Units...

• Thread starter rex1825
  • 22 comments
Yeah, it's all metric or all imperial. You can't mix and match.
Well, apart from the UK game which has imperial speed (mph) and power (hp) but metric track lengths (m) and weight (kg).

Up. Not a big fan of inches and Hertz in my suspension settings; I miss seeing millimeters and kgf/mm as I'm more used to those :(

I am far too old to completely learn the metric system. I know simple things like 300KPH is around 200MPH and 13mm is around 1/2" but I would be lost if I had to use the complete metric system. :dunce::dunce::dunce:

But most of all, who thought that that kgm is a good unit to measure torque. I'd rather have all my units as SI units than having wierd units.
This doesn't mean I really like getting speeds in [m/s] and temperature in [K], but it is better than having kgm.

You don't like metric?
The correct unit would be kw but tbh I don't have any relation with it whereas PS is just the unit to measure power for me :D

BTW: I got the replay saved of the Cayman race where you wrecked me off after I was wrecked off :lol: Sorry again for causing trouble there :crazy:

You don't like metric?
I love metric. But the metric unit of power is watts.

Everything in the metric - or rather the SI - system of units is 1 of one base unit multiplied or divided by 1 of another base unit*. 1 watt is 1 joule divided by 1 second (1W = 1J/s). 1 joule is 1 newton multiplied by 1 metre (1J = 1Nm). So 1 watt is 1 newton multiplied by 1 metre, divided by 1 seconds (1W = 1Nm/s)

PS is a bastardised conversion from the Imperial unit of horsepower. It takes the Imperial unit, which is defined as 550 multiplied by 1 foot multiplied by 1 pound, divided by one second (1hp = 550lbft/s) and simply converts it into metric units and rounds it off to the nearest attractive number, with no regard for the metric system. 1PS is 75kgm/s, because there's 2.205 pounds in a kilogram and 3.281 feet in a metre, and 550 divided by (2.205 x 3.281) is 76.02 and that's not very attractive so let's round it off to 75. It's not even like horsepower was right in the first place - it was a fudge that Watt used to sell steam engines - so it's just nonsense piled on nonsense.

And then car manufacturers use that number as if it's relevant to anything because it gives them the biggest number. 200hp is 149kW, but 203PS and more is better! Although they're legally required in Europe to show it in kW (and have been since 1972), they almost all include that in parentheses somewhere well downstream of the PS value.

*Although the base units themselves may have less singular origins.

PS is a bastardised conversion from the Imperial unit of horsepower. It takes the Imperial unit, which is defined as 550 multiplied by 1 foot multiplied by 1 pound, divided by one second (1hp = 550lbft/s) and simply converts it into metric units and rounds it off to the nearest attractive number, with no regard for the metric system. 1PS is 75kgm/s, because there's 2.205 pounds in a kilogram and 3.281 feet in a metre, and 550 divided by (2.205 x 3.281) is 76.02 and that's not very attractive so let's round it off to 75. It's not even like horsepower was right in the first place - it was a fudge that Watt used to sell steam engines - so it's just nonsense piled on nonsense.

I actually prefer the explanation that the Brits had stronger horses than the Germans ;)

You use watts exclusively then?
Depends on the context. In daily mutterings, I use horsepower more often than not because I'm 40 and British. Professionally I always use watts as a reference value - primarily because car manufacturers use PS but label it as hp (because PS means "horsepower" so they can get away with it). In fact the only press release I've seen recently to draw any distinction between PS and hp was the Rolls-Royce Cullinan. You'll notice that GTP's news pieces that quote hp are almost always 1.4% lower than other outlets because we always use the SI power as a reference.

The same applies to lbfft, kgfm (the extra "f" is very important, as neither lb nor kg are a force) and Nm too. Nm is the reference value (1W = 1Nm/s) for conversion to lbfft (1hp = 550lbft/s).

PS is an abomination created from throwing metric units at an Imperial measurement with no regard for the actual metric system.

It's like creating a unit of length from the Imperial (and thus made-up) foot by working out how far it is in metric units (30.5 centimetres), rounding it to the nearest nice-looking number (30) and calling it a "ped", "pied" or "fuss" (or myriad other European words) depending on what the language is. Then telling everyone you're six feet (182.9cm) tall when you're under five foot eleven, because you're six fuss (180cm) tall. Absolute nonsense.

Last edited:
The correct unit would be kw but tbh I don't have any relation with it whereas PS is just the unit to measure power for me :D
For me as well. Never used anything else other than CV and Nm, but I was stuck with kW in Forza and now with HP/Kgm in GT. Devs really don't like to give us different options..

PS is an abomination created from throwing metric units at an Imperial measurement with no regard for the actual metric system.
And on top of that they had the nerve to call it metric horsepower :D You must be fuming :lol:

And on top of that they had the nerve to call it metric horsepower :D You must be fuming :lol:
Yep - every time I see a press release with PS in it (which is about ten times a day) I yell at it :lol:

Back