Update 1.12 Car Sound Profile Rebalanced Discussion

^^ Agreed,
Actually providing some decent feedback on a change made and the nuances that make it better or worse,

As opposed to the usual way of running in circles shouting how useless PD are and that they need to re-invent teh wheel to make us happy....

Or maybe the feedback gained from tweaks done here can be used moving forward perhaps?
Assuming it's relevant and usable. ;)
And I mean that more in the sense of the technology.

I'm sure we might get another option or two for dynamic range or adaptive mixing on the new console as a result, something like that.

Last night I switched from my PC speaker system (decent 2-channel amp and 6" Denon bookshelf speakers) TO a set of headphones (Denon.)
The sound is far better when using the headphones.
It's easier to pick up where cars behind you are, easier to hear individual tyres locking, etc

While my main HT setup has Audyssey room equalisation,
I doubt whether most peoples PS rig does.
Plus with the head-phones I can have the volume up much louder without annoying the wife
I mentioned the headphones in the OP because I've used my surround system for all gaming for the past few years but recently had to switch to headphones because my Dad is here recovering from back surgery and I don't want to disturb him. I wasn't prepared for the switch so I have an older pair of headphones and I'm not used to listening to the sound through them and so I wouldn't notice any differences positive or negative because I've only listened to the game through my surround since GT5.

It's wheel hop, when I first sank my teeth into Sierra I was driving my my GT3 tuned C7 and as I was turning one of the few slow to medium corners I heard my tired chirping as I was slightly over driving. So I watched the replay and lo and behold the camera view was in an ideal position and gave me a nice view of my inside right rear tire bumping up and down rapidly due to bumps and me riding on the edge of grip. I should have saved that but I can probably do it again as I love sport hard tires and the new course. I think there was even more visual acuity added to suspension movement as my cars on street tires do not run ridiculously high spring rates, there are about 5-8% stiffer than stock in my tunes.

Oh sweet! Great to have some validation on that.

Well I just happen to have a clear indicator. I have the sub on my hometheater set as "auto', so it turns on when there's a signal.playing GT6 it now won't even turn on. And I drove with C7 and SRT viper, so there should be plenty of bass. Not even crashing a wall will turn the sub on. Something horribly wrong eighter in the samples or in the audio output/mix of the game. Sound might be a bit more clear now, but more low frequencies - no.

Just for a reference. Unsurprisingly the sub won't hesitate when I start Forza 4.. (yes - I still experimenting on the dark side :guilty:)

I suggest you check your in-game settings.
the sound tweak may have reset your default back to TV (2ch stereo output)

HT systems switch them ON when the incoming signal to the amp has an LFE channel or appropriate content (amp/ source dependent)

otherwise the sub would be switching constantly..

I suggest you check your in-game settings.
the sound tweak may have reset your default back to TV (2ch stereo output)

HT systems switch them ON when the incoming signal to the amp has an LFE channel or appropriate content (amp/ source dependent)

otherwise the sub would be switching constantly..
Yeah, this. Double-check settings first. GT6 definitely outputs the ".1" if you let it.

I know that sound is louder because my music in background is very quiet and I didn't change sound volume in options... Mu setting is same as before update... Music in race 100, engine sound and game effect on 65...

Last edited:
and in the meantime, the Mazda 787B mod is coming to Assetto Corsa with this video teaser

Why exactly is that relevant to a discussion about rebalanced Sound Profiles and not the actual car samples?

I get that you're frustraited with GT's sounds, but you don't seem to really be contributing to the discussion with a post like that.

and in the meantime, the Mazda 787B mod is coming to Assetto Corsa with this video teaser: with one of the best sound modder/engineer available (El Mariachi99).... Awesome!!! (and why I play more AC today than GT.... Just can't stand the GT sound anymore)

But the GT sound is similiar to the Assetto Corsa's sound.

and in the meantime, the Mazda 787B mod is coming to Assetto Corsa with this video teaser: with one of the best sound modder/engineer available (El Mariachi99).... Awesome!!! (and why I play more AC today than GT.... Just can't stand the GT sound anymore)

In 2014 we have a game that don't have modelated hands and sound is similar. So i prefer GT where my driver have hands. :P And this post don't have nothing with GT sound change. ;)

In 2014 we have a game that don't have modelated hands and sound is similar. So i prefer GT where my driver have hands. :P And this post don't have nothing with GT sound change. ;)
I believe the hands and the wheel itself can be toggled on or off in Assetto Corsa so you aren't stuck with one single option like in GT...FYI. I toggle both of them off and the position of my wheel takes the place of the wheel on the screen. And the sound in GT is not anywhere close to Assetto Corsa....just sayin'.

Neither does this jab (which isn't really helping). You're also saying that about a PC sim, which has adjustability a console sim does not.

Now can we please drop this and get back on topic? I don't mean to be a mini-mod but we get enough of these already as it is.

Is it just me, or does it sound A LOT like the Formula Gran Turismo? :lol:

Anyway, back on topic, I experienced the sound bug on SSR7 last night, couldn't hear the engine, tires, or wind noise, but I could hear the exhaust backfire and it sounds real nice. I could also hear the horn and all the other cars around me.

Last night I switched from my PC speaker system (decent 2-channel amp and 6" Denon bookshelf speakers) TO a set of headphones (Denon.)
The sound is far better when using the headphones.
It's easier to pick up where cars behind you are, easier to hear individual tyres locking, etc

While my main HT setup has Audyssey room equalisation,
I doubt whether most peoples PS rig does.
Plus with the head-phones I can have the volume up much louder without annoying the wife

Alesis M1active monitors + sub sounds better than my headphones (HD25-1-II)
Plus I can have the volume loud enough to annoy the neighbors wife.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

On the other hand, this might have been "the update" for GT6 (which was only implied by omission, remember).

The changes required, and the changes I believe PD are working on, are far more fundamental than such subtle fine-tuning - any wide-sweeping changes will render that fine tuning effectively null.

Still, we can hope, but I'm not expecting anything special until GT7 is being paraded around.

I'm pretty sure this is what they're doing for GT6 and not much more. (additional tweaks should be expected, but nothing of more magnitude than this.) They want to improve GT6 sounds with what they already have, without replacing and reworking everything from the ground up. That will be done by the engineers they are currently seeking for their open positions ;)

I believe that they made these specific changes, as noted in my first post, because of a letter I happened to know the right channels to go through to get it to someone at SONY. I let them know there was a missed opportunity here to make people more happy, without waiting until GT7 for a big "sound update". Because the changes they've apparently made are so close to what I suggested, and the timing is correct, I think I can personally take some credit for it. Not that it matters... (the guy I passed my comments to had previously met Kaz a few times and sent me a signed picture of Mr. Yamauchi a few years back...)

Well I just happen to have a clear indicator. I have the sub on my hometheater set as "auto', so it turns on when there's a signal.playing GT6 it now won't even turn on. And I drove with C7 and SRT viper, so there should be plenty of bass. Not even crashing a wall will turn the sub on. Something horribly wrong eighter in the samples or in the audio output/mix of the game. Sound might be a bit more clear now, but more low frequencies - no.

Just for a reference. Unsurprisingly the sub won't hesitate when I start Forza 4.. (yes - I still experimenting on the dark side :guilty:)

You have something wrong with your equipment then... most subs have a standby feature (that's what it's called) and mine turns on just fine. Always has.

GT6 has neat little feature in sound options that shows you exactly what is being out put to your sound system, so if it's set to give you 5.1 or 7. sound then you will get your sub. Thing is if the sub works with Forza and not GT6 then you need to check your overall system sound output and ensure that you are sampling at the correct rate 48kHz is usually perfect LCPCM direct to your system out of your PS3. You should have the usual suspects of greyed out settings that are on no matter what then you add the ones that your system supports and you want DD, DTS or simply just go with LCPCM 5.1 48kHz or 7.1 at 48kHz only select higher if your sound system supports it PS3 does the does the decoding I believe internally. If the sub works using any other kind of input then your setup on your PS3 is probably the cause, but even then you should still get bass through regular speakers. Also if your PS3 setting aren't setup manually is it set to output stereo sound and you can change the sound fields manually which should activate the sub. So I think your output set up is the reason your sub isn't activating.

Back