Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
Why? If they are cars I never knew existed, shouldn't they count as well? The concept car thread gets less traffic than the Cars You Never Knew About thread so sometimes I'm more inclined to post them there instead.

Since when has where you post something been dictated by how much 'traffic' it gets? This isn't a news bulletin.

I wouldn't kick that can over, or we'll have yet another thread for some vague category of vehicles people just want to post a picture of.

I'm surprised we haven't gotten to The Blue Cars Thread, or Orange Cars Only.

SVX
Since when has where you post something been dictated by how much 'traffic' it gets? This isn't a news bulletin.
Because I feel more inclined to post certain concept cars in the "cars you didn't know about until now" thread because more members seem to view it/post in it than the concept cars thread. Obviously I want as many people to see and like my posts as possible. Whether its a production car, race car concept car, one-off, etc, as long as it's a car I never knew existed, why would it not be eligible to be posted in that thread?

I wouldn't kick that can over, or we'll have yet another thread for some vague category of vehicles people just want to post a picture of.
And why does it matter? If you don't like there being new threads, ignore them and move on. Or if it really bothers you that much, block the person who makes these threads, as some members have already done with me. I swear some people insist on the C&G forum to have as little traffic as possible. As if all hell breaks lose every time a new thread is created, because technically a certain car can be posted in another thread so all new ones must be redundant. There's a separate subforum for the Cool Wall now yet some people still aren't pleased.

Obviously I want as many people to see and like my posts as possible.
If you don't like there being new threads, ignore them and move on.

You are already on my ignore list because I've no interest in seeing Cool Wall posts. Up until now, there was a slight twinge in my brain that says... it's probably not fair to lump this guy in with the rest of the people I ignore, since I don't really have a problem with anything you have to say.. but if you're spamming the car threads to get attention and likes... well... I may get that twinge less. If you want likes, post something people like.

You are already on my ignore list because I've no interest in seeing Cool Wall posts. Up until now, there was a slight twinge in my brain that says... it's probably not fair to lump this guy in with the rest of the people I ignore, since I don't really have a problem with anything you have to say.. but if you're spamming the car threads to get attention and likes... well... I may get that twinge less. If you want likes, post something people like.
Being that there is now a subforum dedicated to only Wall threads, you wont be bombarded with them when you enter this forum if you take me off. I don't spam anywhere nor do I only post for likes. I post whatever I find interesting, not what I feel will get the most likes.

Being that there is now a subforum dedicated to only Wall threads, you wont be bombarded with them when you enter this forum if you take me off. I don't spam anywhere nor do I only post for likes. I post whatever I find interesting, not what I feel will get the most likes.

If it was just what you found interesting, the amount of 'traffic' it gets wouldn't matter

I actually quite like the Bentley Continental GT, but for some reason I find the second generation more attractive than the current third generation. (if it is considered that) Both are attractive and it's nice how slim the current generation looks, but I find the second generation Continental GT to be just right. Mostly from the rear is where I find the second generation to be better looking.
Bentley-Continental-GT-rear-static-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpiVx42joSuAkZ0bE9ijUnGH28ZiNHzwg9svuZLxrn1U.JPG

2019_bentley_continental-gt_actr34_fd_2281901_1600.jpg

I see most reviews describe the current GT as beautiful, but something about the rear end seems almost anonymous.

I actually quite like the Bentley Continental GT, but for some reason I find the second generation more attractive than the current third generation. (if it is considered that) Both are attractive and it's nice how slim the current generation looks, but I find the second generation Continental GT to be just right. Mostly from the rear is where I find the second generation to be better looking.
Bentley-Continental-GT-rear-static-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpiVx42joSuAkZ0bE9ijUnGH28ZiNHzwg9svuZLxrn1U.JPG

2019_bentley_continental-gt_actr34_fd_2281901_1600.jpg

I see most reviews describe the current GT as beautiful, but something about the rear end seems almost anonymous.
I've often wondered just how blind people manage to use the internet.

:P

I don't like the current CGT's ovoid taillights, but yeah, I do think the thing is stunning on the whole.

I can't stand McLaren's current design philosophy. They had me with the 12C, and only saw improvement with the 650S and P1, but after that it just felt like a downward spiral. Their designs always did push functionality over form, but there was always something there that I liked. With the Elva, GT, 720S, Senna, 765LT, and Speedtail, whatever was there is gone now.

I tend to see lots of Miata's tooling around where I live and I imagine a good number of them are daily driven, or near enough. I tend to agree with Tornado here. I will say that it's a polarizing car. You either think it's a rad car, or is a hair dressers "sports" car. However, I see enough on the road that its not really an unpopular opinion. Further they have built over 1 million Miata's and every year sell over 37,000 globally, it really appears to be not so unpopular for a good deal of segments, much less its own.

Well how many Miatas do you see on the road... and how many of them do you think are driven daily?

In my town, a lot. Mazda is our primary and most highly rated car dealership, and there's plenty of Miatas on the road in the summer season. There's even a casual "Miata Club" with some twenty members who do coastal cruises once a week. I'd say its one of our five most numerous sports cars on the road.

That being said, I can see "Miata being a viable daily driver" as an unpopular opinion. Its a fun little car, but I'd never use it as a daily. Mainly for lack of trunk space, seating for friends/family, and the matter of snow. We see a lot in the summer, but more so as sunset cruisers than daily use vehicles. And once mid fall hits, they all go into hibernation.

Well how many Miatas do you see on the road... and how many of them do you think are driven daily?
At least one per day (counting Fiatas), starting near the middle of March when older generation models start coming out. And that's living in a part of the country where the weather has a very good chance of being complete garbage from mid-November until midway through May. I have no reason to believe that they aren't being driven daily by those people, especially those who dig theirs out early in the spring or put them away late in the year and just leave the roof up when it's 40 degrees out.

I don’t think there’s anything unpopular about that opinion.
For thirty years it has been a cheap-ish, fairly fuel efficient car that's easy to drive, doesn't have any annoying tendencies in normal inclement weather, is easy to maneuver and has decent storage space (admittedly better in previous generations). Most people who daily drive Corvettes and 911s (and there are a lot of them) could almost certainly also daily drive a Miata if they had one instead. Unless you just can't fit in one comfortably, there's nothing about it that inherently prevents it from being a daily driver like there was for, say, the MR2 Spyder.

Not everyone takes a look at their commute and says "I'm single/married with no kids, so I need to go buy a crew cab Raptor for my drive to work and back."

Last edited:
Most new Porsches are way overpriced and aren't as good of a value as competitors from other brands.

The most insulting one is making options that are SUPPOSED to be standard.

Like, charging extra for a wind deflector on a Boxster? They're out of their minds.

And the GTS trim levels. They're now basically enticing people to try out all the options (including the ones they DON'T need) in a single package, instead of actually paying homage to the 904 Carrera GTS - a spartan, no compromise car made to slay giants.

Split bumper is kinda dumb. I'm surprised the Trans Am look isn't more popular.
I'm not so sure the Camaro could pull it off without a vastly different front end treatment. The Trans Am benefitted from a pancaked, protruding frontal area with a "weak chin," where the Camaro is decidedly more brick-like.

Even the regular Firechicken (okay, this is a Formula but it illustrates the point) managed without T/A's chin adornment.

pa0714-188565_1@2x.jpg

Most of McLaren's lineup isn't that special. Ever since they released the MP4-12C (hideous name by the way), I've seen their products as Ferrari imitations with no real flair or character. I'm not talking about the Senna, the F1 or the P1, but rather the lesser vehicles such as the 570, 720 and 650. They are great handling cars but I don't find them particularly exciting; I mean the engines sound rather boring for one thing. McLaren doesn't have the same kind of brand legacy as Ferrari or Lamborghini, and aren't as desirable as a result. You wont hear anyone say that their dream car is a McLaren. I don't the find the styling to be very original, it seems too conservative for a supercar. Even the Ford GT makes a 720S look bland. In fact, I'd be more inclined to drive a Ford GT over a "regular" McLaren any day of the week.

You wont hear anyone say that their dream car is a McLaren.

During the supercar doldrums of the 1990s and 2000s, a lot of people would have said this about the McLaren F1. Some still might, as it is still the fastest NA road car. It's quite special in that regard.

It wasn't until the Veyron came out 13 years after the F1 that the McLaren was knocked off its perch. It might not be as true as it used to be but a McLaren, the McLaren as it was the only one, was a dream car for a long time.

I agree that McLaren's portfolio is less exciting now but that's a given when you go from one unique model to several and the market for super sportscars becomes oversaturated.

Not sure this is unpopular, but might be incendiary...The Dodge Charger (new millennium Era) typifies a race-inclusive toxic masculinity better than any other car or truck on the market. From base model V6s to top of the line Hellcats; rear wheel drive or all wheel drive, there's a model out there for toxic males of all income levels and geographic locations.

Back