Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
Super/Hypercars stopped being cool when you couldn't race them anymore.
I’m going to disagree personally. Unless you’re referring to really old road racing where the race cars were road cars, there are more supercars racing nowadays thanks to GT2/3/4/E than there ever have been before.

there are more supercars racing nowadays thanks to GT2/3/4/E than there ever have been before.
When I say super/hypercar, I'm leaning more towards the hypercar spectrum of things.

You could race an F40.
You could race a Mclaren F1.
You could almost race a Koenigsegg but the FIA stopped that from happening.

You cannot race a Vulcan, FXXK, 918, Senna, Huayra, Jesko, Bugatti, etc. You can make a boujee track day special, but you can't actually take them to any actual races.

I bet you all know that there's an unpopular opinions thread in the Motorsports and Rumble Strip forum, but none for the Cars in General section. So, I decided to make a thread for uncommon opinions about cars. Title says it all: post your opinions that you think are unpopular regarding all things automotive.

Here are a few of my own:

• Most modified cars today (especially the Japanese ones) are too low.
  • Compared to other engines, V8's aren't all that great.
  • Front-wheel drive isn't terrible in many cases.
  • Almost all current BMW M models and Mercedes AMG cars aren't that cool and lack the charm they had in the 80's and 90's.
  • The 90's was not the worst decade for cars.
  • If I had to choose between a 60's European sports car with 130 horsepower or a 60's American muscle car with three times that power, I'd easily go with the sports car.
The 60s American cars had their own charm. They handled like **** but are loud, stylish, and comfortable.

* cough cough * BMW iX * cough cough *
I don't even think the iX looks that bad. As far as modern BMWs go, I can't stand the Concept MX.
Hopefully the CCGT could find itself into Gran Turismo as a Gr.3 racer.
You cannot race a Vulcan, FXXK, 918, Senna, Huayra, Jesko, Bugatti, etc. You can make a boujee track day special, but you can't actually take them to any actual races.
Yeah, it's really too bad. Especially in Bugatti's case, where there's clearly a racing history, like with the Type 35. (Which is another car that I hope that comes to GT.) That's another thing I love about Gran Turismo, being able to race cars that never raced against each other.

Last edited:
When I say super/hypercar, I'm leaning more towards the hypercar spectrum of things.

You could race an F40.
You could race a Mclaren F1.

That's mostly due to cost and more series having BoP though, isn't it?

Super/Hypercars stopped being cool when you couldn't race them anymore.
I’d like to go one step further and say that they stopped being cool when horsepower became all that matters, with no consideration for weight, size and usability.

The McLaren F1, Ferrari F50 and Porsche Carrera GT were the last cool supercars in my opinion. That is until Gordon Murray announced the T.50, and recently the T.33. They’re both awesome.

I’d like to go one step further and say that they stopped being cool when horsepower became all that matters, with no consideration for weight, size and usability.

The McLaren F1, Ferrari F50 and Porsche Carrera GT were the last cool supercars in my opinion. That is until Gordon Murray announced the T.50, and recently the T.33. They’re both awesome.
I dunno, I feel that Lamborghinis are still more or less the same as back in the Diablo days, just faster. Then you got the Pagani Huayra that while not the most pretty, is rather light weight. On average though I do agree the bulk of super/hypercars are too fat and too power focused.
And then there is Koenigsegg doing crazy Swedish things with light weight and high horsepower lol...

Also the BAC Mono is my ideal supercar.

I'd go further still and say super and hyper cars stopped being cool (if they ever were) once they became easy to drive and cosseting to the occupants.

A tame supercar isn't cool. The Mclaren F1, F50/F40s and Carrera GT were neither particularly comfortable to 'daily' or easy to drive, slow or fast. They took a degree of commitment and compromise to ownership that only deep-pocketed enthusiasts would put up with.

I dunno, I feel that Lamborghinis are still more or less the same as back in the Diablo days, just faster. Then you got the Pagani Huayra that while not the most pretty, is rather light weight. On average though I do agree the bulk of super/hypercars are too fat and too power focused.
And then there is Koenigsegg doing crazy Swedish things with light weight and high horsepower lol...

Also the BAC Mono is my ideal supercar.
Well, I think Lamborghinis haven’t been cool since the Miura. :rolleyes:

I’ve never liked Koenigsegg, despite it being Swedish. Way too power-focused, purposeless and ugly.

I think the problem was when they became about setting laptimes and records -- they put one foot in becoming racecars, but are unable to commit to it because they can't be racecars. They became compromised half-racecars.

I think the problem was when they became about setting laptimes and records -- they put one foot in becoming racecars, but are unable to commit to it because they can't be racecars. They became compromised half-racecars.
Are you a member of James May "Bomb the Nurburgring Club" too?

Last edited:
As much as I want Mazda to succeed and do well amongst the Japanese brands, I just can't find myself to agree with most internet journalists praising the current generation of Mazdas as being great. Sure, they're underrated in the public eye and they are nice to drive, they're decent (I'm talking about their lineup other than the MX-5) however they don't stand out to me in dynamics. This all might just be my nostalgia for the quirky Mazda of the early 2000s, but they now feel like they're trying "too hard" to be premium.

Mazda's current interior design feels far too "form over function" with the layout and I don't see the appeal of it. Especially their infotainment system having a frustrating UX design and it doesn't feel "premium" like they're trying to be. Any time I hear journalists get questions from listeners/viewers/readers about what car to buy around $30k - $40k in the CUV or compact class, it's almost always the Mazda3 or CX-5. The Mazda3 hatch has terrible visibility with the large C-pillar and the CX-5/CX-9 are small for their class. As the name of this thread says, this is purely my opinion and I don't expect many to agree. It's just that (current) Mazda doesn't do anything for me.
dims

2019-mazda-mazda3_100727399_h.jpg

I will admit, the last Mazda I truly liked was the 2014 - 2021 Mazda6.

I have a 2011 Mazda6, but it isn't UGLY as sin
because it's a badge engineered Lincoln MKZ

I would also buy a newer Miata
but only with a Fiat 124 body on it

Last edited:
Something I have thought for a long, long time. Pretty much since day one.

Almost all convertibles look absolutely horrible. Almost all.

There are so few cars which suit the style and it's pretty much two-seater roadsters like an MG F or Mazda MX-5. Everything else is so fugly. Every time I see a convertible BMW, Audi, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Porsche, whatever, the convertible looks so ungainly.

There are so few cars which suit the style and it's pretty much two-seater roadsters like an MG F or Mazda MX-5
I was about to get the pitchfork out until I saw this.

Yeah, I agree. Only small coupes really mesh well with being convertibles. Convertible sedans, SUVs, etc. all compromise their original function for aesthetic.

I think that many convertible version are added too late in development. Many dont get considered from the get go. I think that 90s convertible versions of sedans were done better since back then they were probably good sellers and were considered sooner.

This happens in other shapes too. For example Renault 21 hatchback version was added in with facelift, because Renault failed to predict the success of shape and take a risk unlike Ford with Sierra, and looks a bit too frumpy. Added hatch part is a bit too curved comparing to estate and sedan which are very straight line themed. Ironically, Sierra sedan really fits to the theme. They probably planned it early and waited for enough demand, then simply put on a facelift together with hatchback and estate in a short time.

There are so few cars which suit the style and it's pretty much two-seater roadsters like an MG F or Mazda MX-5. Everything else is so fugly. Every time I see a convertible BMW, Audi, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Porsche, whatever, the convertible looks so ungainly.
Seen the Focus CC and Megane convertible? Things of bea..... yyyeeeaaahhh nah, ugly as sin!

The reason I bought this thing is because it looks SO MUCH better than the convertible:

20220208_084225.jpg

I personally feel something similar to the comments above, convertibles looking way better when designed that way from the start. When a convertible version of a 4-door car or a coupe is made, it always feels a bit like they spliced things together and is a bit offputting to look at.

With that said, I also like the reverse in terms of looks. Cars that started as convertibles, but later got coupe versions such as the BMW Z4 M Coupe above or these Mazda MX-5 Miata Coupe concepts.
1654723375256.png

1654723388074.png

I don't think I'd share the same level of dislike, but I agree coupes generally look a lot better.

I would say Ferrari is probably different for me, though. I think their Spiders/Apertas tend to look even better, due the flying buttresses (I believe that's they get called). The 812 GTS looks spectacular, & the SF90 Spider really cleans up that rear roof line w/ the weird, tiny window on the coupe.

I like it when different versions get different designs, like the Punto and Celica convertibles which probably are not best examples though. Not just sliced the roof off. But that isnt cheap for manafacturers obviously.

Back