Types of Vehicle Failures

• Thread starter driftking9
  • 51 comments

driftking9

(Banned)
DriftKing9
Hello people , please post the types of failures you can have while racing.

Here is a list of mine

Engine : overheat, block crack,

Transmission: too much downshift breaking ur clutch with flywheel, no throttle pause while changing gears,

Suspension: bottom out, leaking

Tires: flat tire.

Breaks: worn brakes, overheated no braking.

Please supply a list of your own things that can fail in a car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyEM_FIDSTc&feature=related
stocknsx.jpg

How about brake fade? If that was implemented, then it would be logical for GT6 to have ceramic brake upgrades (and such).

Random electrical failures? Like what happened to Jann recently irl.

In NASCAR having to swap to your second MSD box (which are both shown on the dash!)

Love a engine failure option for the enduro and longer races it would make online interesting and maybe upset a lot of people imagine running a long race and seeing some one in front or yourself blowing black smoke come out of the bonnet or behind the car of course this would happen on cars with high mileage or types of races etc.

This would make people have pit stops loose like 10 laps or something if your in an enduro. Just a thought

Here is a list of mine

Transmission: too much downshift breaking ur clutch with flywheel, no throttle pause while changing gears,

stocknsx.jpg

Car Problems, GT Auto should be able to fix those issues instantly.

Would be cool if car aging can be implemented. You can see like your leather seats cracking, plastic dials fading etc. And used cars can actually look used.

Would be cool if car aging can be implemented. You can see like your leather seats cracking, plastic dials fading etc. And used cars can actually look used.

I think leather seats cracking and plastic dials would be too much for a game like GT,

think of things that happen while racing, failures!!!

Bluntified
No fuel! I find it funny you can still make it through a while lap with no fuel. This shouldn't be.

Modern cars have the ability to "stroll" without gas for a few miles. Even older ones from 90s have that. I forgot what its called.

Here is a list of mine

stocknsx.jpg

How about an ignition coil failure in the middle of a 300 lap race on lap 299? Lol.

Or like in some WRC races I've watched, they go off a jump, catch air, land on the wheel wrong, bend it and the car is toast.

No. Just no. PD take far too long modelling cars to insane degrees as it is, that would just make them take even longer.

I would enjoy if GT6 had massive and catastrophic engine failures at a middle of a race, electric problems, collapsed suspension, wheels completly misaligned, broken axels, tyres worn out or punctured, oil spils, brakes exhausted and gt auto would repair that in days ( if they adopt the day system like GT4) and you couldn't use that during those days, i think tha would be very cool

I thought I should point out that vehicle failures are not really allowed in most liscensing agreements from manufactures.

So while I would love something like this I have to temper my hopes with reality. All we can likely hope for are race cars/rally cars with the ability to breakdown.

Last edited:
I'd rather have 800 premium cars and more tracks than stuff like this, though brake fade would be really cool.

I don't really think you guys actually want to have these features. You only want them to happen once, and that's exactly for how long it's "cool," after that you'll just think it's annoying and turn it off.

Besides, we already have "engine failures" in sim racing.

Ever heard of internet connections dropping? There :)

I don't really think you guys actually want to have these features. You only want them to happen once, and that's exactly for how long it's "cool," after that you'll just think it's annoying and turn it off.

Besides, we already have "engine failures" in sim racing.

Ever heard of internet connections dropping? There :)

Please Take 3min and Read

[ ENGINE ] i would like to say something, when i mean engine failures , lets say there's a green and red engine color meter telling how harsh you are on the engine, if you always brake step on it , your'e a harsh driver , and that way your meter goes orange then red ,showing your too harsh, breaking your engine and filling with smoke, im not talking about 5laps ,i mean after like 15 to 20laps of stress on road cars, and for racing cars are suited for harsh conditions so you would really have to push a race car to break it, that's why you have to change oil to stay on top of your game and keep your car in clean and perfectly running condition.,
Honda_engine_cut_away.jpg

[ TRANSMISSION ]lets say you go from 5th gear down to 1st in 2seconds, you will break your gearbox and go into a spin imidieatly,that what happens in life no matter what car company you in( Mercedes Lexus Nissan etc..),
for racing cars that would probably mean you go into a spin and into the
closest wall,am I right or im I wrong?

_jdm_transmission_big.jpg

[BRAKES]If you brake lots of time your brakes get hot pretty quickly, that why there the option of ,regular, drilled, drilled sloted ,curamic,types of brakes each of them is beter, in real life AGAIN no matter what car you got your brakes get hot and quickly fade away.
Brakes.jpg

THAT IS REALITY PEOPLE!
NO MATTER HOW MUCH THE COMPANIES HATE IT!

I think a proper tire wear/damage and brake fade system would be the only things necessary in a sub-par simulator.

:)

But in GT you're able to go 50mph endlessly without fuel.

I like to think of that as the ECU detecting ultra ultra low fuel rather than actual bone-dry emptying. So the nanny says "nice going, :dunce:" and kicks to 50mph fuel-efficient mode for the few miles back to the pit...

I like to think of that as the ECU detecting ultra ultra low fuel rather than actual bone-dry emptying. So the nanny says "nice going, :dunce:" and kicks to 50mph fuel-efficient mode for the few miles back to the pit...

But you can do it forever if you are so inclined.

Everything can break on a race car in a race. Even the driver.

Some failures are just a little more serious than others, that's all.

driftking9
[ TRANSMISSION ]lets say you go from 5th gear down to 1st in 2seconds, you will break your gearbox and go into a spin imidieatly,that what happens in life no matter what car company you in( Mercedes Lexus Nissan etc..),
for racing cars that would probably mean you go into a spin and into the
closest wall,am I right or im I wrong?

Well, if you go from 5th to 1st directly in a traditional H-gate manual without a change in speed, you'll blow your engine since you over reved the engine, unless you're lugging your engine in the first place. Neither will necessarily cause you to spin though.

If you go from 5th to 1st in a modern sequential manual without slowing down, the computer will probably either not let you, or if it's stupid enough to let you downshift anyways, you will blow your engine, like above.

If you go from 5th to 1st while slowing down, as long as the car is slowing at a high enough rate (ie. the revs drop quickly enough), it won't break anything, at least not immediately.

driftking9
[BRAKES]If you brake lots of time your brakes get hot pretty quickly, that why there the option of ,regular, drilled, drilled sloted ,curamic,types of brakes each of them is beter, in real life AGAIN no matter what car you got your brakes get hot and quickly fade away.

Not each of those is necessarily better. There are a lot of considerations to think about that will affect the effectiveness of the various things you've talked about. Even just different materials will have different thermal properties, along with different fatigue life and strength. That will affect whether cross drilling or slotting is viable, as both are stress concentrators.

I have no idea what you're trying to say about engines, so I have no comment about that.

As a friendly reminder, please do take the time to properly capitalize, punctuate and correctly spell your posts. Also, please do use proper grammar too. All that is expected here on GTPlanet and helps make this place that much more legible and understandable for everyone.

I'd like to see proper maintenance involved with the car, you know servicing the oil and engine regularly. Of course the older/rarer/more expensive the car dictates the cost of it's upkeep. If you fail to take care of the car it shows while racing and of course can result in a DNR if you blow the engine. Of course the option to buy a replacement engine ( See the conditions above ) can either be cheap or very costly. I mean I don't think you find a Jaguar XJ220 engine in high supply anywhere but Mazda MX-5 engines for the 2012 Roadster are obviously abundant. On that note the price to replace a replaced engine should be double the first price etc etc until the car is just not operable.

Although it would be fun, I think they won't put it in the game.
As it has been already said some years ago, the manufacturers won't like to see their cars to be seen badly broken or with reliability issues.
It's the same problem they've had with damage on road cars. Most of the crashes only result in dents and scratches, never any structural damage.
Another example of this limitation the manufacturers impose is that in GT5 it's not possible to improve/upgrade the braking system on any car. I think it's because it would show that most road cars don't have brakes "as good as it gets", as it would be reserved for cars with carbon ceramic sets.
I don't know if I made myself clear...

Back