Update 1.16 FFB is not the same as pre-Update 1.15 FFB

Australia
Australia
Im on a TGT and the FFB lacks directness with this current current update. I don't believe it's the same FFB as 1.13 as polyphony implies in the patch notes at all.

Surely Im not smoking crack here? Has anyone else noticed this?

What's "directness"?

On GT DD Pro 1.16 feels like 1.15 in comp mode and 1.13 in native mode. Like **** in other words. 1.15 native was good.
This is always a tricky conversation because we are describing a physical feeling using text but here goes...

How I would describe "Directness" is the feeling that your DD pro gives you that a G29 does not

Its the feeling that you can identify the exact amount of force coming off the wheel that tells you that you're giving the right amount of input without overly relying on the visuals. Some people call it "detail"

At the moment the T-GT on GT7 feels like a G29 on GT Sport. It just feels dull and heavier than 1.15.

Last edited:
I feel like the CSL Elite has improved since update 1.16 but I can't be sure. It hadn't been effected by 1.15, supposedly, but I strongly think I can feel more detail now.

Last edited:
theres something wrong with g923...throttle just bounce from 85% to 100% when gas pedal is pressed full...has anybody noticed that?
I dont have same problem in other games...
I tripple checked on g hub...pedals work fine...but in gt7 game...wtf?

This is always a tricky conversation because we are describing a physical feeling using text but here goes...

How I would describe "Directness" is the feeling that your DD pro gives you that a G29 does not

Its the feeling that you can identify the exact amount of force coming off the wheel that tells you that you're giving the right amount of input without overly relying on the visuals. Some people call it "detail"

At the moment the T-GT on GT7 feels like a G29 on GT Sport. It just feels dull and heavier than 1.15.

Good to hear they haven't only sabotaged Fanatec DD.

And by the way, I'd much prefer a G29 with good FFB from the game than the world's best DD wheel with what we currently have in GT7. I'm actually not playing it until it's fixed, if they even consider there's something that needs fixing. Otherwise, I see no reason to keep the PS5 either.

The G29 does FFB passing over the kerbs very clearly in GT Sport. Hit the same kerbs on the same track in GT7 and I just hear the noise but feel no FFB.

People always talk about curbs. You should also feel small bumps as well as weight shift, traction difference and difference in self-alignment torque when adjusting brake/throttle mid corner. If you can't, FFB is ****/clipping.
With 1.15 this could be felt. Now, it's all gone, as it was pre 1.15.

You should also feel small bumps as well as weight shift, traction difference and difference in self-alignment torque when adjusting brake/throttle mid corner.

With 1.15 this could be felt. Now, it's all gone, as it was pre 1.15.
You do not talk about the G29 here I suppose?

You do not talk about the G29 here I suppose?

Really, it doesn't matter. I got a DD 8 Nm now but I've had G29. Both are good enough for these elementary FFB signals to be felt. Sure, DD is much smoother and stronger, can have more detail, and has a luxury feeling to it. You can also attach different rims. But, I see no reason why you shouldn't have nor demand proper FFB with a G29. We're not even talking slight detail from road surface, but how shifting/braking/accelerating affects balance and traction in corners - if you don't feel that, you're driving by visual cues or by memory (both suck for me). The FFB strength (heavy/light) should clearly be aligned with the physics engine, so you feel the wheel going back and forth over the entire dynamic range of heaviness/lightness while cornering, depending on the surface and your inputs - not just a heavy and dull spring effect.

I'd much rather have a G29 in RaceRoom than a Fanatec DD Podium whatever in GT7 on a PS5. When that crap is clipping in corners, it doesn't matter what wheel you're on, the FFB is dead. I hope Fanatec is putting as much pressure as possible on PD because this has to be affecting their sales. I got the GT DD variant but actually regret it in the current state and would never recommend it.

Dead/numb/clipping FFB is probably also the reason why a lot of people are spinning out by surprise. In a corner it's heavy... heavy... car is spinning and it's still heavy... Then, when all traction is gone and it stops clipping, it goes lighter. Good luck saving that - you're already off.
Sure, practice hours each day and you don't even need FFB, as many streamers do. But one should be able to jump into it a couple of hours a week and drive by feel and intuition.

Last edited:
We agree that it should all be felt. But in GT7 it was never like that with a G29 as far as I can recall, also not before 1.15.

If it was, I'd be gratefull when other members would correct me.

Last edited:
We agree that it should all be felt. But in GT7 it was never like that with a G29 as far as I can recall, also not before 1.15.

If it was, I'd be gratefull when other members would correct me.

In 1.15 it could be felt with Fanatec DD. I don't know if it was by intent or accident. However, with slower cars the FFB in general was too weak, so many complained and it was reverted. There also must've been some bug for many since people were saying that the FFB had disappeared.

Let's hope it was by intent and that it's returning soon in a better form, where the FFB isn't clipping and where the strength is satisfactory across all cars and wheels.

Ok, so I was gone for five days and got back on to race today (Fanattec DD Pro). The FFB feels totally different now. I had turned everything up after the 1.15 update softened FFB, but now I’m getting a crazy death-wobble with everything I’m trying to drive. This is MUCH different than it was last Wednesday. Did something happen when I was gone?

Edit: why yes, 1.16 happened while I was gone, and with it the regression of FFB to 1.13. I’m having a hard time understanding how PD can justify paying any of its developers at this point. Not only are they not improving, they’re regressing to previous broken models. It’s so unprofessional.

Last edited:
HI. I have a G923 and it's working quite better than pre update tbh. It has somewhat less clipping.
I have it on 5 / 7 and 130 rumble intensity and it feels quite alive.
Tested back to back on ACC Ps5 (Spa) and while ACC FFB is better I must say that I feel quite impressed with the FFB on GT atm...

Im on a TGT and the FFB lacks directness with this current current update. I don't believe it's the same FFB as 1.13 as polyphony implies in the patch notes at all.

Surely Im not smoking crack here? Has anyone else noticed this?
It's not the same as it was, whatever PD say. It might have the same force as 1.13 did but we don't feel bumps and kerbs like we used to. Have a friend who uses a T-500 and he said the same, I'd actually argue we feel the kerbs now even less than in 1.15 (but that might just be my mind playing tricks on me!)

I loved how the game felt on day one, now it's just really dull

HI. I have a G923 and it's working quite better than pre update tbh. It has somewhat less clipping.
I have it on 5 / 7 and 130 rumble intensity and it feels quite alive.
Tested back to back on ACC Ps5 (Spa) and while ACC FFB is better I must say that I feel quite impressed with the FFB on GT atm...
Also using a G923, and there's a fair amount of detail. I run it at 4/1 and vibration at 100, and while the wheel is very light for the most part, I can feel bumps in the track, kerb vibration, and grip loss. Not sure about weight transfer. It doesn't feel any different to me than it has from day one, though. Overall I actually prefer it to ACC's default settings on PS5; it's less noisy.

I just want to echo @HugoTwoWheels sentiments about GT7’s FFB implementation. There is without a doubt software clipping occurring within the physics FFB calculations. The fact that v1.15 improved the dynamic range feedback seems to have occurred purely by accident.

It appears PD use a combination of physics based FFB (eg tyre cornering loads) and ‘canned’ effects (eg understeer judder) that are calculated based on simpler conditional parameters (like speed vs steering angle vs vehicle trajectory etc) and combined with the physics FFB data to form the final output signal that’s sent to the wheel via the single “Force” output channel.

The following is a simplified example for illustration purposes only. The actual values and scaling is not based on any recorded data from GT7 itself, but rather a visual representation to assist with describing the software clipping theory.

01.png

Above is a basic example of physics based FFB steering loads, combined with other FFB canned effects to calculate the final full FFB signal. This signal can be scaled to achieve varying levels of maximum torque or weight to the users preference. All of the information received from the physics based tyre load is used and accounted for within the final full FFB output.

02.png

This example illustrates where I suspect the heart of the issue lies. For whatever reason, physics-based loads are seemingly subjected to some sort of soft limit, with any force values exceeding this limit being capped at this maximum.

This soft limit seems to be achieved remarkably quickly in GT7. It’s reasonably easy to perform a practical demonstration using a stiffly sprung car. Take Grp.4 GTR out on a track with long corners like Yamagiwa (Kyoto Driving Park). Gather some speed and gently weave the car left and right to feel the tyres and steering start to load up. You should notice the load increase with more aggressive weaving, and even feel some bumps and texture of the road surface through the wheel. But at some point, (and very early on) you will generate enough lateral load to hit a soft limit for the FFB to stop increasing in load. Winding in more lock or load won’t make any difference to the amount of feedback. You’ll just feel a single constant force that doesn’t change. The road bumps and texture you could previously feel at lower lateral loads now disappear completely, as you’re already exceeding the maximum soft limit load permitted by the FFB code.

However, canned effects such as the understeer effect do still activate, suggesting they’re not subjected to the same soft limit.

03.png

I suspect that the temporary measure introduced by PD scaled the physics based FFB calculation to prevent the aggressive oscillation seen on a handful of extreme cars which inadvertently (at least somewhat) dropped the signal below the soft limit clipping bug. This resulted in a final FFB output signal that utilised all (or at least more) of the dynamic range available from the physics based FFB signal resulting in a more complete (albeit significantly weaker overall) FFB signal.

04.png

The final complete FFB signal is scaled using the game’s max. torque setting (1 – 10) at the user’s preference. Due to the temporary scaling ine V1.15 of the physics based FFB, the end result was much lower overall FFB values across the board. The weaker signal could be scaled up using max. torque 10 in game, but this was still only achieving similar loads to max. setting 3 in v1.13 and v1.16.

It also seemed that canned effects such as the understeer judder became more aggressive too, probably due to the fact they were effectively scaled up to 10, while the physics based were still operating at level 3 strength. I suspect individual vehicle parameters such as damper values are also included as “other” effects and therefore also unaffected by the measures introduced by PD, meaning they too were effectively scaled up to 10. This would’ve increased the weight of the wheel relatively to the feedback generated by lateral physics-based loads, which would explain why many people found reducing the additional Fanatec filters such as damper and natural friction to be favourable with v1.15.

I could be completely off the mark with the methodology of how PD have implemented FFB but I’m not sure how else to explain the FFB saga. The soft limit may even be deliberate and simply a poorly conceived fail-safe against excessive FFB.

At any rate, there’s no doubt soft clipping is happening and we’re completely at the mercy of PD to fix it.

MGR
I just want to echo @HugoTwoWheels sentiments about GT7’s FFB implementation. There is without a doubt software clipping occurring within the physics FFB calculations. The fact that v1.15 improved the dynamic range feedback seems to have occurred purely by accident.

It appears PD use a combination of physics based FFB (eg tyre cornering loads) and ‘canned’ effects (eg understeer judder) that are calculated based on simpler conditional parameters (like speed vs steering angle vs vehicle trajectory etc) and combined with the physics FFB data to form the final output signal that’s sent to the wheel via the single “Force” output channel.

The following is a simplified example for illustration purposes only. The actual values and scaling is not based on any recorded data from GT7 itself, but rather a visual representation to assist with describing the software clipping theory.

View attachment 1161169

Above is a basic example of physics based FFB steering loads, combined with other FFB canned effects to calculate the final full FFB signal. This signal can be scaled to achieve varying levels of maximum torque or weight to the users preference. All of the information received from the physics based tyre load is used and accounted for within the final full FFB output.

View attachment 1161170

This example illustrates where I suspect the heart of the issue lies. For whatever reason, physics-based loads are seemingly subjected to some sort of soft limit, with any force values exceeding this limit being capped at this maximum.

This soft limit seems to be achieved remarkably quickly in GT7. It’s reasonably easy to perform a practical demonstration using a stiffly sprung car. Take Grp.4 GTR out on a track with long corners like Yamagiwa (Kyoto Driving Park). Gather some speed and gently weave the car left and right to feel the tyres and steering start to load up. You should notice the load increase with more aggressive weaving, and even feel some bumps and texture of the road surface through the wheel. But at some point, (and very early on) you will generate enough lateral load to hit a soft limit for the FFB to stop increasing in load. Winding in more lock or load won’t make any difference to the amount of feedback. You’ll just feel a single constant force that doesn’t change. The road bumps and texture you could previously feel at lower lateral loads now disappear completely, as you’re already exceeding the maximum soft limit load permitted by the FFB code.

However, canned effects such as the understeer effect do still activate, suggesting they’re not subjected to the same soft limit.

View attachment 1161171

I suspect that the temporary measure introduced by PD scaled the physics based FFB calculation to prevent the aggressive oscillation seen on a handful of extreme cars which inadvertently (at least somewhat) dropped the signal below the soft limit clipping bug. This resulted in a final FFB output signal that utilised all (or at least more) of the dynamic range available from the physics based FFB signal resulting in a more complete (albeit significantly weaker overall) FFB signal.

View attachment 1161172

The final complete FFB signal is scaled using the game’s max. torque setting (1 – 10) at the user’s preference. Due to the temporary scaling ine V1.15 of the physics based FFB, the end result was much lower overall FFB values across the board. The weaker signal could be scaled up using max. torque 10 in game, but this was still only achieving similar loads to max. setting 3 in v1.13 and v1.16.

It also seemed that canned effects such as the understeer judder became more aggressive too, probably due to the fact they were effectively scaled up to 10, while the physics based were still operating at level 3 strength. I suspect individual vehicle parameters such as damper values are also included as “other” effects and therefore also unaffected by the measures introduced by PD, meaning they too were effectively scaled up to 10. This would’ve increased the weight of the wheel relatively to the feedback generated by lateral physics-based loads, which would explain why many people found reducing the additional Fanatec filters such as damper and natural friction to be favourable with v1.15.

I could be completely off the mark with the methodology of how PD have implemented FFB but I’m not sure how else to explain the FFB saga. The soft limit may even be deliberate and simply a poorly conceived fail-safe against excessive FFB.

At any rate, there’s no doubt soft clipping is happening and we’re completely at the mercy of PD to fix
Yup, this is exactly what it feels like. All we can do is keep prodding them on social media and hope they are aware and working on a fix, on the one hand how can they not be aware of this? on the other how they can be making these mistakes in the 25th anniversary version of the game...

Last edited:
MGR

View attachment 1161169

View attachment 1161170

View attachment 1161171

View attachment 1161172

At any rate, there’s no doubt soft clipping is happening and we’re completely at the mercy of PD to fix it.
Excellent post. Thanks!

Anyway, I tried RaceRoom on my PC. Sold my PS5 the day after. And I've really made an effort in GTS/GT7, golding everything, reaching A+, buying GT DD Pro 8 Nm, trying to stay positive and optimistic...
It's obvious to me that the priorities in GT and "true sims" is entirely different. I'd guess that not even GT10 will have the physics/ffb at the same level as today's RaceRoom. But if you like typical "game elements", such as pretty graphics, scapes, collecting, achieving, role-playing and getting rewards, RaceRoom is not for you. Physics/ffb can't be compared - I'd just feel bad for PD if I even tried to express the difference in words.

Here the developers explain very clearly how FFB is supposed to work: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/from-old-to-new-ffb-tips-info.17116/

And if you think that PC sims need an expensive computer, I can play RaceRoom at 4k@60FPS with 40 cars on track without a hitch on a computer worth what I got for the PS5. It also feels a lot better getting a DD with at least 8 Nm - it always felt a bit of a waste on GTS/GT7. I first now understand why people like even more than 8 Nm...

Excellent post. Thanks!

Anyway, I tried RaceRoom on my PC. Sold my PS5 the day after. And I've really made an effort in GTS/GT7, golding everything, reaching A+, buying GT DD Pro 8 Nm, trying to stay positive and optimistic...
It's obvious to me that the priorities in GT and "true sims" is entirely different. I'd guess that not even GT10 will have the physics/ffb at the same level as today's RaceRoom. But if you like typical "game elements", such as pretty graphics, scapes, collecting, achieving, role-playing and getting rewards, RaceRoom is not for you. Physics/ffb can't be compared - I'd just feel bad for PD if I even tried to express the difference in words.

Here the developers explain very clearly how FFB is supposed to work: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/from-old-to-new-ffb-tips-info.17116/

And if you think that PC sims need an expensive computer, I can play RaceRoom at 4k@60FPS with 40 cars on track without a hitch on a computer worth what I got for the PS5. It also feels a lot better getting a DD with at least 8 Nm - it always felt a bit of a waste on GTS/GT7. I first now understand why people like even more than 8 Nm...
I'm downloading RaceRoom now, but my old laptop might not do it justice.

The main reason I like GT7 is being able to jump into a daily race (at any time of day) and get matched up against a full grid of similarly skilled human players and have a good battle. I dont care about my driver rating or 100% checklisting single player events. I just enjoy the moment-to-moment aspects of good, hard and clean racing. GT7's large player base makes this possible.

MGR
I'm downloading RaceRoom now, but my old laptop might not do it justice.

The main reason I like GT7 is being able to jump into a daily race (at any time of day) and get matched up against a full grid of similarly skilled human players and have a good battle. I dont care about my driver rating or 100% checklisting single player events. I just enjoy the moment-to-moment aspects of good, hard and clean racing. GT7's large player base makes this possible.
Very off topic:

I agree with you entirely. That's one of the reasons why I picked RaceRoom, because they got daily/weekly races and so on, with an easy to use interface.
Sims with dead multiplayer I won't even try. Neither will I try sims that got a large player base but every single race is at least an hour of my time and a lot of hassle around it.

However, I was in for a surprise...
I got sick of anything single player 15-20 years ago. Since then I've been all about e-sport and MMORPG. I'd rather watch paint dry than play console games or single player in anything. Now I find myself enjoying single player in RaceRoom again, learning new tracks with AI around me. The AI is quite decent (nothing like GT7), and the physics/ffb are entertaining in itself (much more so than GT7). I also love the lack of "game elements" - I don't want credits, story, rewards, progression, collecting or anything - just let me practice and race! If I want new cars/tracks, it's all very affordable (70 euro for all content).

The few multiplayer races I've done in the rookie category (have to start there) had a surprisingly high level. I think you have to reach at least low A DR in GTS/GT7 to find similar racing.
Also, in GT7 at around A/A+, I was up against the same people all the time in daily races. I didn't benefit much from the huge player base.

Regarding system requirements and graphics settings, let me know privately if you need help. I overclocked my first computer when I was 10...

And I'm no loyal fanboy. Show me something better and I'll jump.

According to the GT7 manual, Max Torque should be at a lower limit to prevent clipping:

Steering Force Feedback

・Force Feedback Max. Torque

Adjust the maximum torque. This is an example of force feedback, which communicates information about the road surface to the driver through their tires. The greater this value, the duller the response from the tires when cornering hard. The lower this value, the more responsive the car becomes.

・Force Feedback Sensitivity

Adjust the resistance of the steering wheel when you start to turn it. This resistance is an example of force feedback, which communicates information about the road surface to the driver through their tires. The greater this value, the more responsive to changes the steering wheel will become. The lower this value, the more gentle steering becomes when driving in a straight line.

Seems Max Torque should be 2 to 4 at most, Feedback Sensitivity at 7 to 10 and set FFB to 100, for DD Podium and CSL, FF Scale to PEAK and Force Effect at 100.

I did some testing today with Max Torque at 4 and FFB Sensitivity at 9, with my DD1 PS4 I can now feel the road at both low speed and high speed corners.

For DD1 PS4 owners, here are the wheel setting I am using:

Podium DD1 PS4

Sens: 450

FFB : 75

FF Scale: PEAK

NDP: 50

NFR: 25

NIN: 5

FFB INT: 8

FE Sens: 70

Force Effect Str: 100

SPN: 10

DAMP: 10

I can feel the road through the wheel at slow speed and high speed corners, the details are there, no dead feeling when turning.

With Force Effect Str at 100, I increased FFB to add weight to the feel of the wheel.

Again, not sure how it will work with DD Podium or CSL.

@Rob Brown @Bologna_Duc @Yugofan @Harry Rowley

According to the GT7 manual, Max Torque should be at a lower limit to prevent clipping:

Steering Force Feedback

Adjust the maximum torque. This is an example of force feedback, which communicates information about the road surface to the driver through their tires. The greater this value, the duller the response from the tires when cornering hard. The lower this value, the more responsive the car becomes.

Adjust the resistance of the steering wheel when you start to turn it. This resistance is an example of force feedback, which communicates information about the road surface to the driver through their tires. The greater this value, the more responsive to changes the steering wheel will become. The lower this value, the more gentle steering becomes when driving in a straight line.

Seems Max Torque should be 2 to 4 at most, Feedback Sensitivity at 7 to 10 and set FFB to 100, for DD Podium and CSL, FF Scale to PEAK and Force Effect at 100.

I did some testing today with Max Torque at 4 and FFB Sensitivity at 9, with my DD1 PS4 I can now feel the road at both low speed and high speed corners.

Podium DD1 PS4

I can feel the road through the wheel at slow speed and high speed corners, the details are there, no dead feeling when turning.

With Force Effect Str at 100, I increased FFB to add weight to the feel of the wheel.

I tried this before with DD Pro, and tried again now. It still clips, on the lowest game setting where this is still perceptible road feel, the clipping is still there. Same in compatibility mode.

Glad you found something works with your base though.

Something half-way between what we have now and what you can get with basic defaults in ACC would be infinitely better than the current state of affairs.

When going past the chicanes at Le Mans no chicane layout you get a few touches of ffb when hitting bumps and it feels good through my t300rs, makes me so wish we could have more effects added like that, the tracks aren't super smooth surely, seems like they just don't ever want too make the ffb really good.

When going past the chicanes at Le Mans no chicane layout you get a few touches of ffb when hitting bumps and it feels good through my t300rs, makes me so wish we could have more effects added like that, the tracks aren't super smooth surely, seems like they just don't ever want too make the ffb really good.
Northcliffe should give you all you want for checking FFB.

Steering Force Feedback

Podium DD1 PS4

I'm on a DD2 and the clipping cant be removed, it's nothing like the dynamic range we had with 1.15

I can buy software clipping simply because some cars have way more feel than other cars. I drive the Sarthe 30 minutes so much with so many cars it's obvious it's a software issue. I switched from gr3 cars to the Mark IV tonight and the Mark IV has more wheel sleep, curb effects, and road effects than the other cars. It's still not quite right but it is better. I wish they could sort it out to have the last update's detail on more vehicles with this update's force levels.

Back