Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
I think that's kind of the point of the locations, in both the UK and US versions. They're average and at best nondescript. You may have heard of those towns but most people, even those that live in the same country, would probably not be able to pin point them on a map. Average people working in average companies in average towns.
Scranton just sounds like the name of a town where a paper seller would be. Kind of like Peoria, IL or Dubuque, IA.

I have no idea what kind of towns Scranton or Stamford are either. I think Scranton is in California, but that's about it.

edit: or Pennsylvania? Yeah that won't really help in watch either version of the show.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: Alien 3 (Directors cut) is as good as the previous two movies, Alien and Aliens, its just the pacing, atmosphere, action and setting is so different that people fail to appreciate/understand it.

If it were discovered tomorrow, alcohol would be an illegal class-A drug.
Ech, disagree somewhat. Seems the implication here is humans haven't used other popular narcotics of the modern age since antiquity as with alcohol, which is demonstrably not true in cases ranging from psylocibin mushrooms to opium.

Previous attempts to control or prohibit alcohol serve as reminders that it's perhaps not the best idea to force alcohol into the same marketplace conditions as cocaine and heroin.

Ech, disagree somewhat. Seems the implication here is humans haven't used other popular narcotics of the modern age since antiquity as with alcohol, which is demonstrably not true in cases ranging from psylocibin mushrooms to opium.

Previous attempts to control or prohibit alcohol serve as reminders that it's perhaps not the best idea to force alcohol into the same marketplace conditions as cocaine and heroin.
Not really what I'm saying. I just think if alcohol had only just popped up, it would be looked at in the same light as cocaine and heroin etc as the effects are as severe and damaging. I don't think that it should be illegal though, in fact I think all drugs should be legalised, despite not being a fan of them myself.

If it were discovered tomorrow, alcohol would be an illegal class-A drug.
I don't disagree with this but this would only be true if there was something else already filling the void that alcohol currently does in our society. In an alternate timeline alcohol would be prohibited because something else already provides huge tax revenues.

If I was to add to this, I'd argue that cocaine would most probably breach that gap.

656355.jpg

Not really what I'm saying. I just think if alcohol had only just popped up, it would be looked at in the same light as cocaine and heroin etc as the effects are as severe and damaging. I don't think that it should be illegal though, in fact I think all drugs should be legalised, despite not being a fan of them myself.
(Can you tell, by the double quote, that I don't like the new GTP on mobile?)

Aaanyway...

Yeah, this is why I say "disagree somewhat" rather than outright. Obviously this is just a thought experiment. I just felt it worth noting that it'd be easy to take the implication from your post that other narcotics aren't as woven in to human society/don't have as long a history of usage as alcohol, which I'd think was incorrect.

As @Liquid alluded to, if the alcohol industry was not deeply entwined with huge amounts of tax revenue (not to mention industries peripheral to alcohol production/use, which we could list all day), there'd definitely be a much stronger case for its classification being the same as other heavily intoxicating narcotics.

Last edited:
I like to think it would be MDMA that would replace booze on a different timeline.
Pubs would be a different environment all together, and maybe the world would be a lot more peaceful.
I’m not sure if MDMA is additive like alcohol (I know a little something about that burp)
Also it requires modern chemical engineering Which wouldn’t have been available to our ancestors.

Imagine the world on recreational E, I think it would be a nicer place.

Alcohol would be more like weed, i think. It's more social than other drugs. You can sit around with friends smoking it, much like you would with booze in a bar/pub, like the weed cafes in Amsterdam. It's a social situation. Coke, heroin, MDMA, are all 'consumed' in an instant. The social side of them is in sharing the resulting experience, not the taking of them, like it is with booze and weed.

I personally refuse to smoke around other people, or even if I have to engage with other people after. Weed, when I smoke it on the rare occasion, is just for me to get lost in my own head. Reality might as well not exist as I pay it no attention.

I have no idea what kind of towns Scranton or Stamford are either. I think Scranton is in California, but that's about it.

edit: or Pennsylvania? Yeah that won't really help in watch either version of the show.
Scranton: really hilly, sort of billy. Kind of anonymous.

Stamford is a little more gentrified but lives in the shadow of New York City.

These are the kinds of places I travel for work...it can't all be Pine Bluff and Brainerd, you know!

I don't care to watch most sports. American Football, World Football/Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Tennis and especially Golf. Golf really bores me.
I don't fully understand golf as televised activity. That said, I do enjoy the camaraderie of golfing.

I don't fully understand golf as televised activity. That said, I do enjoy the camaraderie of golfing.
Or paying huge sums of money to attend a golf tournament.

I was always shocked television companies would take on the big task of televising golf. The logistics of doing so dwarfs all other sports. Probably televising a rally event is similar in the amount of resources to produce.

Or paying huge sums of money to attend a golf tournament.
That's easier to understand. Plenty of people find the prospect of being seen appealing, particularly when they're likely to be seen with plenty of other people who find the prospect of being seen appealing. It's not about where you are but whom you're with.

Some people refer to this as "pageantry." I tend to laugh at those people.

I watch golf because I enjoy seeing the technical abilities of the pros. Some of those difficult shots are impressive when they absolutely nail it. With that said, I don't really watch it outside Sunday afternoon though and typically only some of the biggest tournaments (Masters, PGA, the Open).

A lot of sports can be dumbed down by people who aren't interested. A lot of friends of mine treat motorsport as just cars going in circles, and I have a similar dumb down perspective with Rugby

Last edited:
A lot of sports can be dumbed down by people who aren't interested. A lit of friends if mine treat motorsport as just cars going in circles, and I have a similar dumb down perspective with Rugby
Rugby is for boofheads. But of course I'd say that because I live in Victoria.

Cold showers are better than hot showers.

I always shower cold for that reason.
I have a warm/hot shower in the morning to wash, but I am currently also having a cool-down shower when I get home from work/walking in the late afternoon, which feels amazing. That said, I always start with the water warm and then gradually reduce it until the water is barely warm. It's incredibly refreshing and avoids that nasty cold water shock feeling.

Having watched it again last night, Stardust is a superior family fantasy adventure movie to The Princess Bride.

In terms of party/multiplayer focused games. I think CTR:NF completely fails.

I love CTR:NF. Track design is great, roster is amazing and vast, and playing through the tracks perfectly is really satisfying.

But its really difficult to get non-fans together for fun games. Issue is the game doesn't give any hints whatsoever to master the mechanics. It doesn't tell you that not all Speed Panels were worth the same and you can keep the speed it produces by constantly boosting on top of that. It doesn't tell you you can brake in midair for really sharp turns without losing your boost.

Its not like you don't need to know these. All it takes is for one person to finally understand it to completely kill this games potential as a party activity. The difference between someone who knows and someone who doesn't know is astonishing. This thick barrier is absurd on tracks where max speed panels are available. I'm the only one of my friends who can do these stuff and now no one wants to play this game anymore because why go through the barrier for a party game when we can just play Mario Kart or Team Sonic Racing where the barrier is MUCH lower.

The tried fixing it by buffing the Blue shell like item to go at lightning speed to first place but that doesn't seem enough.

Now I think a difficult and hard party game is possible but people need to know what they are supposed to be doing. It's no wonder the game online died on Switch and possibly Xbox

Last edited:
Back