

I think it's quite simple really. If you feel there's a lag between your inputs and what you are seeing happen on screen, then it's worth looking into. If you don't feel you are experiencing any issues, then it doesn't appear that your screen is a problem.

Latency is extremely important in sim racing, because you want your inputs to translate instantly (or as instantly as physically possible) to the virtual car. The higher the latency, the more 'disconnected' you will feel from the car. Large amounts of latency will make cars harder to control, more likely to fish-tail, and so on, because you're always a step behind the physics. More responsive force feedback equipment also makes display latency issues more obvious. Big improvements in latency reduction will improve your lap times.

I use to run triple 55" Sony Bravia HD TV's on my PC and had zero issues with lag. As thecracker mentioned, when you move your wheel and the wheel onscreen moves at the same time, you're good. As far as latency goes, I doubt human eyes can detect low levels. I have read on the iRacing forums where some members say you can't use large TV's as monitors, truth is you can.

We have an older 63" plasma 3D TV, I have tried it one time just for a test and it worked fine. Plasma is not ideal for gaming, it uses more electricity then any TV ever made, that's one reason they stopped making them. Another reason is they run so hot.

I use to run triple 55" Sony Bravia HD TV's on my PC and had zero issues with lag. As thecracker mentioned, when you move your wheel and the wheel onscreen moves at the same time, you're good. As far as latency goes, I doubt human eyes can detect low levels. I have read on the iRacing forums where some members say you can't use large TV's as monitors, truth is you can.

We have an older 63" plasma 3D TV, I have tried it one time just for a test and it worked fine. Plasma is not ideal for gaming, it uses more electricity then any TV ever made, that's one reason they stopped making them. Another reason is they run so hot.
I also found out that plasma do have lower latency than lcd's because of the different technology which is a good thing to know. I think I am going to stick with it for a while.

I'm also using a panasonic plasma (P55VT30), it has a gaming mode (that presumably offers lower latency) but it screws with the colours and doesn't look right so I don't use it. Even so, I don't notice any latency at all.

Back