Updated look

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 41 comments
I just checked with the same IE 5.5 on a PC (ancient Windows 95, though...) and the same problem occurs when using the new posts window multiple times to try and browse while posting.  I.e. the threads are brought up in the same window, hiding previous threads and/or half-done postings.

(Edited by SportWagon at 9:10 am on June 4, 2001)

posted on line looks okay now, so either you fixed something or it's an intermittent problem.

Now, in same IE 5.5 I can't get from page 1 to page 2.  I can select page 2 okay from the topics list, but the line with next/prev topic and go to page is missing.

This is beta, isn't it?  :D

Well, just don't use Netscape to visit the forums.

What exactly are you trying to say about this New Posts thing?  If you're talking about the link which says Check new posts since last visit, then I think it is very simple.  It opens in a small window that you can keep open.  Then, when you click on the first new message, it opens a new window.  Then you read it and reply in that window.  Then you click on the next message in the small window, and it directs the new window to the next message.  I found it rather straight-forward myself.

And yes, this is a beta.  You are using a board while it is being worked on.

Oh, and yes, I did notice the problem with multiple-page topics.  There is no link for the next page on the bottom.  :confused:

Quote: from Jordan on 1:50 pm on June 4, 2001[br]Well, just don't use Netscape to visit the forums.

What exactly are you trying to say about this New Posts thing?  If you're talking about the link which says Check new posts since last visit, then I think it is very simple.  It opens in a small window that you can keep open.  Then, when you click on the first new message, it opens a new window.  Then you read it and reply in that window.  Then you click on the next message in the small window, and it directs the new window to the next message.  I found it rather straight-forward myself.

And yes, this is a beta.  You are using a board while it is being worked on.

Some people might not have the option of not using Netscape.  When people develop pages that misbehave in IE I give them a similar hard time.

The reason the main forum page shows next to nothing in Netscape is because you are missing a </table>.  Make your HTML correct and it will display reasonably in Netscape.

When I visited this time (with Netscape) I did the same new  posts thing, but I did notice that Netscape shows the more pages gadget for this thread.  Haven't checked in IE yet.

The new posts thing does not open the selected topic in a totally *new* window.  It opens it in a window with a particular name.  If that window already exists it uses it.  This makes it difficult to look at two of those new topics at the same time, for instance.

And, as I said, it can hide the reply composition page such as I am using right now.  If at this point I were to go and try and check more threads by selecting them from the new posts window, my composition here will be hidden by that thread (though I can actually get back to it once I know what to expect).

I'm not sure how much of the colours and layout (e.g. the top banner) is your work, and how much it is default ikonboard, but I find them all very pleasant.  The nice ochre(?) bands on the black banner, the understated blue buttons, etc.  Thought I'd better say *some* good things.  :D

Oh.  I see you've fixed the multiple page gadget in IE as well...

Thanks for taking the spaces out of the avatar name, too.   I'm not sure what was going wrong there,    I suspect  some JavaScript routine wants an encoded URL in Netscape and an unencoded one in IE?   Maybe?

Anyway now the Subaru shows up in both browsers.   :D

(Edited by SportWagon at 7:03 am on June 5, 2001)

Quote: from SportWagon on 3:46 pm on June 5, 2001[br]I'm not sure how much of the colours and layout (e.g. the top banner) is your work, and how much it is default ikonboard, but I find them all very pleasant.  The nice ochre(?) bands on the black banner, the understated blue buttons, etc.  Thought I'd better say *some* good things.  :D

LOL!  Finally something you like!  :)

This is partly a test to see if I'm still here.  :D

But also, just because I point out minor things wrong, doesn't mean I don't like the board overall.

I see you've completely redone the way in to here, and I'm glad to say that even in Netscape I saw no ugly columns of blinking.

Oh one problem.  :D

https://www.gtplanet.net/ has a default background.  If you meant white perhaps you should specify it.  I leave my default as the old traditional gray so I can notice my own pages if I forget to specify a background.

For a laugh sometime, go to http://www.gtplanet.com/  :D

(Edited by SportWagon at 4:21 am on June 8, 2001)

Quote: from SportWagon on 1:20 pm on June 8, 2001[br]
For a laugh sometime, go to http://www.gtplanet.com/  :D

LOL, poor gtplanet.com!  Another failed e-business.  I wish they'd sell their domain name...

bear.gif
gtplanetsingapore.gif

GTPlanet - My kind of space  :D

Back