UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

• Thread starter Famine
  • 160 comments
HUGE shock in San Marino right now, as the worst team in the world take the lead!

San Marino 0-1 Scotland
If Scotland cannot beat San Marino, they might as well just play the remainder of the fixtures blindfolded and hope for the best.

The BBC Radio Scotland commentary team are sitting right behind the Scotland supporters in the San Marino ground.

So far they have had to publicly apologise for the 'colourful' language roughly every 5 minutes :lol:

edit: It's not every day your country wins 2-0 and still gets booed off the pitch... a tad harsh, but it has to be said that the team simply are not anywhere near good enough.

Last edited:
Northern Ireland beat Belarus 2-1, Germany beat Netherlands 2-3 in a cracking game, Belgium beat Cyprus 0-2 and Croatia surprisingly lost out to Hungary 2-1.

Montenegro 1-5 England. Montenegro actually took the lead here through a fine strike by Vesovic as England temporarily forgot how to defend. after that it was it was complete dominance from England with two goals from Barkley and other goals from Keane Kane and Sterling. Hudson-Odoi got an assist on his first England start.

Other results tonight include France 4-0 Iceland and Portugal 1-1 Serbia during which Ronaldo was forced off injured.

Unfortunately racist chanting marred the England game. Raheem Sterling, Callum Hudson Odoi and Danny Rose were all subject to monkey chants from sections of the home crowd, Sterling responded with a goal and an assist and for his celebration for his goal he stood in front of the abusers and pulled his ears out. Southgate said he heard it and that the FA will report it.

Who saw Turkey beating France coming? I first heard of this score when someone made a Twitch donation comment about Turkey beating France. All I can say is... wow! I didn't see the game or anything. Any given game, folks...

Well played to Turkey they sticked with their guns and won.

Disappointed by France, World class team and they give a performance like that I expected something better.

Scotland almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night, conceding a late goal to Cyprus and silencing (most of) the pub where I watched the game. Fortunately Scotland scored in the last minute to restore their lead, but it was a typically lacklustre display and, contrary to what the new Scotland manager said after the game, this result does not 'bode well for the future'...

I say 'most of' because my English pal thought it a good idea to cheer where Cyprus scored. Even by his standards, it was pretty churlish - and a few of the locals were seriously unimpressed. He is right, however, that there are plenty more Scottish people who celebrate much more loudly whenever anyone scores against England, so I suppose it is only fair that he dishes out the same treatment, but I'd still prefer it if he didn't do it in my company...

Wales fumbled their way to two away defeats and my conviction in thinking Ryan Giggs is the wrong man for the job has grown even stronger.

Wales come to Slovakia on the 10th October... :indiff:

Tonight results

Armenia 1-3 Italy
Faroe Islands 0-4 Sweden
Gibraltar 0-6 Denmark
Norway 2-0 Malta
Romania 1-2 Spain
Bosnia 5-0 Liechtenstein
Finland 1-0 Greece
Israel 1-1 North Macedonia
Ireland 1-1 Switzerland

Comfortable win for Italy in the earlier game with Belotti scoring twice, Spain had Diego Llorente sent off late on, big wins for Sweden, Denmark and Bosnia, Late equaliser for Ireland keeps them top of the group.

Todays Results

Estonia 1-2 Belarus
Cyprus 1-1 Kazakhstan
Austria 6-0 Latvia
San Marino 0-4 Belgium
Slovakia 0-4 Croatia
Wales 2-1 Azerbaijan
Germany 2-4 Netherlands
Scotland 1-2 Russia
Slovenia 2-0 Poland

Brilliant game between Germany and Netherlands which Germany actually took the lead in, pretty poor performance from Wales but still got the win in the end from a Bale header that was just over the line in the 85th minute, Wales weren't clinical in attack and Azerbaijan goal came from a defensive mistake, big wins for Austria, Belgium and Croatia, Scotland took the ead in their game but the Russia winner came from a Scotland own goal.

Dreadful game. Utterly clueless. We'll get destroyed playing like that next month.

Bye bye Giggs. Go directly to Salford, do not pass Go and do not collect £200.

We're thundering backwards with a team that actually has bags of potential.

I was in the pub last night and they were showing the rugby (Scotland v Georgia), and everyone was happy and cheering as Scotland powered to a comfortable win.

But when the game finished, they immediately switched over to the Scotland v Russia football match only to see Scotland score an own goal and subsequently lose to Russia, all but killing any slim chance we still had of qualifying for a tournament that is to partly staged in our own country.

latest

I was in the pub last night and they were showing the rugby (Scotland v Georgia), and everyone was happy and cheering as Scotland powered to a comfortable win.

But when the game finished, they immediately switched over to the Scotland v Russia football match only to see Scotland score an own goal and subsequently lose to Russia, all but killing any slim chance we still had of qualifying for a tournament that is to partly staged in our own country.

latest
You're guaranteed a playoff spot thanks to the Nations League. That's about the only silver lining

Yesterdays/todays results

Kosovo 2-1 Czech Republic
England 4-0 Bulgaria
Iceland 3-0 Moldova
Lithuania 0-3 Ukraine
France 4-1 Albania
Turkey 1-0 Andorra
Serbia 2-4 Portugal

Harry Kane hat-trick in a comfortable win for England.

Scotland have one or two great individual talents like Robertson and Forrest. Now I'm hardly speaking from an ivory tower with Wales squandering the best crop of youngsters in 60 years but it's so unusual for Scotland to be this bad.

Oh dear, the poor woman who is giving away the free tickets for tonight's game appears to be struggling to find any takers (other than me and my (Spanish) mate), as she just sent another email about them now :lol: :(

Greece came a draw with Lichenstein I bloody dont know how to spell that while Turkey won Andorra 1-0 lmaooo

Do we really need countries like San Marino, Andorra, Luxemburg and Lichenstein.

Greece came a draw with Lichenstein I bloody dont know how to spell that while Turkey won Andorra 1-0 lmaooo

Do we really need countries like San Marino, Andorra, Luxemburg and Lichenstein.
They're countries (well, territories)... so... yes?

Five years ago Kosovo didn't even exist as a football team. Last year it was ranked 178th in the world, below. Currently, Kosovo is 120th, 30 places below Luxembourg. At the weekend, Kosovo beat the Czech Republic 2-1.

Although it probably won't last, Luxembourg is third in its group, ahead of Serbia - the effective successor of Yugoslavia - after four games each (and Luxembourg has played group-topping Ukraine twice, losing 3-1 on aggregate; Serbia has played Ukraine once and lost 5-0). Kosovo is second behind England.

Also, it's a rightful embarrassment if you're a big team like Italy, Ukraine, England or Greece if you were to drop points against them. A draw or even a loss to a tiny nation like Liechtenstein is the ultimate failure almost.

Back