UEFA Euro 2021 But Yet Somehow Still Euro 2020 Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 651 comments
England 2-1 Denmark.

England got in to their groove pretty quickly and had a great first 10 mins but Denmark turned the tide and looked dangerous on the break, Damsgaard scored a brilliant free kick for the Danes, Saka put a great ball in and Kjaer unfortunately turned it into his own goal for 1-1, Very even first half but then England dominated the second half with most possession and shots but could break an organised Denmark down. Extra time and England dominated and pressed still, it was soft penalty as Sterling went down too easy, Schmeichel saved but Kane scored the rebound, 2-1 it finished.

England deserved the win as they were the better team. Italy v England for the final it is.

England for the first 10 minutes, the Danes for the rest of the first half, and deserved leaders, England gradually gained the upper hand in the second half.

Soft penalty to say the least but a deserved winner.

Italy will absolutely annihilate England in the final.

Oh dear, seeing the penalty incident in more detail, it is 100% not a penalty.

Also, I've just seen the footage of Schmeichel being hit by a laser pen during the penalty too - some people are just 💩.

Scotland fans booed the Croatian national anthem, only to watch Croatia smash Scotland on the field. England fans are generally good but far too many are arseholes... booing every national anthem is unacceptable, and many still booed their own team for showing their support for the anti-racism message (only then to shut the 🤬 up when a black player wins the game for them).

There was at least two incidences of laser attacks on Denmark tonight, and that is utterly unacceptable... not least at this level. Whoever was responsible needs to be identified and punished severely.

Congrats to England fans to making it to the final for the first time in ages! Every time there's talk of England going far and usually it ends up in tears. This time, maybe tears of joy? We'll see. Italy is looking like the stronger side, but anything can happen in one game.

mc8hV1o.png

England were the better team for most of the game and deserved the win. The penalty? Soft describes every aspect of it, but England did deserve a goal for being the only team properly attacking all game. Bring on the Italians. It's gonna be an interesting final.
Yeah, unfortunately Denmark looked tired for most of the second half. What a goalkeeper they had though, easily the best player of the game!

Oh dear, seeing the penalty incident in more detail, it is 100% not a penalty.
I'm the other way round now.

Sadly, given that Sterling has absolutely played for it, and hurled himself to the floor like a toddler who has been told he can't have a bag of Maltesers from the confectionary aisle, there is the slightest of slight contacts with his trailing leg. He has absolutely conned everyone into it, he was almost certainly already on his way down, and it's a filthy way to win a game (and the product of years of referring to players as "winning" penalties; you can't "win" a punishment), but the referee has to give it.

1625739086638.png

Still, even if they are going to cheat their way to the final, they're playing Italy... and Italy are both better at it and more blatant. Check out Ciro Immobile's remarkable recovery in the quarter-final...

Last edited:
Oh, it was the right leg that gave the penalty? I thought it was the guy who flattened Sterling from his left without ever going for the ball that gave the penalty away. That didn't look as soft as the first contact.

I'm the other way round now.

Sadly, given that Sterling has absolutely played for it, and hurled himself to the floor like a toddler who has been told he can't have a bag of Maltesers from the confectionary aisle, there is the slightest of slight contacts with his trailing leg. He has absolutely conned everyone into it, he was almost certainly already on his way down, and it's a filthy way to win a game (and the product of years of referring to players as "winning" penalties; you can't "win" a punishment), but the referee has to give it.

Still, even if they are going to cheat their way to the final, they're playing Italy... and Italy are both better at it and more blatant. Check out Ciro Immobile's remarkable recovery in the quarter-final...
It's been a part of the game for a while unfortunately.

There was clear contact so it’s a pen.

Soft, maybe, but not as soft as the foul Denmark got that lead to their goal.

I’d be more critical of Kane collapsing every time anyone came near him. He’ll be strong competition for the Italians in the diving final.

Lazer pen and booing the national anthem is the usual **** from England fans... that sort of behaviour makes them a hard team to follow.

No penalty IMO. :)
Doesn't matter much in my book though, as England was the better team and I think they would have scored eventually anyway. The two best teams in the tournament are in the final.

No complaints about England's match performance. They're playing well and have a good team which is set up well and has probably the strongest bench at this tournament.

But other things around this, UEFA, fan access and fan behaviour, makes this a tournament to forget.

I've enjoyed the tournament in spite of Scotland's disappointing displays.

The two 3-3 QFs will probably go down as the single greatest pair of games in international footballing history, sensational entertainment.

The two best teams in the tournament are in the final.
In knockout games, Italy failed to defeat Spain. It also failed to defeat Switzerland, which itself failed to defeat France.
Italy has been one of the best team indeed, but Spain showed it was on par, at the very least.

Italy play in a very exacting manner. They could win games 3-0 and be out of sight as they did against Turkey and Switzerland. Their game plan, however, is to play brilliantly until they lead 1-0 then play with negative, grinding gamesmanship. It is a big gamble which has paid off well until now... ...and in the 28 games or so preceding this tournament. But as we saw in the Spain game, 🤬ing around when you're only 1-0 up can bite you in the arse if you're not careful.

Last edited:
England have been hit with three charges from UEFA. The laser pen/pointer into Schmeichel's eyes during the penalty, the booing of the Danish anthem and other crowd disturbances.

26.6 million watched the game last night at its peak making it the most watched TV event in the last decade in the UK, it averaged around 23 million but 26.6 million watched the final 10 minutes.

The main problem with England's penalty, is not the penalty in itself, is how inconsistent the refereeing is. I wonder how many similar plays were not given a penalty in this tournament alone, how many teams might not have gone past the group stage or whatever, due to a penalty like this not being given. If there was any sort of consistency, then there would be no problem.

This tournament also has the problem of certain teams, playing almost all their games at home. This is just silly, if they wanted to make a tournament across all Europe, atleast make all teams in the group stage play in neutral stadiums.

Consider how they won against Denmark I will not be surprised they will win against Italy. It will be like the World Cup from 2002 in Korea.

Back