UEFA Champions League And Europa League thread

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 790 comments
Milan return to the Champions League after 7 years and get the group of death. :banghead:

The Liverpool matches won't be close but at least they will have some nostalgia to them.

Champions League group stage starts tonight.

The big game tonight is Barcelona v Bayern Munich, tomorrow its Inter Milan v Real Madrid, Liverpool v AC Milan and Man City v Leipzig

Let the goalscoring history books - of player, stadium, and opponent - show that on this day Cristiano Ronaldo Wankdorf Young Boys.

There were a lot of mistakes from United against Young Boys.

Straight away you can see the difference in how high up the pitch we play with Varane and Maguire instead of Lindelof and Maguire. Wan-Bissaka's red card was deserved, he's normally better than that, but he had a poor touch then took out the player trying to get the ball back. I've seen some people say it was harsh, but I've seen those challenges get red enough times.

I thought taking off Donny was a mistake, he was far more composed than Fred, and I thought going to a back 5 was a mistake.

I'd have swapped Sanco for Dalot, Lindelof for Maguire and Fred for Matic. Gone 4-4-1 and tried to keep hold of the ball rather than sitting back and inviting wave after wave of attack onto us. At the end of the day, plans went out of the window with the red card, but poor from several of the palyers and poor decisions from the manager and coaches in my opinion.

Last edited:
Quite an eventful night with Man City beating Leipzig 6-3 and Liverpool having another comeback win over AC Milan!

The Liverpool game finished 3-2 but it was 1-2 to Milan at half time, Alexander Arnold put Liverpool in front put it went down as a Tomori OG, Salah then had a penalty double saved by Maignan in the Milan goal, Milan then scored two in quick succession from Diaz and Rebic right before half time, Salah and Henderson gave Liverpool the win and they did it the hard way.

As for City, well they were never behind in the game but I think it showed that Leipzig are no pushovers. Nkunku scored a hat-trick for them and they had Tasende sent off, City's goals came from different scorers including Grealish, Ake and Jesus.

Elsewhere Sebastian Haller scored four for Ajax in a 5-1 rout over Sporting Lisbon and Club Brugge had more chances in a 1-1 draw over PSG despite PSG having Messi Neymar and Mbappe up front.

Liverpool started at 100mph for the first 15 mins, and had 13 attempts on goal. 😲 Obviously need to be a bit more clinical with the chances they create. 🙄 Milan's goals came from very little, though in quick succession just before half time. The 2nd half was mostly Liverpool, coming out quick again, and then controlling the game. I always fear Olivier Giroud coming on, but thankfully little involvement in the game. Henderson putting away a quality finish, like he does it every week, which he certainly does not. 😄

It was weird seeing 3rd generation Maldini play for Milan. Two tough acts to follow in Cesare and Paolo. Didn't see to much of Daniel Maldini when he came on, but good luck to the lad, he's certainly got football in his DNA. 😉

Milan were completely outplayed last night. They were lucky they scored at all. Liverpool just had too much pace and quality on the flanks and Henderson was a rock in the middle. Kessie was wishing he had the other team's shirt on the whole time. Theo was owned by Salah and Leao was invisible. They certainly missed Ibra on the sideline.

At least Porto and Atletico drew...

Milan were completely outplayed last night. They were lucky they scored at all. Liverpool just had too much pace and quality on the flanks and Henderson was a rock in the middle. Kessie was wishing he had the other team's shirt on the whole time. Theo was owned by Salah and Leao was invisible. They certainly missed Ibra on the sideline.

At least Porto and Atletico drew...
Liverpool have been linked with Kessie, as supposedly the replacement for Wijnaldum they 'have' to get. 🙄 Can't say I saw much to justify the huge wages he is asking for from Milan, or anyone else. :confused:

Liverpool have been linked with Kessie, as supposedly the replacement for Wijnaldum they 'have' to get. 🙄 Can't say I saw much to justify the huge wages he is asking for from Milan, or anyone else. :confused:
He had a really good 2020-2021, but came back from World Cup qualifiers out of form and with a knock. That was one of his first matches for Milan in a while.

Champions league returns tonight sand tomorrow night with game week two, some of the games include PSG v Man City, AC Milan v Atletico Madrid and Juventus v Chelsea.

Sheriff Tiraspol have beaten Real Madrid 2-1 at the Bernabeu! The winning goal came from Thill in the 89th minute that was a brilliant strike.

Elsewhere PSG beat Man City 2-0 with the second from Messi which was a great strike and Liverpool thumped Porto 5-1.

Sheriff Tiraspol! That was super beautiful. ~24,50 on them winning and I actually got it, not quite ice cold enough to wait until the referee called it a day but cashed out at 93.

Sheriff Tiraspol were only founded in 1997, they entered this years competition at the first qualifying round and now top a group which contains Real Madrid and Inter Milan!

I just watched the highlights of the Real Madrid v Sheriff Tiraspol. 😲 I was meaning to find out where Sheriff were from, as I don't think I had heard of them before, but they mentioned it in the highlights, Moldova apparently, in case you didn't know like me. 😉😄

The Sheriff goals were no flooks. The Real penalty! Mmm. 🤔 The Sheriff keeper saved a shot with his face. 😲 :crazy:

That result certainly adds to Real's huge European football history, though maybe not in a good way. There were a lot of shocked faces of Real players. Ancelotti was having a go at the fourth official at the end, though not seeing the whole game, not sure what his grievances were.

Great result for Liverpool, which puts them in a good position in a hard group. 🙂

I just watched the highlights of the Real Madrid v Sheriff Tiraspol. 😲 I was meaning to find out where Sheriff were from, as I don't think I had heard of them before, but they mentioned it in the highlights, Moldova apparently, in case you didn't know like me. 😉😄

The Sheriff goals were no flooks. The Real penalty! Mmm. 🤔 The Sheriff keeper saved a shot with his face. 😲 :crazy:

That result certainly adds to Real's huge European football history, though maybe not in a good way. There were a lot of shocked faces of Real players. Ancelotti was having a go at the fourth official at the end, though not seeing the whole game, not sure what his grievances were.

Great result for Liverpool, which puts them in a good position in a hard group. 🙂
Even still, Moldova is only technically correct. Tiraspol is the largest city and De facto capital of Transnistria (or Pridnestrovia) a breakaway state in Moldova on the eastern side of the Dniester river. It's a state which still considers itself closer to Soviet times and still has the hammer and sickle on its flag.
1632903129692.png

1632903153423.png

Man United 2-1 Villareal.

Ronaldo with a 95th minute winner!!!!!! We didn't play well at all in the first half or the start of the second, Villareal were playing superb and had so many chances, De Gea made some great saves, Alcacer put Villareal in front on 53 minutes but a great Fernandes free kick to Alex Telles to get his first United goal on 60 mins and it was mostly United from then on and then Ronaldo with a winner almost at the death!

Elsewhere, Chelsea lost to Juventus 1-0 with Chiesa scoring 11 seconds into the second half, Barcelona lost 3-0 to Benfica and Bayern battered Dynamo Kiev 5-0.

Great nights action tonight, Liverpool beat Atletico 3-2 and it was 2-2 in a rather breathless first half, Salah and Keita put Liverpool 2-0 up but Atleti came back almost immediately with two goals from Griezmann who then got himself sent off in the second half for a high boot to Firmino's head. Salah then put Liverpool back in front with a penalty and Atleti had a penalty turned down themselves after a VAR check.

Elsewhere, Real Madrid beat Shakthar 5-0, Man City beat Brugge 5-1, Ajax beat Dortmund 4-0 (!!) and PSG beat Leipzig 3-2 with Messi scoring twice.

With United 2-0 down at home to Atalanta, United fans got "#BruceIn" trending on Twitter :lol: 2-1 now.

Edit: 2-2. Guess the threat got the players' attention :D

Also Jorginho has scored two penalties against two different goalkeepers tonight, and apparently that's only happened once before in the entire history of the Champions League (not sure about the European Cup pre-Champions League)...

... exactly 22 years ago on October 20 1999. Vladimír Labant for Sparta Prague against Willem II.

Last edited:
Man United 3-2 Atalanta, United were 2-0 down at half time! Rashford, Maguire and Ronaldo with the goals, amazing second half!

Back