Best version

• Thread starter Neddo
  • 30 comments

What is the best GT1 version

• Total voters
Honestly I think that's a question that should be asked about GT2 because GT2 was a LOT buggier than this at launch...

Regarding the best version I would probably have to say the NTSC-J version. All the car model names would make sense (because the car names are the Japanese names, and this is the Japanese region game), they would be more realistic (for instance, an Acura NSX Type S Zero on the NTSC-U version?), and the soundtrack is honestly better compared to PAL and NTSC-U versions. Plus the tracks are more realistic in Arcade Mode (NTSC-U and I believe the PAL version has this too, tracks that have a jump on them, if I remember correctly it was most notable on Trial Mountain and Grand Valley)

Plus the tracks are more realistic in Arcade Mode (NTSC-U and I believe the PAL version has this too, tracks that have a jump on them, if I remember correctly it was most notable on Trial Mountain and Grand Valley)
ummm I don't understand this

In the NTSC-U and PAL versions, the tracks in Arcade Mode have jumps and stuff. The NTSC-J version doesn't. To put it into the simplest words

Although I don't remember it myself, others have said that on the longest straight at Trial Mountain there was a jump which they claimed to be a lot of fun. I do remember a jump at Grand Valley somewhere as well. I just don't remember where.

Although I don't remember it myself, others have said that on the longest straight at Trial Mountain there was a jump which they claimed to be a lot of fun. I do remember a jump at Grand Valley somewhere as well. I just don't remember where.
This only happens in arcade mode?

The jump at Grand Valley you're talking about was on the East circuit (the shorter version of the track), and it was just before turn two. Depending on how fast your car was you'd have to lift before the jump, or even brake; or find yourself hitting the wall, rather than the apex! :lol:

The jump at Grand Valley you're talking about was on the East circuit (the shorter version of the track), and it was just before turn two. Depending on how fast your car was you'd have to lift before the jump, or even brake; or find yourself hitting the wall, rather than the apex! :lol:
That happened to me yesterday haha:lol:

Honestly? Pick the version you like the most. NTSC-J is the original and lacks the changes made to suit the western public (including the awesome Corvette '67) and fix some issues. NTSC-U/C is easier to navigate but has a more arcade-ish Arcade Mode (makes sense, doesn't?), an inferior NSX-R LM and arguably inferior TVR racing modifications. PAL has... more language options (and Feeder, of course).

There are playthroughs of all versions on YouTube, you can watch those if you can't decide yet.

But there is no C2 Corvette in Japanese version :( Also is Japanese version more realisitic in simulation mode, and if yes, is it really that noticeable?

Last edited:
Is it possible to complete arcade mode on hard and get all awards without completing easy and normal difficulties? And is hifi mode anything relevant to game completion?

I ****ed up, I saved instead of loading a save game and I lost everything. Only 2 endurance races remained. I can't recover them. If I get a savegame with everything completed, will I miss something (a special video, reward, some races that can be only raced once)? I will replay those 2 endurances. I completed all 4 GT leauge chanmpiopnships and I got credits movie. I don't think there is another credits movie

Also, do arcade and simulation mode have any relation (are they independent career modes?)

According to this http://johnsgtspace.blogspot.ba/2010/11/races-of-gran-turismo-1.html there are "bonus" races. What are they? HiFi ones?
(Two Bonus Races...)
Once you've cleared all the other races and championships, you get to race two special events. Neither of which have any sort of prize on the line. Let's just say these two races provides the fastest racing in Gran Turismo once you unlock these races. Also, you race on your own in these events.

Worry about this one only after you've won all the other championships! ;-)

EDIT Is time attack in both modes any relevant?

Last edited:
WRT "Two Bonus Races...", it ounds like they are talking about Hi-Res mode. As you imply.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/hi-res-mode.103337/

True, there are actually three tracks, not two. Oh well.

Arcade Mode and Simulation Mode do not interact in any way.

After you unlock it, I believe the Credits movie becomes a menu option somewhere, so it should be accessible in the game save version.

hard to tell, usa version is a good ''port'', it's nice to have info translated, little different physics in arcade mode and a zoomed-in chase view but replacing soundtrack was a bad move:(

@Neddo

NTSC-J:
Lacks close chase view while racing.
Has a different soundtrack.
NSX GT1 Turbo instead of the LM GT2 (more power, slightly different look, black instead of "gold/brown")
TVR Griffiths have a different Race mod.
Arcade has the manufacturer list in a different order (you unlock the USA/GB manufacturers instead of the Japanese ones)
Arcade also has a slightly different car list.
Also no Corvette Stingray '67 and Mazda Eunos Roadster NB in Arcade

NTSC/PAL
PAL has multiple languages (Spanish, English, French, Italian, German)
Arcade mode is "buffed" (see my video about it where I compare how Arcade mode handles in all the regions)

Arcade Trial Mountain has a jump in the straight at the top most area.
Arcade Gran Valley East has a jump like the others said above.
Arcade Autumn ring has a jump right before going under the bridge at the loop part.
I think GV Speedway has a jump as well the in "S" part between turn 1 and 2. Not sure about this one.
Options menu has the ability to set sound and music volume (NTSC-J only has ON/OFF)
PAL ONLY: Options menu lets you listen to the ingame soundtrack.

In both versions, you can unlock everything by racing in the hard difficulty. However, you'll still have to race C class, B class and A class cars on all tracks to unlock everything.

Hi-Res Tracks are only night tracks and are not recquired to complete the game, nor do you win anything by completing them. They're just time trials.

All three versions have a few glitches here and there. I think NTSC-U version 1.0 has a glitch with the car wash where you would be charged quite a lot of money to wash your car. Or is that in GT2? I forget.

Finishing endurance races doesn't unlock anything. the credits movie only plays after completing the Gran Turismo Championship. However I don't remember if you can watch that movie anytime anywhere or if you have to complete that championship again to view it.

I'm trying to think, but I think that's all the main differences...

BTW, Grand Valley endurance gets you a Black/green or Black/blue Castrol Supra GT
SSR11 endurance 1 gets you the Nissan Silvia S14 LM Edition in either Red or Green
SSR11 2 gets you the Nismo GTR LM Road Car (and it has a race mod)

Last edited:
If you think the Japanese version is not good you ain't played with Cerbera LM!!!

That car is so good in this version, it's the closest car to a F1 car! (with the right settings)

Japanese, That's how I remember game the best, with original soundtrack (though MSP EMGo is great too) didn't care close chase cam, those needles jumps on 3 arcade tracks nor '67 corvete with waggy tail after I beat jp and tried both us/eu vers. later on

Japanese, That's how I remember game the best, with original soundtrack (though MSP EMGo is great too) didn't care close chase cam, those needles jumps on 3 arcade tracks nor '67 corvete with waggy tail after I beat jp and tried both us/eu vers. later on
Plus - and maybe I’m just imagining it - but the driving feels different in the J version. Less twitchy, less grippy - more GT2 like.

Plus - and maybe I’m just imagining it - but the driving feels different in the J version. Less twitchy, less grippy - more GT2 like.
less grippy for sure, but very twitchy unless you do needed upgrades and neat configs (which I suck at, for now at least) some cars feel like cows on ice rink, just throwing hp's on them not necesserarely always work. I haven't played gt2 too much back then can't compare, those dirt/ tarmac tracks and turquoise sea didn't appeal for me for some reason, only recently I realized seatle, laguna, midway highway were introduced in game for 1st time and maybe I was missing out, also I felt like gt1 graphics was more polished and DC launch was on horizon with sega rally smooth poligons and I was all over it, graphics leap was so big, it was new for time

Back