UNIVERSAL COMP RULES FOR DUMMIES *SIMPLE EDITION*

• Thread starter 240sxlove
  • 14 comments
United States
FL
NRz_DuhVillain
Hey so I just wanted to post this because these are the rules that competitions have pretty much always been using since the beginning of online drift comps in GT5.I understand there is another rulebook out there with extreme dept on the details of how a competition works on a pro level. This is just to serve as a brief abbreviated version of that for people and teams that want a quick rundown to refer to for impromptu competitions. There are a lot of teams that are abandoning traditional impromptu competition rules so here are the basic guidelines that you and your team should follow if you would like to be taken seriously. These rules are accepted and abided by teams such as SYN-D1, Team NEMESIS, NRz, DUD, NOISBOMB, MCR, EMP, AAO, STAR DRIFT, etc.

RESTRICTIONS:
  • -CH TIRES ONLY (I am aware of the controversy on realism but gt6 physics allows for more ideal competition on CH tires)
  • -ABS: ALLOWED (people who restrict ABS are not realizing that the brakes in GT6 lock up very quickly and make it difficult to slow down or stop. left foot braking is a vital tool in drifting and if your team is restricting ABS and not using front breaks, then that just means one of your leaders hasn't figured it out yet...but that's okay because that is why I wrote this. If you restrict ABS because you don't use it, that doesn't make any sense. If you don't want to use abs then fine, but don't restrict the ability for other drivers to use it that actually understand how to use left foot breaking as a useful tool.)
  • -HP REGULATIONS: the most common restriction is 600hp. There is not much need to go any higher than 600hp. If your car can not get grip then you need to tune your suspension not add more hp. Grip will make you drift faster, not hp.
  • -DRIVETRAIN: FRONT ENGINE ONLY (i don't see a need to elaborate on that)
  • -DRIFT MODE: OPTIONAL (more steering lock is more realistic but being in race mode makes drivers more reliant on their tune in order to achieve good angle
COMPETITION RULES:
  • -PASSING: passing is not allowed and will always amount to an automatic zero on your run unless the lead driver goes off line and you pass by taking the proper driving line. If you are not on the proper driving line and can not make a CLEAN pass then you get a zero. It is also not allowed to force a pass.
  • -CONTACT: contact does not amount to an automatic zero unless the lead driver is pushed off line or off track. If there is contact but it does not affect the lead driver than that is okay.
  • -COURTESY ROLE: Courtesy is expected to be given to the following driver on every run. Remember that the goal is for the drivers to be close to each other the entire time. It is harder for a car to show good driving ability if they are on the lead car's door than it is for them to show it if they are left behind. Drifting is supposed to be door to door and leaving another driver at the line leads to a rerun or sometimes a disadvantage.
  • -TIRE DROPS: Dropping one tire is a deduction and dropping two tires is an automatic zero on the run. Touching rumble strips doesn't count as a tire drop. the tire must go over the rumble strip.
  • -SPIN OUTS: If one driver spins out, it is up to the other driver to finish the run out clean. If it is not possible for you to stay in drift due to the nature of the other car's spin, then that will have to be taken into account by the judges.
  • -TANDEM RUNS: Tandem runs should always be one run with each driver getting a chance to lead and follow for a total of 2 runs and both runs should be on the same section and in the same direction. Some tracks are easier in one direction than the other and all variables should be constant so that the question of "Who is the better driver" can be answered. This way driving ability is the only changing variable.
  • -VOTING: voting is ultimately done at the end of the second run of the battle. typing who did better on the first run only exists to be a place marker for people to see who has the advantage. but if on the second run the other driver has the advantage and did a LOT better than the driver that did best on the first run, then the win should go to the driver that did the best overall. If voting is done on both runs then on a situation like that, the battle would go in to OMT and that wouldn't make sense.
  • -OMT vs. SUDDEN DEATH: This one gives me a headache. OMT means it is pretty much a repeat of the battle which means there are still two runs and each person will lead and chase. SUDDEN DEATH means that the runs go one at a time and the winner is whoever does best on the one run. Personally I think only OMT should be used vs. SUDDEN DEATH because it is often hard for a driver to show they are better and deserve the win by only one aspect of drifting when drifting skill comprises of both chase ability and lead ability.
COMPETITION JUDGING CRITERIA: (SPEED IS NOT ONE OF THEM)
  • - ANGLE: In drifting you always want to be as sideways as possible without scrubbing too much speed. If you decide to dial in on angle then it is up to you to make sure you keep your speed up. Judges will not blame the following driver for a collision that is caused by you scrubbing too much speed because you wanted to achieve more angle than you could handle.
  • - LINE: For every track there is an ideal driving line, You ALWAYS want to try to be on that line as often as possible if not the entire run. Overshooting a line will deduct from your run.
  • - STYLE: Style is a big factor in drifting. Drivers can choose to be smooth or aggressive on their transitions. while in a corner you should always try to stay smooth with as little major corrections as possible. If you are understeering into the corner in order to keep yourself in a drift then it may be time to look over your tune.
  • - PROXIMITY: Proximity is the biggest and most important factor. Drivers should not compete to leave each other behind but rather see who can handle being on someone's door better. It takes much more skill to stay close than it does to drift fast and this is important for both the lead driver and the chase driver because the lead drivers often focus too much on leaving the chase driver behind.
once again this is just for a simple brief rundown for impromptu competitions. If you are going to have a serious team competition then you should refer to the main rulebook on the pinned threads (OLR THREAD).

Last edited:
THis is not for formula d or any other pro series. Most people don't do half the stuff on there. This is a video game where half the rules used in a real life pro series can't actually be used. This is a general rule book for begining teams and drifters and it consists of less big words and what not so that gamers won't screw it up. this is also serving as more of a clarification type thing.

Great information. All impromptu competitions should use this set of guidelines. Excellent job. 👍
You can bet I'll be pointing people here when we do random comps in the future.

Can we argue against the rules? Are these going to be official ONLINE rules or just GTP comps?

Can we argue against the rules? Are these going to be official ONLINE rules or just GTP comps?
these are just recommended rules for an impromptu competition online to decrease the crazy variations of rules that show up in unofficial comps and make things confusing. What part of the rules would you like to contest?

ABS and Drift mode. In my opinion, they seem more of an aid if your only allowing CH tires.

ABS and Drift mode. In my opinion, they seem more of an aid if your only allowing CH tires.
The brakes in gt6 lock up unrealistically early. As a competitive drifter in real life i will say that Left foot breaking is a key tool to be utilized in a drift without locking them up. Many times i find myself being 100% on both throttle and break in order to decrease my drift speed without having to sacrifice any wheel speed. All professionals use this technique as well. If abs is turned off then it is very difficult to left foot brake without the front wheels locking up. It is an aid however it is a realistic aid because it is a technique that goes along with how drifting is done. you can slow down by coming off the throttle and dropping RPMs, or you can left foot brake and decrease your drift speed while keeping your rpms up. And personally i do not use drift mode in comps however in real life all professional drifters modify their cars in order to achieve more steering angle. If you want your comp to have a feel to it that represents the way professional cars would perform, then drift mode is more practical because greater amounts of steering lock can be achieved. without drift mode, some cars will naturally get more angle than others based on the nature of the corners and the characteristics of the cars setup.

The brakes in gt6 lock up unrealistically early. As a competitive drifter in real life i will say that Left foot breaking is a key tool to be utilized in a drift without locking them up. Many times i find myself being 100% on both throttle and break in order to decrease my drift speed without having to sacrifice any wheel speed. All professionals use this technique as well. If abs is turned off then it is very difficult to left foot brake without the front wheels locking up. It is an aid however it is a realistic aid because it is a technique that goes along with how drifting is done. you can slow down by coming off the throttle and dropping RPMs, or you can left foot brake and decrease your drift speed while keeping your rpms up. And personally i do not use drift mode in comps however in real life all professional drifters modify their cars in order to achieve more steering angle. If you want your comp to have a feel to it that represents the way professional cars would perform, then drift mode is more practical because greater amounts of steering lock can be achieved. without drift mode, some cars will naturally get more angle than others based on the nature of the corners and the characteristics of the cars setup.

On bold above, you referring real life or game wise? If real life, I have nothing to say since I got no experience but game wise, I second guess you on that one. I don't

use abs aand the majority of time I use, what it could be called, 'left foot brake' without my wheels locking. (My brake botton -square-) ;)

On bold above, you referring real life or game wise? If real life, I have nothing to say since I got no experience but game wise, I second guess you on that one. I don't

use abs aand the majority of time I use, what it could be called, 'left foot brake' without my wheels locking. (My brake botton -square-) ;)
I was referring to real life and then either your brake force is really low or your brakes are locking up and your just not noticing it. I notice the second the brakes lock up versus when they are just slowing down the car extremely well because i use locking and regular braking to achieve two very different effects. Pretty much the amount of speed you can scrub with the front brakes is more realistic with ABS than without because without abs you can only brake so aggressively before they lock up which isn't much because they lock up earlier than they would in real life even if you turn down the brake force.

I was referring to real life and then either your brake force is really low or your brakes are locking up and your just not noticing it. I notice the second the brakes lock up versus when they are just slowing down the car extremely well because i use locking and regular braking to achieve two very different effects. Pretty much the amount of speed you can scrub with the front brakes is more realistic with ABS than without because without abs you can only brake so aggressively before they lock up which isn't much because they lock up earlier than they would in real life even if you turn down the brake force.
Yup, been that way since 1.03 i think. Before that it used to take a while before the fronts locked up but after that update it basically made it lock up instantly on 2 or higher.

Hmmm . . . Lets see, where do I start . . .

Yes, my braking sensitivity is low, plus my brakes are tuned. Can't give details but I can only say that I have no brakes on the rear, only front. (I know, who would want t

to know my tunes and stuff, but still, I like to keep 'em to myself.)

My perception skills haven't rotten enough, so I believe I'd be able to notice if my brakes are locked or not. Heheheh (For the record, yes, I can notice it.)

As for comparing using the technique on the game with ABS to real life, once again, I can't comment on it. (Back to the game) > If we learn to brake softly, with the

acquired pressure needed, the brakes will not lock. (This is having in mind that I use 'Square Botton' for braking.)

P.S: Next time we see each other, chase me when I chase someone else and you'll see. 👍

Hmmm . . . Lets see, where do I start . . .

Yes, my braking sensitivity is low, plus my brakes are tuned. Can't give details but I can only say that I have no brakes on the rear, only front. (I know, who would want t

to know my tunes and stuff, but still, I like to keep 'em to myself.)

My perception skills haven't rotten enough, so I believe I'd be able to notice if my brakes are locked or not. Heheheh (For the record, yes, I can notice it.)

As for comparing using the technique on the game with ABS to real life, once again, I can't comment on it. (Back to the game) > If we learn to brake softly, with the

acquired pressure needed, the brakes will not lock. (This is having in mind that I use 'Square Botton' for braking.)

P.S: Next time we see each other, chase me when I chase someone else and you'll see. 👍
alright i'll follow you next time and see if it can work the same way.

Back