Update 1.06 Discussion

• Thread starter Vagabond
  • 433 comments
GT POLARIZED 005-P paint chip has changed..
if you have any car painted with it before 1.06 , compare it to a new one you'll see the difference its not subtle

Since 1.06 I've noticed lock ups and freezes when entering seasonals, exiting seasonals and exiting to the main menu after driving. By signing out of PSN everything started to work normally, but I haven't had to do this since GT5 pre spec 2.0.

Also out of interest is there any technically minded person who could explain why smoke and dust is now pixellated and could it be a negative consequence of 3D support?

I don't know if I can answer you the way you would expect, but I've been trying the 3D option of the game lately, and I haven't seen any pixellated smoke or dust. What I did see was that the 3D effect isn't the same as in GT5, I believe that was a bit, just slighty, better.
Now, when I remove the 3D glasses, the "effect" on the screen is different than GT5 again. In GT5 there was the classic blurred 3D image, and in GT6 there are some big pixellated images all around. It's really really weird.

That's about what I hear too, most people are fine on the track, a few others have that same issue with sound. For me it's so bad lately, if I'm in a room and it goes to Bathurst I just leave because I know it's going to happen. It was intermittent before, now it's every time. Like you said, I love this track as well, but I can only run it solo while testing in my own lobby. The sound is only slightly wonky then.
Sounds like a buffer issue, perhaps there's too much competition for / the scheduling is too tight on the SPUs in your case. It doesn't make sense that it would vary from case to case, though. I've never had anything like that in any GT game, but have heard it in plenty of PC games (it's that age old issue of tying the sound engine tick rate to the framerate and then getting sub 30Hz framerates).

Since Bathurst is graphically intensive (many people report frame stuttering, indicating slowdown), I'm inclined to believe that changing the graphics load might have an effect here. I'd try switching display resolution and seeing if it gets worse / better.

Sounds like a buffer issue, perhaps there's too much competition for / the scheduling is too tight on the SPUs in your case. It doesn't make sense that it would vary from case to case, though. I've never had anything like that in any GT game, but have heard it in plenty of PC games (it's that age old issue of tying the sound engine tick rate to the framerate and then getting sub 30Hz framerates).

Since Bathurst is graphically intensive (many people report frame stuttering, indicating slowdown), I'm inclined to believe that changing the graphics load might have an effect here. I'd try switching display resolution and seeing if it gets worse / better.
I did change the sound settings from (I think) 48Hz to the other, multiple setting but I've yet to run a race online at Bathurst so I can't tell if it's made any difference yet. I don't want to change the display resolution though just for one track:(

I did change the sound settings from (I think) 48Hz to the other, multiple setting but I've yet to run a race online at Bathurst so I can't tell if it's made any difference yet. I don't want to change the display resolution though just for one track:(
Sure, and you should test it separately from that sound option anyway, so we know what did what, if anything!
I'm half-expecting it to make no difference, anyway, but you never know.

I'm hoping that my Spec-II theory is right, in which case the load balancing will be more stable / better tested and all these little niggles will disappear.

The Bathurst sounds for me are still cutting in and out, and sometimes cuts out entirely. Also, Nurb 24hr still has no tire smoke, sand or grass kicking up. Oh yea, on some tracks, after contact with a wall/car etc., the contact sound disappears.

Last edited:
I don't know if I can answer you the way you would expect, but I've been trying the 3D option of the game lately, and I haven't seen any pixellated smoke or dust. What I did see was that the 3D effect isn't the same as in GT5, I believe that was a bit, just slighty, better.
Now, when I remove the 3D glasses, the "effect" on the screen is different than GT5 again. In GT5 there was the classic blurred 3D image, and in GT6 there are some big pixellated images all around. It's really really weird.

Thanks for that. While far from conclusive, it's interesting that smoke is pixellated in 2D mode and 3D mode relies on pixellated images to function.
I suspect PD has accidentally set 2D mode to work as half of the 3D image rather than the stand alone mode feature.
It would also explain the white/grey bar some users have been seeing on the side of the screen (presuming 3D relies on two slightly shifted images to work)

In what sense? They all use the existing game, with existing cars on (mostly) existing tracks in time trials set up in the exact same way as the licence tests. Everything they need to create the events are already in the game.

New track, yes that would take up the time of the 3D modellers. Nobody else.

Didn't last years GT Academy use the GT6 engine and Silverstone track (which wasn't in GT5)?

Ok so i started up the PS3 yesterday to update the system (unused for months) and my games, and started to fool around with the custom spoiler and all. But when i got to the races, i'm experiencing alot of flickering in the backgrounds and occasionally in the foreground. Didn't notice those previously. Is it just me?

Every time I come in here I hear of all these crazy issues people are having. I feel sorry for those experiencing these issues. I barely have issues at all, last time I had a lock up was a random GT6 boot up fail, that was a couple of months ago I think. Since then I have no issues at all, the pixelated smoke thing I see is that when the smoke is under my cr it looks like there is less horizontal resolution but above the car and everywhere else it looks like it has since GT6 launched. I haven't crashed of seen anything odd that wasn't really there since the beginning.
System configuration is probably the biggest reason for different issues that aren't affecting everyone on a consistent basis. I do know that GT6 accesses the file system often which can lead to corrupt files. I've heard about spu's going bad and an extra spu in case one fails. Perhaps once GT5 online is shut down, not sure why they need to do that but perhaps PD can focus on GT6 and get the DLC release on a roll.

Still odd is the fact that no matter the iteration of Nurburgring or time of day, head lamps are always on. Also the sun light spread at Nurburgring is odd as it's kind of shaded looking even when the sun is at it's highest point. Are they also including the solstices meaning the sun is lower around winter time based on location? Hell if I know, it's just dark, by summer I'll see if anything changes regarding that.

I have experienced the sound drop out, happened in race using the X Junior my usually noisy car went electric on me and I was on Rome as well. Weird to hear as I haven't had a sound drop out since update 1.05 I think it was. My BGM works flawlessly since 1.05 as well. Only thing changed by 1.06 so far are paints in general, every paint has changed they are visually cleaner and nicer to view. The smoke in slightly less refined but nothing like those photos I saw in here, sorry you guys have to watch that. Perhaps you should try sharpen, I have my video output set to that and only Bathurst has weird popping shadows in replay and random choppiness at the downhill corkscrew(doesn't happen all the time).

Do you know something Polyphony doesn't?
I think he's pointing out a pattern in PD's choice of GTA tracks.
Seems they like to run the academy on tracks new to the game in order to even out the playing field for everyone. We all start on a brand new track and those who can adapt the fastest, SHOULD move on further in in the competition.

I think he's pointing out a pattern in PD's choice of GTA tracks.
Seems they like to run the academy on tracks new to the game in order to even out the playing field for everyone. We all start on a brand new track and those who can adapt the fastest, SHOULD move on further in in the competition.

Very interesting point.

2010 GT Academy Demo: Indianapolis (Ends up in GT5)
2012 GT Academy Demo: Twin Ring Motegi (Later available via DLC in GT5)
2013 GT Academy Demo: Silverstone (Ends up in GT6)

So following that pattern, we'll likely get a new DLC track for GT6.

Last edited:
Very interesting point.

2009 GT Academy Demo: Indianapolis (Ends up in GT5)
2012 GT Academy Demo: Twin Ring Motegi (Later available via DLC in GT5)
2013 GT Academy Demo: Silverstone (Ends up in GT6)

So following that pattern, we'll likely get a new DLC track for GT6.
2010 and 2011 seem to missing from that pattern.

2010 and 2011 seem to missing from that pattern.

Looking again, I made a mistake as its the 2010 Demo (it was up though in December 2009). Admittingly, I may have misintepreted that but seeing as 2011 was a GT5 Seasonal on a course maker track and the rest have been on tracks not in the current release until DLC or the next game, Its quite likely we're going to get a new track for the 2014 time trials not currently included, which is ultimately the point being made.

Still odd is the fact that no matter the iteration of Nurburgring or time of day, head lamps are always on.
Why is that odd ?
On the ring it is compulsory to drive with head lights on, always...
On the other hand it is odd that the head lights of the AI do not light up the track, whether they're in front or behind you...

Last edited:
Still odd is the fact that no matter the iteration of Nurburgring or time of day, head lamps are always on.
As stated above, you MUST drive with headlights on, on the Nurb. I think the fact that they added this is extremely realistic compared to other games.

On the other hand it is odd that the head lights of the AI do not light up the track, whether they're in front or behind you...
Most likely due to the lighting system and how old the PS3 is...

Looking again, I made a mistake as its the 2010 Demo (it was up though in December 2009). Admittingly, I may have misintepreted that but seeing as 2011 was a GT5 Seasonal on a course maker track and the rest have been on tracks not in the current release until DLC or the next game, Its quite likely we're going to get a new track for the 2014 time trials not currently included, which is ultimately the point being made.

I agree it's quite likely, I was just being my usual anal self in pointing out it can't be a pattern if you miss out data. ;)

Back