Ughh, Sort it Out GT

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Rant Alert

Firstly, I recently upgraded to VR, it's literally out of this World. I cannot express how much it changes the dynamic and if you're luckily enough to get one, do it! The only down side, is that it isn't compatible with ACC, because GT is properly annoying (though visually stunning!)

I duno how the race rating works online, but I've recently got an S for my SR, which I am assuming assures anyone racing against me that I'm "Safe", at least that's what I hope :) I pride myself of trying to race properly, as properly as I can given my ability anyway; giving room where I can without just giving up positions, backing off instead of bumping when following but equally happy to get an elbow out if I need to where it's fair.

I recently moved from D driving rating up to C, which is my proudest moment playing GT; again, I duno how it all works but Im assuming my host of top 5 finishes and few wins got me up there! Bravo me. Stepping into cat. C races, I conceded early that people would be a lot better but to get better, race with the best, so i was looking forward to it. Daytona Gr.4 is this weeks daily race and having smashed round it many times. it was proving a happy hunting ground which got me up to cat. C.

6 races into my cat. C racing career, hot, bothered, sweaty and down-right ****ed off - Im back down to cat. D. disappointing. cat. C is ridiculous, there are outstandingly fast drivers and again, I concede I need to get better to hold my own, but also the level of ****housery from "drivers" that seem to enjoy pushing you off and spinning you round in a more professional manner, needs to get looked at - its just not fun. 4 out of the 6 races I was spun round at exactly the same corner onto the grass, and left at the back to catch up having had a couple of decent laps with the front runners - infuriating. Even when I was able to catch back up, to the back-markers (of which i appreciate i was one), every time I simply got spun around again, presumably by hotheaded annoyed other drivers. It's utterly infuriating.

Getting bumped back down to cat. D and racing vs various cat. C/Ds again (again, i dont know how it works tbh), we go back to pure wallies not braking into corners and spearing you off the track. I saw 1 chap take the guy off in front of me, from which they appeared to be having a half decent battle for half a lap, having simply gone straight on at the the first hairpin. I having nipped up the inside, was utterly incensed when he then proceeded to spear me off at the second hairpin straight after it. Ughh.

I get it, I get it. My ability counts for a lot of not being bold enough, good enough, big enough or stupid enough to simply get the elbows out and push people off all over the place. BUT this is where GT fails imo. ACCs online on PS5 is not good, servers have poor quantity of people but having done 10 races, only in 3 of them did I witness ridiculously childish driving pushing people off, and tapping people into spins. I just wish ACC had VR!! I also get "its just a game" but I wana have fun, get better and enjoy a Sim experience. I've been knocked off, spun out "fairly" having unbelievable fun but when it's every race, its.....BoRiNg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really sure what PD can do about the users. To me the S/R rating does seem to work and when I am in A or B level (never made S!) I typically get cleaner races. And when I get into B level D/R (rarely, spend most of my time in C), it is cleaner again, probably because most of the drivers are simply better and don't brake too late.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is focus on 3 things...

1) - qualify! Sounds obvious but put the time in. If you start up front, you have less idiots to deal with!
2) - pick tracks that are not demolition derby. I have found Daytona to be a disaster for my level this week, the carnage at several corners is incredible. Whereas Spa, Le Mans, Watkins and even GV all seem to give me cleaner races. Annoyingly I have got caught up in a couple and then quit, which destroys your S/R. I need to learn to grind on and finish 10th.
3) - get good enough to stay in D/R C and look after that. Don't race if it is going to be chaos and find yourself back in D.

Last edited:
Not really sure what PD can do about the users. To me the S/R rating does seem to work and when I am in A or B level (never made S!) I typically get cleaner races. And when I get into B level D/R (rarely, spend most of my time in C), it is cleaner again, probably because most of the drivers are simply better and don't brake too late.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is focus on 3 things...

1) - qualify! Sounds obvious but put the time in. If you start up front, you have less idiots to deal with!
2) - pick tracks that are not demolition derby. I have found Daytona to be a disaster for my level this week, the carnage at several corners is incredible. Whereas Spa, Le Mans, Watkins and even GV all seem to give me cleaner races. Annoyingly I have got caught up in a couple and then quit, which destroys your S/R. I need to learn to grind on and finish 10th.
3) - get good enough to stay in D/R C and look after that. Don't race if it is going to be chaos and find yourself back in D.
I agree about the tracks. Some tracks have certain corners that are just a disaster unless you manage to get ahead and break free from the pack.

Other tracks are so compact that the cars never really spread out so every corner you are trying to pass someone or being passed. There’s nothing wrong with that, per se, but each of those interactions is an opportunity for disaster to happen.

I am also flirting between D and C. I race all tracks but, generally, I tend to do better on bigger tracks where I can either get some clean air or pair up with 1 or two good cars and get a good tow and just bang out some good lap times for a few laps.

I'm also a VR user new to sports mode, and yeah, I can't stress enough how helpful it is to optimize your qualifying time. Starting in the top 5 consistently is incredibly helpful. I've moved up into the top 3rd of C this week doing a decent amount of races on Race B. SR S. It's a really short track, very easy to sit down and grind a good qualifying time. Since it's so short, I found it easier than normal to load in a top driver ghost and see where I'm losing time and learn to push my machine more.

After a few grinding sessions before my first race and then between races I've managed to get in the 44.7s range which is landing me in the top positions every race. If I have a clean T1 lap 1, my race is almost always clean.

Make sure you're comfortable with the visibility of your car in VR - I couldn't handle the F1 GTR at Nurburgring the other week because of the seating position and mirror positions, which led to me screwing up.

PD probably can't do much about dirty racing, just due to the nature of this game. No risk of totaling your car = no risk of ending your race driving like a maniac. It definitely can be frustrating dealing with crappy drivers, but usually they're not good enough to qualify in the top positions. So yeah, I've been focusing on that. My races have been much more enjoyable once I've been focusing on improving my qualifying position.

Last edited:
I'm also a VR user new to sports mode, and yeah, I can't stress enough how helpful it is to optimize your qualifying time. Starting in the top 5 consistently is incredibly helpful. I've moved up into the top 3rd of C this week doing a decent amount of races on Race B. SR S. It's a really short track, very easy to sit down and grind a good qualifying time. Since it's so short, I found it easier than normal to load in a top driver ghost and see where I'm losing time and learn to push my machine more.

After a few grinding sessions before my first race and then between races I've managed to get in the 44.7s range which is landing me in the top positions every race. If I have a clean T1 lap 1, my race is almost always clean.

Make sure you're comfortable with the visibility of your car in VR - I couldn't handle the F1 GTR at Nurburgring the other week because of the seating position and mirror positions, which led to me screwing up.

PD probably can't do much about dirty racing, just due to the nature of this game. No risk of totaling your car = no risk of ending your race driving like a maniac. It definitely can be frustrating dealing with crappy drivers, but usually they're not good enough to qualify in the top positions. So yeah, I've been focusing on that. My races have been much more enjoyable once I've been focusing on improving my qualifying position.
Thanks man! I have to admit since writing this early this morning, I've had three belter races; basically exactly as you said. Just bang in a good qualy, start in the top 4 and cross everything that no one T-bones coming into the first/ second corner. Get 2/3 good laps clear then work on chasing down anyone in front. Top fun. Faith restored. when i stepped up to cat. C races I was just too slow, so we'll see if I ever get back up there.

This is going to sound dumb, but where do you see your "score"? As it...how can i see how far I am off C.

Also, I duno how long you've had the VR but it's amazing. if I am ever out of position, I just bash the button underneath that takes you back to the Real World, set the wording that pops up in the centre of my wheel and it seems to re-set itself. I had exactly the same issue when you get up the banking at Daytona, I cannot see a bloomin' thing in my Aston except roll-cage, and the road directly infront of the bonnet - I literally have to duck down - which is hilarious as much as hurts my neck haha!!

Just to add, the TT at La Mans in the Toyota blew my mind. I just stopped on the start finish line and looked around the car for a solid 5mins. haha! i've only had it day so brand new to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man! I have to admit since writing this early this morning, I've had three belter races; basically exactly as you said. Just bang in a good qualy, start in the top 4 and cross everything that no one T-bones coming into the first/ second corner. Get 2/3 good laps clear then work on chasing down anyone in front. Top fun. Faith restored. when i stepped up to cat. C races I was just too slow, so we'll see if I ever get back up there.

This is going to sound dumb, but where do you see your "score"? As it...how can i see how far I am off C.

Also, I duno how long you've had the VR but it's amazing. if I am ever out of position, I just bash the button underneath that takes you back to the Real World, set the wording that pops up in the centre of my wheel and it seems to re-set itself. I had exactly the same issue when you get up the banking at Daytona, I cannot see a bloomin' thing in my Aston except roll-cage, and the road directly infront of the bonnet - I literally have to duck down - which is hilarious as much as hurts my neck haha!!

Just to add, the TT at La Mans in the Toyota blew my mind. I just stopped on the start finish line and looked around the car for a solid 5mins. haha! i've only had it day so brand new to it.
Nice, glad to hear you're getting better races 👍

And yeah, VR is a gamechanger for sure. I didn't race hardly at all online outside of 1v1 with TV because it was really hard for me to gauge distance from cars in the flat cockpit view. VR made me much more comfortable in a racing situation with traffic. The immersion really is insane. I've had it since day 1, I placed a pre-order within a minute of it being announced to support VR, even before they confirmed it was the full game, because I figured PD wasn't dumb enough to announce it and rehash the limited VR capabilities in PSVR1 on GTS.

If you want a fun experience in VR try out the Alsace test course in the shifter kart, the drop there is insane, strongly recommend it lol

You can also recenter the view by holding the pause button, but unfortunately both approaches will pause the game throwing you into autodrive temporarily online.

For seeing your score, the only ways currently are by taking a screenshot of your in game profile and running it through a program that scans the image and based on the progress bar, determines your score. I haven't used either, but looks like there's two options

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/official-grantracker-thread.420003 - program just released by one of the users here on this forum, looks quite cool.

There's also kudosprime I've heard of, never used it either but think it takes the same scanning an image approach

Last edited:
For the DR score, I use a magnifier to count the pixels 😅 it's easy when you are near the start or the end of you category bar.

About penality system, for me it's worse a strict penalty system than no system at all. It seems it's not possible through a program to determine who caused the incident and many times innocent drivers get punished, it happened in GTS. I think what we have now is ok, and just let the community be the judge. Reputation maybe doesn't matter much for some people when they are C, but if they progress, from B and on it starts to matter.

A yellow flag was waved and then you overtook the Lamborghini, so you got a penalty.
And where did I overtake the lambo? We exited at the same speed, my angle put me ahead briefly but I never overtook. Considering the nature of PD flags and that I never tried to take a position I feel it's a bit poor.

Again where did I overtake the lambo I slowed and gave them the inside?

my angle put me ahead briefly but I never overtook.

You pulled ahead of them briefly. The game recognized the position change, since position is based on the nose of the car. You also definitely overtook the ghosted neon yellow car.

And where did I overtake the lambo?
At about the 27s mark:

1686443428220.png

As you briefly moved ahead of the Lamborghini during a sector covered by a yellow flag, you got a penalty for overtaking under a yellow flag.

And where did I overtake the lambo? We exited at the same speed, my angle put me ahead briefly but I never overtook. Considering the nature of PD flags and that I never tried to take a position I feel it's a bit poor.

I've highlighted the relevant bit in bold. You were ahead in the standings and that's all that matters.

I've highlighted the relevant bit in bold. You were ahead in the standings and that's all that matters.
I think my main issue with it is two fold, I didn't overtake the car, gave the position back (hit the wall with no penalty...)

And that the yellow was so brief, the car with issues had ghosted and getting the yellow near as damn it in fastest braking zone left me with no options other than going as wide as I did.

:(

gave the position back
I think that's your answer.

In a real life race, say a F1 race, if you nose ahead briefly under yellows and then immediately give the place back, the stewards might not give you a penalty. They would look at the context and try to figure out if you gained an advantage.

But a computer game like GT7 sees that you moved ahead of another car and that's enough to trigger a penalty. It doesn't have enough AI to look at the context and factor in mitigating circumstances.

Is this something that PD could fix? Maybe, but it's not a quick fix. They would have to build in a level of artificial intelligence for the penalty system to judge racing incidents. Not straightforward.

For me it's one of those things where I'd shrug and let it go.

Back