Unpopular Opinion - Forza Horizon 4 is a Huge Disappointment

• Thread starter Doomotron
  • 91 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The graphics in this game are pretty terrible no matter what you play it on. The design of the graphics honestly make it look like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. A game from 2007. The graphics of Forza Horizon 3 were better and (another unpopular opinion) Forza Horizon 2 for the Xbox 360's look better as well. It may seem like an exaggeration but it isn't. I'm serious.

:lol:

Legitimately, this feels like a troll thread wrapped in the tiniest kernals of truth. The 'graphics suck' bit sells it.

Look, there's some things that you can absolutely criticize about FH4. However, blatantly blowing smoke up your ass about graphics (when they are the best in the genre right now) and spending time on what essentially amounts to small fry issues really seems like you making mountains out of molehills, or you're trolling.

I'm leaning towards the latter.

FH4 is like the hugest disappointment to me.

I was driving the Peel P50 just now and when you hit the reverse gear button your character doesn't stop, get out of the car and physically push it backwards. 0/10 Kaz wouldn't have forgotten about this. :dunce:

Last edited:
FH4 is like the hugest disappointment to me.

I was driving the Peel P50 just now and when you hit the reverse gear button your character doesn't stop, get out of the car and physically push it backwards. 0/10 Kaz wouldn't have forgotten about this. :dunce:

K-Kaz senpai is the greatest...!

It isn't the photo I'm looking for but it'll do for now.
View attachment 771045
See what I mean? Forza Horizon 4's cars are just rendered too matty (if that's a word). Tell you what, I'll buy a 599 in FH4 and I'll take a screenshot, just to compare.
That was a bullshot from before the game was even released :lol: try again.

Wow, you really are taking this out of context. I used the fact that Forza Motorsport 4 has better graphics than both 5 and 6 - and possibly even 7 - to say that it's entirely possible. Also, have you even played the Xbox 360 version of Horizon 2? It looks spectacular reflection-wise.
the problem is is that it’s so dumb to pretend that because it’s really so far from the truth. In every aspect the next gen games are far superior visually than anything FM4 had. It’s not possible at all and if you can’t provide any examples still then really it’s all bull and fluff. No I played the Xbox one version of Forza Horizon 2, the one that is far superior to the game you’re talking about, and there’s still no way it’s better. It’s laughable that you are even pretending this. I’m going to have to ask you to provide some examples again.

The you know what I mean button.
I don’t know what you mean because it has nothing to do with what I said.

This is probably the simplest way I can put it: you can render a PS1 game in 4K but it'll still look like a PS1 game.
now you’re making even less sense. What in the heck does this even mean given the context of what you said originally?

Last edited:
The graphics in this game are pretty terrible no matter what you play it on. The design of the graphics honestly make it look like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. A game from 2007. The graphics of Forza Horizon 3 were better and (another unpopular opinion) Forza Horizon 2 for the Xbox 360's look better as well. It may seem like an exaggeration but it isn't. I'm serious.
Speaking as a guy that has spent plenty of time playing FH2 on the Xbox 360 myself along with spending the past summer playing some X360 & PS3 racing games including GT5 Prologue and PGR4. I can absolutely say that this is a whole load of malarkey! FH4's graphics are bounds above FH2 X360 and GT5 Prologue.

I could see how graphically FH4 could be a sideways step to FH3 on a 1S. On a 1X or a PC it's a major upgrade, on PC particularly FH3 had optimisation issues. But even FH3 was arguably the best looking racing game available in it's day, and FH4 is at worst equivalent. Saying that stuff like FH2 on 360 or FM4 are better is just asinine.

I can see why people might not like it, although I struggle to see how someone could like FH3 and not like FH4 other than it's largely more of the same. But that's pretty much true of any racing game, Horizon 1 was probably the biggest step away from convention in the genre for the last decade. Now it's refining and expanding, just like happened with Motorsport and Gran Turismo.

There are issues with the game that could be addressed or improved, but overall it seems to be by modern standards a pretty polished and complete product. I could criticise some of their design choices, but it's fairly minor stuff like packing out wheelspins with clothes and associated dreck. It's a good game, and it will probably come down to the DLC to decide whether this or FH3 is best racer of the console generation.

I could see how graphically FH4 could be a sideways step to FH3 on a 1S.
I have a 1S, and it's not.
The details up close could be compared, but the distant scenery is outstanding in FH4 compared to FH3, or anything I've played.

I could see a really bad TV limiting it, but I would need picture proof to believe it wasn't still better.

I also revisited FH2 and FH3 in the last 2-3 weeks, and it's honestly not even that close overall. FH2 is closer to FH3, although FH2 has the least, um, "stuttering"? Up close moving tree branches cause a weird stuttering effect, it's best not to stare.

Driving along playing it's no contest. It would require a totally crap tv or bad eyesight.
I'm using the cheapest 50" 4k tv on the market, at just $250 back in Feb. No HDR even.

Broadly speaking the game is more of the same decent formula with some things being better and some things being slightly worse. Classic Forza whether you like it or not.

Broadly speaking the game is more of the same decent formula with some things being better and some things being slightly worse. Classic Forza whether you like it or not.

To be fair, Forza has come a lot further by upgrading small increments in regular time frames than any other racing series I can think of.

To be fair, Forza has come a lot further by upgrading small increments in regular time frames than any other racing series I can think of.

And have actually listened to the whims and wishes of the fans, instead of going off on a completely different direction and saying **** you to whoever wasn't interested.

I have a One S and FH4 is a upgrade the biggest upgrade is how the sound of your car travels but even the roads are more detailed and look more real as well:
FH4:

FH3:

This is the OG Xbox One, how you can say the graphics have regressed is beyond me...

rsz_img_4512ee61-9e04-42cd-add9-7c5109c6935f.png

I'm currently on level 60 and more than 20 hours playing in total. Treating FH 4 as an isolated game and disregarding the previous games, I can give FH 4 a 9 but since that's not the case I give a 7.5. Here's why:

- too long tutorial
- boring environment
- not many "real new cars"
- limited number of avatars
- watered-down spin wheels (hate the stupid hipster clothes and dancing moves with all my guts)
- useless homes
- watered-down perks

FH 4 is basically a FH 3 with a bland map, worse game mechanics and seasons.

I'm currently on level 60 and more than 20 hours playing in total. Treating FH 4 as an isolated game and disregarding the previous games, I can give FH 4 a 9 but since that's not the case I give a 7.5. Here's why:

- too long tutorial
- boring environment
- watered-down spin wheels (hate the stupid hipster clothes and dancing moves with all my guts)
- useless homes
- watered-down perks

I've seen that tutorial complaint in several places, and I don't really get it. The first trip through all four seasons isn't all "tutorial" - yes, it introduces you to the game's various mechanics, races, and so on; but aside from these quick sidebars, you're essentially thrown into series races and other events pretty quickly.

You're doing your first road races within five minutes. Then your first "story" chapter right after that, then dirt races, and so on. Occasionally it tugs your shirt to show you something, or blather about how things work (and I wish you could skip through this stuff ANY time it happens), but you're generally just going through events.

But between getting to see the new seasons and how they change things, the showcase events (which are all frontloaded in the "prologue" period), and getting your hands on your first handful of cars, I found it all flowed mostly fine and kept me interested.

As for "boring environment".... I just don't know what to say to that. I find the environment to be remarkably beautiful, and the verticality of it adds so much more to racing, and just driving around. Some areas of the map are just jaw dropping.

- too long tutorial
- boring environment
- useless homes
- watered-down perks

Yes, because FH3 was better with it's *checks notes* completely flat terrain and mostly straight roads

I've resisted posting in this thread for as long as possible. People are entitled to their own opinions, of course, but try to have some foundation in reality when you form them! Statements like FH2 has better graphics or the map is so bland compared with FH3's are not only demonstrably false and laughable, they weaken any solid points you may have, and make you come off as nothing more than a troll.

Don't get me wrong, FH4 is not perfect (eg. menus), but it is the most beautiful - and one of the most immersive - video games I've ever seen and it is easily one of the best racers I've ever played. The scary part is with a little patching, polish, and fleshed out options, it can get even better!

This thread, on the other hand, has done little but give me a few laughs. I give it 👍 for humor and 👎 for content.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back