Using Fanatec gear on PC and PS4 (and PC advice)

• Thread starter FieldMat
  • 11 comments
United States
United States
I have the GT DD Pro 8nm with V3 pedals and use it on PS4. I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC for iRacing, ACC, etc., but want to also still use the PS4.

Question is, is it practical to swap the base/wheel/pedals between the PS4 and PC? Since the pedals connect the base, the power connects to the base, then I think it is simply a matter of pulling the USB (which is connected to the base by Type C connection) out of the PS4 and plugging it into the PC. Is it that simple, or is there something else I should be thinking about?

Thanks

I have the GT DD Pro 8nm with V3 pedals and use it on PS4. I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC for iRacing, ACC, etc., but want to also still use the PS4.

Question is, is it practical to swap the base/wheel/pedals between the PS4 and PC? Since the pedals connect the base, the power connects to the base, then I think it is simply a matter of pulling the USB (which is connected to the base by Type C connection) out of the PS4 and plugging it into the PC. Is it that simple, or is there something else I should be thinking about?

Thanks
Yes, it is that simple. Move the usb from PS to PC, and change the mode on the wheel, and you're done.

Thanks @Goonie75. I didn't know that was a thing (had to Google it), but it is a great idea. Will save on wear on tear.

Now just to sort through the minefield of PCUs, GPUs, RAM, etc...:ill:

Hijacking my own thread here, but in case this catches someone's eye who uses PC for iRacing and ACC, I've looked at their minimum and recommended system requirements and think something like the spec below will do (it is a pre-built), but would value advice on whether I should beef up any part:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K (3.6 GHz base; up to 5.0 GHz, 25 MB cache, 12 cores, 20 threads)
RAM: 16Gb (2 x 8 DDR4-3733 MHz) - maybe replacing them after market with 2 x 16GB (cheaper than the uplift for pre-built)
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti (8 GB GDDR6X dedicated)
Storage: 2TB SSD
Power: 800W

Thanks @Goonie75. I didn't know that was a thing (had to Google it), but it is a great idea. Will save on wear on tear.

Now just to sort through the minefield of PCUs, GPUs, RAM, etc...:ill:

Hijacking my own thread here, but in case this catches someone's eye who uses PC for iRacing and ACC, I've looked at their minimum and recommended system requirements and think something like the spec below will do (it is a pre-built), but would value advice on whether I should beef up any part:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K (3.6 GHz base; up to 5.0 GHz, 25 MB cache, 12 cores, 20 threads)
RAM: 16Gb (2 x 8 DDR4-3733 MHz) - maybe replacing them after market with 2 x 16GB (cheaper than the uplift for pre-built)
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti (8 GB GDDR6X dedicated)
Storage: 2TB SSD
Power: 800W
Depending on your monitor that will work just fine. I use 10700K/16GB/3060 Ti and on ACC I get around 120fps on a 49" 5120x1440 monitor. iRacing will get heaps more fps than that.

Great, thanks. I have a 32" non-HD TV (it sits very close to me) that I'm looking to upgrade to something like the Samsung S3 Odyssey gaming monitor, which is 1920x1080 with a 165MHz refresh rate.

Your proposed PC is really good for what route you have indicated going. I have a RTX 2070S (3070Ti is 39% better) that runs my 55” 4k 120Hz TV (3840x2160 pixels). AC and Raceroom is what I’ve ran so far as I’m just coming from PS console. I’m able to max graphics settings and maintain 120 fps.
If you ever go for 3x 4k screens, or VR, you will desire more GPU. Like me, you probably find that a bit too far down the road …
Not to false alarm you, I recall seeing some hubbub about i7 CPUs not being windows11 compliant/compatible? Maybe you could do a little research to make sure your i7 would work with windows11? Perhaps others in the know will comment.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. I doubt I'll ever go to triples or VR, but who knows what lies down the road... Should I ever get there, I guess I could just replace the GPU with a better one.

Not heard about the incompatibility issue, so thanks for the heads up. Did a quick search and found this page by Microsoft where they list all the compatible Intel processors for Windows 11 and the i7 12700K is on there. Sigh of relief!

Great and quick research! Better to have the heart skip a beat now then to hear that after you order your PC. Well done.
I too hadn’t heard about the USB switcher. I’m going to order one. I wonder now if those can be automated. Saw one with a remote control but I’m too irresponsible/lazy. 😆

I use a KVM switch where my private PC, work PC and PS5 is connected, together with all USB peripherals including the wheel, and a 4k monitor. A remote on my monitor stand with 4 buttons lets me select and switch everything to the desired source. 55 euro. I love it.

Depending on your monitor that will work just fine. I use 10700K/16GB/3060 Ti and on ACC I get around 120fps on a 49" 5120x1440 monitor. iRacing will get heaps more fps than that.
I ended up getting a slightly better spec PC (Ryzen 7 5800X; 32MB RAM; 2TB SSD; GeForce RTX 3080) and an LG - UltraGear 32GP850 Quad HD 32" Monitor. iRacing runs at well over 200 fps - brilliant.
I use a KVM switch where my private PC, work PC and PS5 is connected, together with all USB peripherals including the wheel, and a 4k monitor. A remote on my monitor stand with 4 buttons lets me select and switch everything to the desired source. 55 euro. I love it.
For now I got cheap USB switcher and it seems to be doing the job. Only issue is that when both PC and PS4 are on, the monitor doesn't seem to want to switch over, but it is rare that I'd want/ need both on, so doesn't really matter.

Back