Ugly But Appealing Vehicles

• Thread starter Vince
  • 1,202 comments
Antarctica
Xanadu
I saw a post by Hagerty Classic Cars on Facebook, asking
"What's the lamest car you love? What makes it so appealing to you?"

So, this thread is a release of your secrets to some of the lamest or ugliest cars. Note these are opinions.

Here are a few of mine.

2lsd2wx.jpg

90's Crown Victoria. I love the basic and the rectangle shapes it has.

280me6a.jpg

My mom owned one, except it was that old-lady gold color.

Last edited:
96-97_Ford_Taurus_sedan.jpg

For whatever reason, I quite like the '96-'00 Ford Taurus. The oval body is just so different, and all those gentle curves and ovals just give it such a relaxing charm to it. I think it's a neat looking car, and the interior looks so nice and spacious. It just seems like a car that would be so nice to just quietly waft along in, but yet you can thrash it whenever, because it's too slow to actually break the law, and it's so old and cheap that it doesn't matter if you dent it up.

I'll be posting in this thread much more in the future. :P

For whatever reason, I quite like the '96-'00 Ford Taurus.

I was, instead, going to use the Taurus instead of the Corolla, then I changed it.

And, the more the merrier. I like peoples dirty little secrets.

I was, instead, going to use the Taurus instead of the Corolla, then I changed it.

And, the more the merrier. I like peoples dirty little secrets.

Dirty little secrets.

If%20you%20know%20what%20I%20mean..png

I agree with you on the Crown Victoria, but the Corolla? Really? :crazy:
I mean, they're not bad cars, they're just so boring...and small but not in a good way. That said, my aunt had a '98 Corolla and somehow managed to fit 3 car seats in the back of it. If I ever had to ride in it, I always had the displeasure of being stuck in the middle of two car seats, in the already tiny interior. Perhaps that's what turned me off of Corollas. 💡

Dirty little secrets.

I agree with you on the Crown Victoria, but the Corolla? Really? :crazy:
I mean, they're not bad cars, they're just so boring...and small but not in a good way. That said, my aunt had a '98 Corolla and somehow managed to fit 3 car seats in the back of it. If I ever had to ride in it, I always had the displeasure of being stuck in the middle of two car seats, in the already tiny interior. Perhaps that's what turned me off of Corollas. 💡

At least you were able to seat in the middle seat. There was an awkward brown stain in the middle back seat of my mothers. I pray to this day it was just chocolate or something.

Anyway, I figured it would be a good time to post another one of mine

33clnnn.jpg

For some reason, I always used to drive this in Gran Turismo 4. I don't have a reason why I like it, normally I hate Volvo's with a passion :boggled:. Especially them head rests...

Last edited:
There's too many to list for me, mainly from the Japanese manufactures. So many ugly cars that I love! :D Very tired (almost 2AM here) and my mind can't bring up the list. But I will mention the Infiniti J30, also known as the Nissan Leopard. Last generation was odd and bubbly, but it oddly attracts me to it. (RWD!)

Infiniti-J30.jpg

There's too many to list for me, mainly from the Japanese manufactures. So many ugly cars that I love! :D Very tired (almost 2AM here) and my mind can't bring up the list. But I will mention the Infiniti J30, also known as the Nissan Leopard. Last generation was odd and bubbly, but it oddly attracts me to it. (RWD!)

I notice how all of these cars so far are from the 1990's. Now that I mention that, I declare 1990's vehicles was the ugliest decade of cars.
Feel free to post some tomorrow. It will be a nice wake up present.:lol:

Last edited:
c430322a.jpg

The fifth generation Honda Accord is another vehicle that I've always liked, mainly for a nostalgic factor. My mom had a silver '97 sedan, much like this one, that she purchased some time in 1999 or 2000 to replace her Nissan Pathfinder, because my dad thought the Pathfinder was too expensive, which even though my mom disagreed with (and she's the one who's careful with money), she complied with for whatever reason. For another odd reason, even though the Accord was newer and nicer than the beige '95 Camry my dad had at the time, it was the car that had to sit in the driveway (my dad had workout equipment taking up the other part of the garage at the time). My mom worked a long 8 to 5 shift 5 days a week and often went to work after hours on the weekends as well, so it wasn't often that I rode in the Accord. I did like it better than dad's Camry; I thought it was better looking, and since I was only 4 at the time, that was the sole reason. The Accord was traded in in 2003 for a new Toyota Highlander (base model, with steelies) for multiple reasons. First, the air conditioning seemed to have given up on life and didn't like to work anymore, and secondly, my dad had gotten himself a Lexus GS300, and my mom felt that she needed a new car, too. Ironically, just like she had gotten screwed over for having to buy the Accord, she got screwed over when getting rid of the Accord. To begin with, she didn't want a Highlander, she wanted a Pilot, or a Sequoia. And secondly, the dealer discovered that the Accord had been in an accident, and gave us peanuts for it. The Highlander that replaced it ended up being an awful thing in my eyes for the sole reason of being dull and smelly, and every time I see an old silver Accord, I get a little nostalgic.

Very hard to find a car-loving crowd that doesn't have at least a dozen Crown Vic or Volvo 240 lovers.

Very hard to find a car-loving crowd that doesn't have at least a dozen Crown Vic or Volvo 240 lovers.

Well, consider this one. 1978 Ford Station Wagon. That wood :drool:

zirfb8.jpg

The fifth generation Honda Accord is another vehicle that I've always liked, mainly for a nostalgic factor.

Same thing with the Corolla. It's just the miles we sunk into that thing that made it special. If I remember, the car was named "Poly."

I notice how all of these cars so far are from the 1990's. Now that I mention that, I declare 1900's vehicles was the ugliest decade of cars.
Feel free to post some tomorrow. It will be a nice wake up present.:lol:

Well, I wouldn't say the 1990s. The 80s would be there too, although the boxiness of the 80s is growing on me as well. Also the 70s was quite an offender with several cars. Although this is all to people opinions.

Nissan Cedric woody wagon anyone? I like. :dopey:
nissan-cedric-wagon-04.jpg

Edit: What a coincidence, posting up a woodie wagon right after Pinkintron without seeing his post. :lol:

Well, I wouldn't say the 1990s. The 80s would be there too, although the boxiness of the 80s is growing on me as well. Also the 70s was quite an offender with several cars. Although this is all to people opinions.

Edit: What a coincidence, posting up a woodie wagon right after Pinkintron without seeing his post. :lol:

I was just about to comment on that too, lol. Again, those wood panels really split people apart. Either you like them, or you despise them with a ball of fiery passion. :mad:

Edit: My next post is my #200. Better make this one special.

Don't forget about Kei cars! Will always love Kei cars. No matter how they look. :lol:
06.jpg

800cimg2416.jpg

Funky WiLL Cypha
toyota-will-02.jpg

Love the Mark II Blit.
toyota_mark_ii_blit_2_5ir_s_four_large_21677.jpg

1995-96_Toyota_Camry.jpg

Nostalgia strikes again, with another of my parents' cars. Before I existed, my dad had a red Jeep Cherokee, with a stick shift, which he had purchased used at a police auction (classy). My dad was a divorced parent, and my (half) sister lived primarily with her mom on the opposite side of town. To add to that, my dad owned a gym at the time, and he visited it five days a week (for a few years, he brought me here as well). This meant that he had a great deal of driving to do each day, and since it was the 90s, Phoenix didn't exactly have a highway system that went where he needed to go, so he had to endure a stick shift in city traffic several hours a day. Eventually he got fed up with that and traded the red Jeep in and leased a beige 1995 Toyota Camry DX, the base model. The only option on it was an automatic transmission, for obvious reasons. Some of my earliest memories were in this beige sedan, and I was actually fond of the car (I still am). Like I mentioned earlier, my dad visited his gym regularly, but he also rode his bike often and took me with him. I rode in the car often, quietly sitting in the car seat in the center of the back seat, often listening to my dad's Tina Turner albums. In fact, whenever I see a 90s Camry, Tina Turner starts playing in my head. :dopey:
In 2002, my dad purchased a dental office, and had more money than he did in 1995. He went to Lexus and leased a black GS300, and kept the Camry. The Camry was used as an occasionally-driven extra vehicle for a couple years, sitting in front of the house, where, one time, somebody stole one of its mirrors. Some time after, my sister reached driving age, and the Camry was given to her. This marked the beginning of the end for the beige Camry, which by now, wasn't looking so nice. To begin with, my mom decided that it was acceptable to put chrome wheel covers on it which looked ghastly, and one of its mirrors was missing. And a couple years before that, my dad ripped the roof-mounted antennae off when backing out of the garage too fast. The Camry began to spiral down hill, with its fair share of scratches, dents, and the inevitable yellowing headlights. The Camry eventually suffered an engine failure for reasons I don't know in 2008, and was purchased for $50 for scrap metal. The beige Camry was replaced by a silver 2000 Camry, which died soon after due to sludge, and was replaced by another beige Camry, a 2002. For nostalgic reasons alone, the '95 Camry is one of the few Camries I like, and like the '97 Accord, every time I see one, I get a little nostalgic. :P

200th post :D

I love hatchbacks.

(No, not huntchbacks...)
29clag7.jpg

I guess it doesn't appeal to everyone but for me, the AMC Pacer has the runner up.

2m2fg5x.jpg

After looking at a few lists and threads throughout the internet, I wasn't surprised to find it on the lists for "The ugliest cars in the world" or "The Top 10 Ugliest Cars." I mean, they are even one of the main antagonists for the movie Cars 2 (along side the Gremlin).

No one in my house can understand my obsession with these. I've never worked with one, or known anyone who's had one, so I don't know how they run.

All I know is that they are lil' pudgy front face cars that I adore. I mean, it says in the photo " You are looking at a unique-looking automobile."

... somebody stole one of its mirrors.

Da hell? Who steals a mirror? Like, they just ripped it off and ran, or they popped the mirror out with a screwdriver or something? I swear, that is the weirdest thing I've heard happen to a car in a while.

One thing that does it for me is rear wheel drive. And for the BMW 1-series hatchback, I love it! Despite the controversial looks when it first came out, I always toyed with the idea of owning rear wheel drive hatchback to use for say...drifting. :lol: Unfortunately, the newer 1-series is too ugly for me to like. :ill:
bmw-1-series-1.jpg.jpeg

Da hell? Who steals a mirror? Like, they just ripped it off and ran, or they popped the mirror out with a screwdriver or something? I swear, that is the weirdest thing I've heard happen to a car in a while.

I know right?
A couple years before that, when the silver Accord was parked in the driveway, somebody broke into it and stole its stereo. The weird thing is, we live maybe a quarter mile from a police station, so whoever took the Camry's mirror and the Accord's stereo must've been a real badass. :dopey:

BRTky.jpg

Don't forget about Kei cars! Will always love Kei cars. No matter how they look. :lol:

Oh, the horror. I don't understand why the Life Step Van had mud flaps. Still, I always get it in the UCD when I find it. I never drive it. I just like them. :scared:

Oh, the horror. I don't understand why the Life Step Van had mud flaps. Still, I always get it in the UCD when I find it. I never drive it. I just like them. :scared:

I personally do not like kei cars. The thought of a small hatchback made of plastic and using a 600cc bike motor isn't appealing at all to me. I like small cars (read: Minis), but kei cars just bore me for some reason. They're so dorky. :dunce:

One thing that does it for me is rear wheel drive. And for the BMW 1-series hatchback, I love it! Despite the controversial looks when it first came out, I always toyed with the idea of owning rear wheel drive hatchback to use for say...drifting. :lol: Unfortunately, the newer 1-series is too ugly for me to like. :ill:

I don't care the 1 series that much either.

Last one from me for the night. I honestly have no idea what this is. I came across it while looking at Life Step Vans. It looks offroad, but at the same time, it looks like something grannies drive around the mall, like some sort of scooter or golfcart. They just have that Slanted hood with the spare in front that I like. Odd.

24cfqiv.jpg

I don't care the 1 series that much either.

Last one from me for the night. I honestly have no idea what this is. I came across it while looking at Life Step Vans. It looks offroad, but at the same time, it looks like something grannies drive around the mall, like some sort of scooter or golfcart. They just have that Slanted hood with the spare in front that I like. Odd.

24cfqiv.jpg

Alright, that's the one kei car I like, but that's it.

96-97_Ford_Taurus_sedan.jpg

For whatever reason, I quite like the '96-'00 Ford Taurus. The oval body is just so different, and all those gentle curves and ovals just give it such a relaxing charm to it. I think it's a neat looking car, and the interior looks so nice and spacious. It just seems like a car that would be so nice to just quietly waft along in, but yet you can thrash it whenever, because it's too slow to actually break the law, and it's so old and cheap that it doesn't matter if you dent it up.

You guys would be surprised how amazing these old jelly bean Tauruses are. My uncle had one for a while a couple years back and we ragged on it pretty hard. It was so freaking comfortable to drive, like lounging on your couch. You could steer it with your pinky. The throttle and transmission were like butter. A completely different experience than any small economy car or anything remotely sporty.

All 3 of the cars I've owned before my WRX would count for this.

Probably the most appealing would have been The Cereal Box:

34209884.jpg

The ol' Skyline wasn't a looker but it was such a great car. Comfortable, effortlessly reliable and cheap to runabout and wasn't too bad to drive either.

I don't know why..... but...

716px-Moke02.png

It's just so appealing to me, I would daily drive that if I could get one here in the states.

Back