Upgrading My Cockpit. Help!

• Thread starter micromash
  • 5 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
For the past 5-6 years I have been using my trusty old g29 and playseat challenge which served me well.

I recently upgraded to the Fanatec Csl elite and non load cell pedals (I bought the f1 kit) I have since ordered the load cell pedal.

The problem is the playseat is not the sturdiest cockpit and i feel like it will suffer using a loadcell, especially if I want to run at higher pressures, in fact I know it will.

So, I need a new cockpit. I have a few issues however.
1. The space I have isn't big.
2. I like to play other games on my PC for which I sit at my desk. When I race I slide the playseat up to my desk and pull my monitor towards me. Basically I need a rig that can be moved with relative ease by 1 person. The rig cannot permanently sit near my desk and PC due to space restrictions meaning it would be tricky to leave it in the corner and plug it in to my pc so moving the rig to my pc is easier than moving my pc to the rig. I also don't want to buy another TV just to leave on the rig so using my monitor is the only real option.

I've been looking at the GT-omega ART, next level racing f-gt and simetic k2 cockpits.

Out of the 3 the simetik seems to be the most expensive when you add everything together but also the most worth it, with upgradability down the line and just general sturdiness.

So, considering I have a budget of around £500 maximum would you recommend any of these cockpits? Or another one entirely?

I mostly play F1 games at the moment which is what attracted me to the f-gt but i've heard some bad things about screws not aligning and the pedal plate being a bit crap. Really I just want something as solid as possible that can be moved into the corner when im not using it.

I've looked at some 80/20 cockpits but the problem is they seem like they would be impossible to move, or at least very hard and a lot of effort every day, most of them are also quite above my budget when you factor in a seat.

I have the racing f-gt and love it. I know its not a real F1 seating position but it feels so good driving, you actually have to kind of crawl into it, feels like I am getting into something. It has a ton of adjustablity for where you want everything. Its good value for the price.

But very important dont buy it thinking you are going to shift between the configurations of GT and F1 and I cant imagine taking it apart and getting everything comfortable again, just thinking about it makes me sweat.

Its a pain to put together but all the holes aligned fine, I have the Fanatec V3 with brake performance set to hard and no problem with the pedal plate.

They're a bit out of budget if you factor in a seat. would be looking at over £500 whereas I can get the f-gt for £370
No worries, but surely you can get a better seat than on the F-GT for under £150 and get under your target, a mate got his GT1 today and is mounting a VW Golf seat he picked up from the car wreckers for $50 AUS, says the seat is super comfy and adjustable, as you would expect, I would go this route over a F-GT, the GT1 is a rock solid rig that you can be set up how you like and will be able to handle a DD wheel in the future (hopefully when they get more affordable) which a fg-t can’t, plus is super modular if you want to add any accessories, monitor stand.......

hi micromash, I sort of skimmed over your original post but how do you feel about a diy project. I recently upgrade to a Sim-lab P1-X which is 8020 but prior to that I found these plans on the world wide web for free. It is designed from the proprietor of a company named "Zalem" Built of square steel tubing out of 1 1/4' and 1 1/2" tubing.

The rig is so solid, very customable. As I mentioned, I now use 8020 which I recommend first and foremost but if you can weld or know someone who can you are set. Here are the plans, if it is not an option you keep the plans for perhaps another time or a friend.

These are images from ten years ago or so and I had added many options after. 8020 makes it easier for adding accessories where the Zalem rig required me to drill holes and bolt them on. If you can save up for a while I would recommend the Sim-lab P1-X, if not, my advice is simply food for thought. Good luck.

This is my P1-X https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/sim-lab-p1-x.390896/

Attachments

• 260r9l1.jpg
    260r9l1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 2222.jpeg
    2222.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 60
Back