Unlocking Arcade Mode Bonus Cars

• Thread starter Sough
  • 5 comments
United States
United States
I'm planning an arcade mode speedrun and this has confounded me for a while, but I finally have it figured out.

Races must be completed in normal OR difficult mode and in each car class (A,B,C) to unlock anything.

Winning high speed ring unlocks autumn ring
Winning trial mountain unlocks deep forest
Winning GV east unlocks SSR5
Winning Clubman R5 unlocks grand valley

When any of those 4 pairs of tracks are fully won (both with A B and C cars) you unlock a new dealership. The dealerships will go in the following order (at least for NTSC US)---Toyota, Suburu, Dodge, TVR.

Side fact: I also discovered that the WRX is faster than the old Chevy and all the other originally available cars, it's grip is unreal. The vipers seems slightly faster, and I haven't tested the TVRs because once you have them, the run is over.

Hope this helps!

So you need to win at the High Speed Ring and Autumn Ring in Class C, B and A in order to unlock Toyota, win at Trial Mountain and Deep Forest in class C, B and A in order to unlock Subaru and so on.

I suppose it doesn't matter what order you do the tracks, I always did the original four tracks and then the four new, unlockable tracks. I wouldn't unlock Autumn Ring and do that one straight away before Trial Mountain or Grand Valley East.

Each to their own. I'm not sure how the order of unlocking will affect a speed run; you have to do all 8 tracks at some point regardless.

Almost--you can win a different pair of tracks first and you still unlock Toyota. It all doesn't make a huge difference, but it does matter because you need to know how and when you can use the eventually unlocked WRX, Vipers, and Toyota Soarer (b class), which will save a little time.

I forgot that the Soarer is B class. I usually just go for the FTO or FC RX-7.

EU and US versions of the game have a different arcade mode than the JP. Every car has more grip and overall speed than when playing in GT mode. The difference is very noticeable.
I've listed that with all the other difference between versions in this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/best-version.348338/

@Neddo

NTSC-J:
Lacks close chase view while racing.
Has a different soundtrack.
NSX GT1 Turbo instead of the LM GT2 (more power, slightly different look, black instead of "gold/brown")
TVR Griffiths have a different Race mod.
Arcade has the manufacturer list in a different order (you unlock the USA/GB manufacturers instead of the Japanese ones)
Arcade also has a slightly different car list.
Also no Corvette Stingray '67 and Mazda Eunos Roadster NB in Arcade

NTSC/PAL
PAL has multiple languages (Spanish, English, French, Italian, German)
Arcade mode is "buffed" (see my video about it where I compare how Arcade mode handles in all the regions)

Arcade Trial Mountain has a jump in the straight at the top most area.
Arcade Gran Valley East has a jump like the others said above.
Arcade Autumn ring has a jump right before going under the bridge at the loop part.
I think GV Speedway has a jump as well the in "S" part between turn 1 and 2. Not sure about this one.
Options menu has the ability to set sound and music volume (NTSC-J only has ON/OFF)
PAL ONLY: Options menu lets you listen to the ingame soundtrack.

In both versions, you can unlock everything by racing in the hard difficulty. However, you'll still have to race C class, B class and A class cars on all tracks to unlock everything.

Hi-Res Tracks are only night tracks and are not recquired to complete the game, nor do you win anything by completing them. They're just time trials.

All three versions have a few glitches here and there. I think NTSC-U version 1.0 has a glitch with the car wash where you would be charged quite a lot of money to wash your car. Or is that in GT2? I forget.

Finishing endurance races doesn't unlock anything. the credits movie only plays after completing the Gran Turismo Championship. However I don't remember if you can watch that movie anytime anywhere or if you have to complete that championship again to view it.

I'm trying to think, but I think that's all the main differences...

BTW, Grand Valley endurance gets you a Black/green or Black/blue Castrol Supra GT
SSR11 endurance 1 gets you the Nissan Silvia S14 LM Edition in either Red or Green
SSR11 2 gets you the Nismo GTR LM Road Car (and it has a race mod)

Thanks for that sub--yeah the arcade boost is quite noticeable. I did a 43.7 on high speed ring with an arcade viper, but with the same car suped to the max in sim mode I couldn't match the time. The Suburu in particular is boosted to faster speed and ridiculous grip--it outperforms the arcade Skyline, GTO, Corvettes, and even NSX.

@Liquid the RX7 Savanna and FTO are solid choices although I find the Eclipse to be marginally faster still.

Back