Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
The Mazda 787B was a largely terrible Group C car and people tend to overlook its rather poor full competition history that wasn't at Le Mans

It looks great and sounds great. And that is purely opinion, I know.

I don't think too many 787B fans actually champion it as a superior racecar but that doesn't mean it cannot be popular. Lots of great looking cars are terrible machines but that hasn't stopped people being fans of Alfa Romeos, for example.

...but to some people, there is only Le Mans. It's won the greatest(that's what some people say) race. The only race that matters.

I found out about the 787B when I bought three Tamiya scale models back in 1991: Nissan R89C, Sauber C9 and the XJR-9. Didn't know much about the 787B until it won Le Mans. I did know more about the GTO/GTU cars though.

You do see a lot of people believe that it was banned the following year for being too good though, not because of the new 3.5 litre F1 rules that got rid of the Jags, 962s etc. You can also tell a lot of people know the 787B won Le Mans but not how, otherwise they'd realise how silly saying the Mazda got banned for performance when the Peugeots, Jaguars and Saubers had them licked pace wise. Mazda just won LM like Audi did in 2008/2010 by being there at the finish when everyone else broke down, nothing wrong with that, it just wasn't though super hero speed because of the rotary being OP.

The misconceptions about the Mazda are like the 2015 Nissan GT-R LM Nismo LMP1. It wasn't bad because it was front engined and partial front wheel drive like the regular Joe believe, it was bad because it was rushed out of the door 6 months too soon. The problems were with the lack of hybrid (missing 500bhp for 20 secs a lap) and the chassis needed redesigning (strength issues if I recall).

Last edited:
The Mazda 787B was a largely terrible Group C car and people tend to overlook its rather poor full competition history that wasn't at Le Mans
There is certainly a cult of personality around it for sure, but a lot of the misconception can't be helped when even actual automotive sites tote the "The FIA specifically banned the rotary engine after Mazda won" crap. Jalopnik is a dumpster fire of a site nowadays, but even considering that they still wrote an article that pushed that just a few months ago.

I know I posted here about loud exhausts before (a few years ago), but the new trend of having a burbling exhaust or loud pops and bangs should stop. At first when I experienced some of it from factory tuned cars, it was kind of fun. But much like regular loud exhausts, it is just noise pollution to others, but now louder and more abrupt. Especially when it comes to someone "tuning" their car JUST to have an exhaust that pops. I enjoy my GTI's DSG upshift farts, but that doesn't happen all that often and only when I'm pushing it hard. I know in the GTI community people ask about tuning their cars just to get a "burble" sound out of their exhaust.

Then there's people who want that sound on their older cars or something that never really had that sound from the factory. Driving back from NY on the highway and come across an E90 335i with one of these exhausts. You couldn't really hear anything except when they got off throttle and all it was was a loud BANG. Nothing...then BANG.

As with regular loud exhausts, I don't mind it if it sounds good. But if the sole purpose is just to have the "bang" sound, it's irritating and only makes people hate ICE cars more and more. Almost daily I hear someone on the road on throttle, then off, just to get that popping and banging sound.

Already bad enough with that story of people in Times Square panicking after a motorcycle misfired, but now these "tuners" are intentionally trying to "scare" or "anger" people. It just doesn't sound good.

My '67 was noisy, but that was the result of squeezing power out of an n/a four-pot rather than a desire for it to be noisy.

I can't comment on this impartially because the muffler detached on my (what is functionally a) Volkswagen GTi and I... just left it because it sounds cool.

Last edited:
I keep wondering what some people actually do to their cars to make them sound like they do. I know several old RWD Volvos around town that make an unbelievable amount of racket even on steady throttle during normal driving, meanwhile my own car doesn't have the rear muffler at all (a longish story involving rusted parts and scrapyard finds) and the exhaust note is slightly more bass oriented than the original but that's about it. The front muffler does very nearly nothing as it's of the free flowing type, I could probably drive it with no mufflers at all and it would just sound like a normal relatively large turbo engine - which it is. Yet people somehow manage to make these same cars into noise machines. :confused:

Last edited:
I know I posted here about loud exhausts before (a few years ago), but the new trend of having a burbling exhaust or loud pops and bangs should stop. At first when I experienced some of it from factory tuned cars, it was kind of fun. But much like regular loud exhausts, it is just noise pollution to others, but now louder and more abrupt. Especially when it comes to someone "tuning" their car JUST to have an exhaust that pops. I enjoy my GTI's DSG upshift farts, but that doesn't happen all that often and only when I'm pushing it hard. I know in the GTI community people ask about tuning their cars just to get a "burble" sound out of their exhaust.

Then there's people who want that sound on their older cars or something that never really had that sound from the factory. Driving back from NY on the highway and come across an E90 335i with one of these exhausts. You couldn't really hear anything except when they got off throttle and all it was was a loud BANG. Nothing...then BANG.

As with regular loud exhausts, I don't mind it if it sounds good. But if the sole purpose is just to have the "bang" sound, it's irritating and only makes people hate ICE cars more and more. Almost daily I hear someone on the road on throttle, then off, just to get that popping and banging sound.

There are so many people in my home town who drive around in cars with "pop and bang" maps set up just to make noise and when you're trying to work from home it is super irritating. If it's like that from the factory then fair enough but it rarely is. I do enjoy the guy I see drive past about 3 times a day in his Audi RS6 though, that thing sounds incredible

Last edited:
I like how those cars that pop and bang are almost always a Fiesta ST or a Focus ST/RS with fifteen52 wheels and Rokblockz mudflaps.

The guys round here who drive STs with pop and bang maps definitely can't afford fifteen52 wheels :lol:

I just remembered an opinion I have that probably fits this thread. This post I made in the facelift thread:

While I think both look fantastic, I personally prefer the facelifted Lamborghini Diablo over the first iteration.
Lamborghini_Diablo_1995_11_2db30da9c524740fd12a472e06e1dd7b.jpeg

01-1530022213446.jpg

Yeah, I imagine most people would disagree with me on the Diablo and I understand why. But my opinion still stands.

---
EDIT: I also didn't think the e60 BMW M5 looked ugly.
276505_bmwpressreleasem51_931946.jpg

Which by the current design language I've seen from BMW, it definitely looks quite harmless in comparison.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinions? I've got a few.

1. Most 1980-1990s Japanese cars look better standard than they do modified, and cars like the Z32-gen 300ZX, Skyline R32 GT-R, and Mazda RX-7 (FD3S) are the first cars I think of here.

2. The "Gulf" livery is extremely overused and honestly looks pretty mediocre, if not outright bad, on most modern cars. Not necessarily all of them, and a few do look good while sporting it (the McLaren P1 comes to mind, and now that I think about it, the 911 GT3-R GPX looks quite good in its colors), but definitely a good chunk of them. It looks best on a Mark I GT40 or a 917K.

3. Many Porsche purists I know seem to hate the Porsche 996, but I quite like it. The fried-egg headlights have actually grown on me, as time went on.

4. The hate for the Mark V Supra is way, way, WAY overblown. It's not THAT bad of a car. Hell, it's not really a "bad" car at all, but people throw it in the garbage without giving it a chance for not being a literal carbon-copy of the Mark IV. It's pretty sad, in hindsight. The older Supras had little to nothing to really call them comparable to one another, except being RWD, 2-door, Inline-6 Sports Coupes, and the Mark V ticks all of those boxes. Its B58 has even proven to handles 1,000+ HP, but nah, people still barely bat an eye. Whatever floats their boat, I guess.

Unpopular opinions? I've got a few.
I actually agree fullheartedly with the first three, and about the fourth, it's certainly not a bad car. It's just ugly as hell after an attempt to cram the FT-1 design language onto a chassis that is much shorter, taller, and all around just chubby compared to the original. In my opinion the LC500 should have been the base for the Mk V and what we got... should have remained as the BMW M2 that does the short and tall looks very much better.

I think the current Supra is a better successor than the current NSX. The Supra may be a BMW underneath but compare it to the Mark IV and you'll see a lot of similarities, more so compared to the NSX. The original NSX was a light, agile and comfortable sports car with the legendary Honda reliability and quality. The current one is big, bulky, heavy and too luxurious IMO - far detached from the philosophy of the original. It may have a mid-mounted V6 but that's the only similarity linking the two generations. The Supra on the other hand has a straight 6, rear wheel drive, a 2+2 seating arrangement and is a purebred sports car that's relatively affordable. It serves the same purpose as the Mark IV did, so I don't get the hate.

I'll just always be one of those people, but the main thing wrong about the A90 is its automatic transmission. I'm not one who associates the nameplate with the A80, for the record -- my favorite is the A60. Modern BMW being involved is not a good thing, but an outside company being involved does not bother me in and of itself.

The new NSX was less of a disappointment to me because Honda did what I expected them to do with it, like it or not -- and I think it turned out quite respectable and not so dissimilar from the original in its context. The A90's transmission was more of a surprise given the philosophy that went into the Toyobaru -- though it makes enough sense with modern BMW being involved, and CAFE remains a regrettable factor, perhaps having to do with the A90's additional output over the Toyobaru. I also think the A90 looks dumpy and it has not grown on me.

Last edited:
a 2+2 seating arrangement
2 seater.
It serves the same purpose as the Mark IV did, so I don't get the hate.
It really doesn't since it's a completely different type of car from all of the previous Supras, but regardless of that, it's a BMW. People wanted a Toyota. For all of the NSX's problems, at least it was developed by Honda (with all the things that entails with modern Honda vs late 80s Honda). For that matter , giving the Zupra a pass for the same kind of crap that the NSX has gotten since launch is very odd.The current Supra has so little Toyota involvement that the official model code uses a BMW model number. Whenever it's recalled, you've had to take it to BMW dealers.

Whether or not it's a great car (and the reviews following the debut have been much more mixed anyway, which suggests to me it was partially journalists trying to carpet bomb praise on it up front to offset the negative reception it was getting before release like had happened with the NSX) is somewhat immaterial to the people who wanted a shrunken LC500 or stretched BreezeFrees or anything that Toyota was actually involved with designing.

Last edited:
2 seater.

It really doesn't since it's a completely different type of car from all of the previous Supras, but regardless of that, it's a BMW. People wanted a Toyota. For all of the NSX's problems, at least it was developed by Honda (with all the things that entails with modern Honda vs late 80s Honda). For that matter , giving the Zupra a pass for the same kind of crap that the NSX has gotten since launch is very odd.The current Supra has so little Toyota involvement that the official model code uses a BMW model number. Whenever it's recalled, you've had to take it to BMW dealers.

Whether or not it's a great car (and the reviews following the debut have been much more mixed anyway, which suggests to me it was partially journalists trying to carpet bomb praise on it up front to offset the negative reception it was getting before release like had happened with the NSX) is somewhat immaterial to the people who wanted a shrunken LC500 or stretched BreezeFrees or anything that Toyota was actually involved with designing.
I think looking at the fact that Nissan's new Z won't come to Europe for emissions reasons, it becomes pretty plainly obvious why the A90 Supra has a European engine...

...But I guess that's too clean cut for the internet's well-established narrative it "hurr de durr, it's a bee emm double-yerr"

When it's subtle, the pops and bangs are quite nice, I think. But I've noticed a trend in pops and bangs so loud it sounds like gunshots. Happens from time to time in my area and it actually scares me while I trying to work it's so loud. I can't imagine it is legal, but considering the increase in street racing in my area, I think cops gave up during the pandemic trying to pull people over.

My car (a Fiesta ST... and no I do not have fifteen52 wheels and Rokblockz mudflaps 🤣 @Joey D. They are Rally Armor mud flaps thank you) does crackle and pop with just a cat-back exhaust (no tune) and, if downshifted just right, it does bang quite loud, but that's very rare and I know how to prevent it. I need my windows down to really hear anything, though. Still, I feel like an ass driving through quiet neighborhoods.

It really doesn't since it's a completely different type of car from all of the previous Supras, but regardless of that, it's a BMW. People wanted a Toyota.
And that makes all the difference? I don't understand because if Toyota did develop it, the result would probably be the same. Badge engineering or not, I think it's a proper successor. The fact that it's a BMW with different body panels doesn't upset me because the car has enough similarities with the old one.

I think looking at the fact that Nissan's new Z won't come to Europe for emissions reasons, it becomes pretty plainly obvious why the A90 Supra has a European engine...
Because Toyota, the most powerful company in the automotive space, wasn't able to make one?

When the main issue is people think Toyota was so indifferent to developing a successor to one of their most legendary nameplates that they put less work into it than companies like Qvale or Panoz do, I don't think pointing out that Toyota wanted some parts bin drivetrain that they could slap in it to sell a few thousand cars over the course of five years in Europe is the full throated defense you think it is.

But I guess that's too clean cut for the internet's well-established narrative it "hurr de durr, it's a bee emm double-yerr

Well, I mean. It still is, so...

I don't understand because if Toyota did develop it, the result would probably be the same. Badge engineering or not, I think it's a proper successor.
And in a couple years when sites like Jalopnik are writing glorified eulogy articles about how much people didn't like the car enough and were unfair to it, people are still going to mock Toyota for deciding they wanted to make a Supra but not actually have anything to do with making it. It will be no different from the situation is and has always been with the current NSX.

The fact that it's a BMW with different body panels doesn't upset me because the car has enough similarities with the old one.
It's hard to line this up with your earlier assertion that the NSX comparatively strayed too far from whatever it needed to be.

Last edited:
Because Toyota, the most powerful company in the automotive space, wasn't able to make one?
Because Toyota, the most powerful company in the automotive space, clearly came to the conclusion that it wasn't the best way forward. I'm hazarding a guess when I say that decision was the crux of the car coming to Europe, sure - but it is the decision they made and must have some reasoning behind it. To suggest they simply don't have the capability to make a sporty I6 that can pass EURO emissions regulations is somewhat infantile - clearly, on considering it, they came to the conclusion the BMW powerplant was the way to go.

That it so offends a particular breed of petrolhead is perhaps not the all-encompassing condemnation of A90 as a good car that people think it is?

I liked the new NSX, and it felt like a worthy successor to the nameplate to me, but they had a hard time selling that car. I like the look of the new Z, but it's not coming here and I think it's fair to point to emissions as the compromise there - they will certainly have a hard time selling it (in Europe) if it never comes here. I like A90, some people don't. I think it's a worthy successor to the nameplate, some people don't. I'm sure that's true of NSX and Z too - fact is it's here, it's in Europe, and it's by many accounts not bad at all. I think it will outlive this period of stomped feet from car nerds quite handily.

Back