User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,460 comments
I'm having trouble with cutouts just coming in as plain black. There is only the one object and I've clicked convert to path in Inkscape. Any ideas?

Attachments

• SMD Racing Cutout.svg
    3.4 KB · Views: 22
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. All I'm doing is making lines and filling the colors. Could it be because I'm saving it as an optimized file?

Blaze.png
In.png

Attachments

• Blaze flat.svg
    35.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I'm having trouble with cutouts just coming in as plain black. There is only the one object and I've clicked convert to path in Inkscape. Any ideas?
Break apart (path>break apart) your object, select all paths except the outside rectangle, then path>reverse.
select all paths, and path>combine.

Attachments

• SMD Racing Cutout.svg
    3.5 KB · Views: 21
Break apart (path>break apart) your object, select all paths except the outside rectangle, then path>reverse.
select all paths, and path>combine.
Had a bit of trouble selecting all the internal paths, they kept disappearing when I reversed them, but whatever I did in the end seemed to work, so thank you for the pointers. I've just used a small version of this on my latest livery and it worked quite well so, now I know what I'm doing I can have a bit of fun!

Colourshift with matte black overlay & cutout logo.jpg

Guys,
I'm just getting into making my own .svg\logo files for GT7. I cannot get gradients to work. Attached is a simple file I made that seems fine until I upload it into the game. Would anybody be willing to look at it and tell me what I am missing? I've been reading for days and can't seem to figure it out.

Attachments

• side.svg
    717 bytes · Views: 22
Guys,
I'm just getting into making my own .svg\logo files for GT7. I cannot get gradients to work. Attached is a simple file I made that seems fine until I upload it into the game. Would anybody be willing to look at it and tell me what I am missing? I've been reading for days and can't seem to figure it out.

Attachments

• side.svg
    1,008 bytes · Views: 22
Hi folks,

I've created a few "taxi" images from Vectormator Pro, then I've run those png files through covertio.pro and saved them as <15kb .svg files files and they are still showing up as blank when I upload them to GT7. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• TAXIST3.png
    TAXIST3.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 15
  • TAXIST.png
    TAXIST.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 14
  • taxist2.png
    taxist2.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 10
I've created a few "taxi" images from Vectormator Pro, then I've run those png files

Why is something called Vectormator making PNG's? PNG's are not Vectors.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If you upload the SVG files, rather than the PNG's it may give a clearer picture. Everything in those PNG's can exist in a 15kb SVG file, so it's nothing to do with the source images.

Why is something called Vectormator making PNG's? PNG's are not Vectors.

If you upload the SVG files, rather than the PNG's it may give a clearer picture. Everything in those PNG's can exist in a 15kb SVG file, so it's nothing to do with the source images.
So, my files are starting out as png files, then I convert them using that website to the .svg files. So when I upload them on the GT decal uploader, they're proper 15k .svg files. And I can see them on the website, but when I go to the game, they are blank.

So, my files are starting out as png files, then I convert them using that website to the .svg files. So when I upload them on the GT decal uploader, they're proper 15k .svg files. And I can see them on the website, but when I go to the game, they are blank.
Again, if you upload the SVG files, it would be easier to see the problem. It could be that running them through https://xerocho.github.io/svgomg/ before uploading them to GT7 gets rid of the problem.

Hey everyone👋 I'm really interested in making decals but I don't have a PC to do them on, can anybody recommend a good (preferably free or cheap) Android app/program that'll do the job and the simpler the better as I'm a total noob at this 🤣 Thanks in advance👍

I am having an odd issue, I have made an SVG of just Text for a license plate.
Uploaded it, it shows fine on the website.
But in game it is blank.

Any specific design rules?
I would've assumed if it uploads fine and shows up fine, it should be fine in game.

Attachments

• Grayfox_License_Plate_Inner.svg
    2.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Grayfox_License_Plate_Outline.svg
    2.8 KB · Views: 10
Hello all. I have a question (well a couple of them) for you .svg making experts.

I'm trying to make a few of my own decals using Inkscape. As long as they're single color and simple, I've been somewhat successful. I've had a few "The browser you are using is not supported" messages, even after going to the SVOMG site. . . I may address this in another post later.

I've read the excellent tutorial on the first page relating to Inkscape, and it doesn't cover a couple of things I need to do.

Anyways, on to my main issues.
Here is an example of a decal I'm trying to make, and it covers both of the things that I cannot figure out how to do:

STuned Decal.jpg

The first thing I'd like to do is remove the orangeish background and leaving the black surround (and the rest of the insides of course).

The second thing is to leave the colors in as they are, or close to it. I'm not terribly picky when it comes to this. When working on some previous decals, every time I separate the vector from the bitmap, the result is an all black vector. Am I missing a setting or something?

Yes, I AM kind of a NOOB at this.:boggled:

Thanks in advance for your time! I really appreciate what you fine folks do here!

Last edited:
Can any of you guys turn this sign into an svg file pls?

Attachments

• Grand Theft Auto V_20220114230328.png
    Grand Theft Auto V_20220114230328.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 12
I want to save text string as SVG. I made outlined text with Sans Serif font but when I imported this SVG to the webpage, text looks like it was written in different font. Can you help what to do

I have no idea how I can make this file any smaller, it looks nowhere near as vibrant and complex as other designs I've seen and it's still a massive file. I've tried compressing the file, I've tried shrinking the dimensions but it's still a fair bit over the 15kb limit even when I shrink the PNG I made to 120 pixels

Attachments

• master position-min.png
    master position-min.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
  • master_position.svg
    186.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi everyone !

I want to upload a logo, but nothing works. All I get is a full black vector. I tried with Affinity designer, Illustrator and Inkscape... please help !

I don't understand what's I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• logo6.svg
    12.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi everyone !

I want to upload a logo, but nothing works. All I get is a full black vector. I tried with Affinity designer, Illustrator and Inkscape... please help !

I don't understand what's I'm doing wrong.
The Gradients are formated with transforms, Im not familier with the Class path formating so I dont know enough to know if it works in GT as is,

The Transforms are quite extreme so Ive had a difficult 20 mins scratching my head about how its been transformed so much, Ive managed to get the formating correct so it shows ingame as colour but the transform has thrown the gradient stop handles several thousand units around the page for some reason.

Ive managed to get the handles somewhat back to where they should be but its not 100% in the correct position, But it does work ingame at the moment.

Attachments

• logo6 Zero 1(1) 3.svg
    9.2 KB · Views: 12
I've been using an online photo editor called Photopea, mainly use it for thumbnails. But, it seems that I can export SVG's through it. Might play with this later tonight.

EDIT:
I can export, but the Decal Uploader won't accept them. Oh well, I guess it's what you get for using a free program.

Last edited:
Back