Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,944 comments
SVX
Unpopular opinion: The Turner BMW livery is not that great. Kind of horrible, actually.
Not something I can agree on, but this thread obviously isn't called the "Unpopular Motosport Opinions" thread for nothing. Not the best livery, but certainly not terrible. Good color combination, and great flow of lines along the body. I'd honestly much rather see this on an M6:

Lone-Star-Le-Mans-Race-BMW-M6-GT3-Turner-1-750x500.jpg

(what really downgrades the livery is those endplates and bright green bits. Why IMSA :()

than this:

bmw-m6-gtlm-art-car-19_800x0w.jpg

Not something I can agree on, but this thread obviously isn't called the "Unpopular Motosport Opinions" thread for nothing. Not the best livery, but certainly not terrible. Good color combination, and great flow of lines along the body. I'd honestly much rather see this on an M6:

Lone-Star-Le-Mans-Race-BMW-M6-GT3-Turner-1-750x500.jpg

(what really downgrades the livery is those endplates and bright green bits. Why IMSA :()

than this:

bmw-m6-gtlm-art-car-19_800x0w.jpg

I don't mind the actual lines too much, it's just the colours clash too much imo.

SVX
I don't mind the actual lines too much, it's just the colours clash too much imo.
If you think they're bad, (and they're not great are they) have a look at this monstrosity that'll race in the Bathurst 12hr.
Someone brought Castrol money & another organised a donation from Vodafone. End result...
IMG_0245.PNG

IMG_0246.PNG

:yuck:

Does nothing for me. Single car stuff bores me.
But it's not single car. It's man and machine versus mother nature on some of the most difficult pieces of road that you can muster. It might not be wheel-to-wheel action, but that's the beauty of it: you're chasing down the other guy, almost completely blind. And the cars are only getting faster this year - they'll be at least as quick as the legendary Group B monsters of the 1980s.

SVX
Unpopular opinion: The Turner BMW livery is not that great. Kind of horrible, actually.

I'll counter with this...when you see a Turner BMW do you instantly recognize it at distance, etc? If so, I think the livery (whether or not you or I find it attractive) is successful. It's been around for what 15+ years now? I think a successful livery is partially one which is immediately recognizable - particularly in a pack. In a world of silver/white cars with blue and red stripes...it's refreshing to see a car so instantly identifiable in the pack.

I'll counter with this...when you see a Turner BMW do you instantly recognize it at distance, etc? If so, I think the livery (whether or not you or I find it attractive) is successful. It's been around for what 15+ years now? I think a successful livery is partially one which is immediately recognizable - particularly in a pack. In a world of silver/white cars with blue and red stripes...it's refreshing to see a car so instantly identifiable in the pack.
You can say that but it's hardly a good look for the sponsor if upon looking at the livery it's a negative feeling?

Well, that would be the case with any livery...ever created. There is no possible colour combination or livery which will be widely liked/loved/approved of. Identifiable? That's achievable.

If you think they're bad, (and they're not great are they) have a look at this monstrosity that'll race in the Bathurst 12hr.
Someone brought Castrol money & another organised a donation from Vodafone. End result...

It's the Castrol logo's on the front and back, that ruin it. It would look a hell of a lot better without them, imo.

Last edited:
Well, that would be the case with any livery...ever created. There is no possible colour combination or livery which will be widely liked/loved/approved of. Identifiable? That's achievable.

If the livery is the only way they're standing out, they're not driving fast enough :sly:

I'm not much of a fan of COTA as a motorcycle track. It just doesn't offer the kind of close racing that most other tracks get year after year.

Exactly. They just seem like hotlap cars with downforce after downforce and not going to improve the racing.
I don't think it's meant to improve the racing. I mean in the last few years the number of overtaking per season has skyrocketed with the introduction of DRS and control tyres and such but people still think the races are dull because the cars aren't exciting enough to watch and they don't work the driver too hard physically.

That's my point, all the preview's we have seen look awful
Speculative renders aren't really much to go off, wait for the official reveals and, most importantly, wait until you see them in action.

Nothing but fan mock ups have been seen by the public, but if more downforce means taking corners even faster, iam happy, as long as the drivers are struggling to keep it under control and its a real effort to do it. Testing starts soon, then we will find out !

I don't think Damon Hill gets enough credit for his time and efforts as a front runner in the mid-90s.

Agreed, its entirely overshadowed by the odd choices and decisions made post F1WDC season, its a shame because he could actually drive!

Jacques Villineuve was good. No seriously. He just never matured, probably got too full of himself, and his ability regressed instead of improving. His legacy may have been very different if he never went to BAR.

Shamefully he's made himself so unlikeable these days that no one ever gives him a second thought.

Jacques Villineuve was good. No seriously. He just never matured, probably got too full of himself, and his ability regressed instead of improving. His legacy may have been very different if he never went to BAR.

Autosport recently ran an article on Villeneuve. Apparantly, Adrian Newey phoned JV with a view to getting him to drive for McLaren in 1999, and Flavio Briatorie offered a Renault seat for 2000. Villeneuve didn't pursue either offer out of loyalty to Craig Pollock.

Roo
Autosport recently ran an article on Villeneuve. Apparantly, Adrian Newey phoned JV with a view to getting him to drive for McLaren in 1999, and Flavio Briatorie offered a Renault seat for 2000. Villeneuve didn't pursue either offer out of loyalty to Craig Pollock.
You could say he must Roo the day he turned down the offers.

I'll get my coat.

I've said it before; Jacques Villeneuve is proof that you can't just put anybody in a top car and have them win. There has to be some actual talent there.

As for the rest of his career, I think it's easy to overlook just how badly his title defence went. Williams' 1998 car was unquestionably gorgeous but it was not anywhere near as good as the McLaren or Ferrari. They had lost Adrian Newey and their Renault engines. Villeneuve was hopelessly outclassed and Frentzen was even worse. We know what Jacques' ego is like and such a terrible year in the number 1 car is something which must have really stayed with and depressed him. The fact that Pollock's promises did not turn into anything meaningful at BAR would have left him pretty unmotivated and his loyalty to Pollock certainly cost him good drives during his peak driving years.

What he did in 1996 (pole on debut, 4 wins) and 1997 (win the title) could not have been done by any debutant or even any of that time's F1 up-and-comers like Barrichello or Fisichella. If you want to break it down another way, only two drivers have walked into a top drive, been runners-up in their debut season and won the title in their second; Villeneuve is one and Lewis Hamilton is the other. Villeneuve even secured pole in his first race.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't like Jacques Villeneuve; he might be an unpopular champion but I don't think it's fair to call him an undeserving champion.

What he did in 1996 (pole on debut, 4 wins) and 1997 (win the title) could not have been done by any debutant or even any of that time's F1 up-and-comers like Barrichello or Fisichella.
Based on what? That is baseless speculation.

I'd say a fair few drivers on the grid (Rubens, Mika, maybe even Coulthard etc.) would have had a good shot at replicating Villeneuve's success.

I've said it before; Jacques Villeneuve is proof that you can't just put anybody in a top car and have them win. There has to be some actual talent there.

As for the rest of his career, I think it's easy to overlook just how badly his title defence went. Williams' 1998 car was unquestionably gorgeous but it was not anywhere near as good as the McLaren or Ferrari. They had lost Adrian Newey and their Renault engines. Villeneuve was hopelessly outclassed and Frentzen was even worse. We know what Jacques' ego is like and such a terrible year in the number 1 car is something which must have really stayed with and depressed him. The fact that Pollock's promises did not turn into anything meaningful at BAR would have left him pretty unmotivated and his loyalty to Pollock certainly cost him good drives during his peak driving years.

What he did in 1996 (pole on debut, 4 wins) and 1997 (win the title) could not have been done by any debutant or even any of that time's F1 up-and-comers like Barrichello or Fisichella. If you want to break it down another way, only two drivers have walked into a top drive, been runners-up in their debut season and won the title in their second; Villeneuve is one and Lewis Hamilton is the other. Villeneuve even secured pole in his first race.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't like Jacques Villeneuve; he might be an unpopular champion but I don't think it's fair to call him an undeserving champion.

The chassis was good, it was that Mechachrome engine that failed the team, Frentzen proved his talent in the mid field teams, wasn't he a championship contender in a Jordan?

Yeah, I tend to believe a few elements were at hand back then.

It was the transition to the narrow cars on grooved rubber,

Newey's arrival at McLaren explains their turnaround in fortunes, and,

The Ferrari Superteam of Talents, Schumacher, Brawn, Byrne et al was really beginning to gel and approaching their peak powers of dominance.

Add to that, Renault pulling the plug and the end result was what took place in late 90's F1.

Back