Ugly, weird, silly, and just plain stupid car rebadges

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 287 comments
@Lilium @ToyGTone Actually, the Asia-Pacific FD Civic is a rebadged CSX. I'm just show from where the design came from, to where it ended up.

Since the FA Civic was sold in China, the FD was sold as a Dongfeng in 2012-15, alongside the FB. Due to bearing a lot of similarities with the FA, sales were poor.

@Lilium @ToyGTone Actually, the Asia-Pacific FD Civic is a rebadged CSX. I'm just show from where the design came from, to where it ended up.
Actually i already know that.

Since the FA Civic was sold in China, the FD was sold as a Dongfeng.
I mean i know that Chinese cars like Geely, BYD, Chery, Jac and so on exists and started getting more popular over here but i never heard of Dongfeng. I'm curious and want to know more about them.

In the subject of Chinese cars...

640px-Volkswagen_Santana_China_2012-04-08.JPG

Shanghai-Volkswagen Santana

640px-Volkswagen_Santana_2000_01_China_2012-04-08.JPG

Shanghai-Volkswagen Santana 2000

640px-Volkswagen_Santana_3000_China_2012-04-14.jpg

Shanghai-Volkswagen Santana 3000

---------------

640px-JettaMkII.JPG

Volkswagen Jetta (US)

640px-Volkswagen_Jetta_facelift_China_2013-03-04.jpg

FAW-Volkswagen Jetta König

640px-Volkswagen_Jetta_facelift_III_01_China_2012-06-23.JPG

FAW-Volkswagen Jetta Pionier​

1980-1987 Saab 600, a rebadged Lancia Delta. This was the result of a partnership between Saab and the Italian Fiat Group in 1980. Saab was originally going to design a new compact car to replace the aging 99, but at last minute decided to just rebadge the Lancia instead, because they didn't have enough money to produce an all-new vehicle. The only engine it got was a 1.5L four-cylinder, which pumped out 85 horsepower. There also was no automatic transmission available. These Saab-Lancias were exclusively sold in Sweden, Finland, and Norway, and only 6,419 were made.

\

Last edited:
Saab was originally going to design a new compact car to replace the aging 96,
Technically they already had over 10 years earlier, they called it 99.

Seriously though, I'd say that the Saab-Lancia was more of an attempt to sell a car made by a company, which had neither the dealer network or anywhere near good brand recognition in the market in question, through a company, which had both, than a serious attempt at a compact car by Saab.

My mistake.
Not entirely, there was a bit of sarcastic take on Saab keeping the 96 on its line-up up until the early 80s and then making a budget car by combing a 99 and 900 for the same market as the 600 was sold in 84.

The Mercedes X-Class. Basically a Nissan Navara.
Mercedes-Benz-X-Class-2.jpg

nissan-navara-enhanced-euro6-engine-7.jpg

The Nissan interior bits won't help it feel...like a Merc.
2018-mercedes-benz-x-class-6.jpg

interior.png.ximg.l_full_m.smart.png
The Merc version looks more like a cheap base model of the Navara, what with the flat plastic bumper and barren dashboard. What exactly are people paying a premium for, the itty-bitty touchscreen they glued on there?

Suzuki Cultus

remember-the-nobuhiro-monster-tajima-twin-engine-suzuki-cultus-video-we-shared-with-you-last-sunday-well-tajima-san-has-genero-161519.jpeg

Ops not the Pikes Peak version, I meant the normal one. :P

suzuki-cultus-1992-12090872.jpg

Was also sold as a Geo Metro, Chevrolet Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, Holden Barina, Subaru Justy, Suzuki Swift and so on.

BWnbONvlSZe.jpg

%2789-%2791_Chevrolet_Sprint_5-Door.jpg

BUw80KxgM-_.jpg

BUxKuGvFnEk.jpg
BTt9u6aFrEJ.jpg
BThY_jdFLrk.jpg

Hillman Hunter

Hillman_Hunter.JPG

Was available from many Rootes Group companies.

Chrysler Hunter
Chrysler_Hunter.jpg

Humber Sceptre
humber.sceptre.jpg

Singer Vogue
Sunbeam_Vogue.jpg

And it lived on in Iran until 2005 as the Peykan
Peykan.jpg

The first Paykan, which means "arrow" in Farsi, was first manufactured in Iran in 1967, a year after the Hillman Hunter appeared in Britain. It became an exclusively Iranian model after Chrysler UK discontinued it and sold sole manufacturing rights to Iran in 1979.

In 2005, two million of the five million cars on Iran's roads are Paykans and sales were still 150,000 a year

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/apr/22/iran.roberttait

Who can forget the most rebadged vehicle in world?

The Fiat/VAZ/Lada thing wasn't strictly a rebadge, the body panels and some of the chassis was the same but the cars built in the (Fiat constructed) VAZ plant were different in a thousand ways. Well, 800 ways. Not even the same engines/gearboxes etc.

Same with the Yugos.

Who can forget the most rebadged vehicle in world?

640px-Fiat124Luc106.jpg

Fiat 124

640px-SEAT_124_fl_front.jpg

SEAT 124

640px-1976_Tofa%C5%9F_Murat_124_%28Ko%C3%A7%29.jpg

Tofaş Murat 124

11-Fiat-124-Peugeot-604-Kia-Knockdowns.jpg

Fiat-Kia 124

640px-1989_Premer_118NE.jpg

Premier 118NE

And finally...

640px-1980_-_VAZ_2101.JPG

640px-Lada_2107_aka_Lada_Riva_October_1995_1452cc.jpg

VAZ-2101 till 07 (better known as the Lada Riva)
Not even close to "most rebadged vehicle in the world". The Chevrolet Aveo was rebadged twice as much.

There's even a UTE version of the rebadge, but they missed the opportunity of calling it the El Camino.
ssv-4.jpg
It would only make sense if they called it the El Camino if it was sold in North America, which it wasn't. The markets where it was sold in never received the El Camino.

It would only make sense if they called it the El Camino if it was sold in North America, which it wasn't. The markets where it was sold in never received the El Camino.
I know, I wasn't being serious.

Chevrolet Lumina SS, I didn't think any branch of GM would call a commodore rebadge a "Lumina". This makes it the least boring Lumina I've heard of.
Chevrolet_Lumina_S.jpg

There's even a UTE version of the rebadge, but they missed the opportunity of calling it the El Camino.
ssv-4.jpg
The only reason why car enthusiasts over here knows the existence of Holden is because of this car. It's surprisingly popular to see plenty of these with a Holden Badge. While South Africa got the Ute version, for unknown reasons we didn't get it sadly.

While I like it, I find myself thinking that it's a bit overrated IMO.

The Vauxpel Kadastra E also took on the glorious incarnation as both the Pontiac Le Mans and the Daewoo Le Mans Racer

Pontiac_LeMans_GSS.jpg

20101003_daewoo_new_lemans_van_02.jpg

And the Pontiac was built by Daweoo and imported from Korea instead of actually being the Vauxhall version, just to make absolutely sure you knew how much contempt late 80s GM had for people who bought small cars instead of Bonnevilles.

Apparently, the venerable Opel GT was badged as the Buick Opel GT for the American market.

The GT was only rebadged on paper, presumably because people weren't familiar with the Opel nameplate. They still had proper Opel badging.

My uncle had 3 at one point and my cousin had one until a few months ago. Great little cars.

Back