Using the Handbrake

• Thread starter Bc4
  • 208 comments

Bc4

Chile
Coquimbo, Chile
Well ive been drifting for a while now and noticed that I never use the e-brake

Is it necessary if I want to get better at drifting or is it just personal preference?

Do any of you drift without using the handbrake??

I drift without it because I basically have none :P I just use a brake setup that handles virtually the same as a handbrake ( 0 to 10 rear brake bias, without ABS). But I do believe you need something like a handbrake to get some decent drifting and tandeming done.

Well...if you were wanting to have a E-Brake, maybe get those PC game air-shooter game controllers or something. or If you have a G25/G27, you could probably try Chilicoke's method to add an actual E-Brake(he uses one from a S2000).

I setup an e-brake with my DS3 and shoe strings when I want to tandem. I use a DFGT, by the way. I normally just use it for entries and to extend drifts in the event that I cant accelerate if the other person is slower.

Ok, cool so I guess it's pretty much just personal preference but either way ill try using it

thanks for the responses :D

Sometimes you'll find when pulling a Backwards Entry at high speed, it's probably best to use the e-brake... I know that's what I do.
When transitioning, I never use the e-brake.
While following in tandem however, I use a mix of both brakes ;)
There are a few other e-brake techniques I use while drifting, as you get to know how it works when drifting, you start to develop a new style by the way you drift. - Everyone's different!
Would anyone say that; someone who doesn't use the e-brake as much is a smoother drifter?

eddyac
I'm using the gear knob of the DFGT as E-Brake

Try no ABS
And brake balance
Front- 0
Rear- 7 to 10

Use your brake pedal.
With 7 it will have more looseness like you were pulling the e-brake slowly.

With 10 it is instant responding e-brake.

Also it works like a long time ago when I had the right joystick as the e-brake on a controller (which acts like a true real life e-brake. And this is also what a lot of people use when making a e- brake for their wheel).
Trust me this does work. Then you can use your shifter again.

By the way i still use this broken setting currently on my G27 too

Last edited:
USe it a lot. Either for initiating reverse entry turns or,as MichoRexo said, to extend my drift (mostly using handbrake and gas at same time to keep revs high)

davelis
USe it a lot. Either for initiating reverse entry turns or,as MichoRexo said, to extend my drift (mostly using handbrake and gas at same time to keep revs high)

Yep. I used to do this too.

But now that I got the G27 i don't have to do that anymore I can just clutch kick

eddyac
No thanks using the Gear Knob is much better

Ok... I just found it hard to shift with paddles so i did that. I hardly use the brake like this anymore though. I noticed this today. I just clutch kick so yeah :)

I drift without e-brake since I use feint drifting with a stock car though it is hard but with a tuned car its easier.

I don't use E-Brake, might wire one upto my G27 if I get my hands on one. I usually do the "Ueo Style" :P If you know who he(Katsuhiro Ueo) is. xD

I'm just about to have a go at drifting, is there anyway to set the clutch on my t500 as the handbrake.
i've been playing WRC3 like this and have got quite used to it.

Thanks.

stevefoz
I'm just about to have a go at drifting, is there anyway to set the clutch on my t500 as the handbrake.

Thanks.

Nope not on GT5

Not at all? Im just using my brake pedal as a e-brake really.

I would say it might be possible though ^^

1310480585093.jpg

Dude asked if he could set the clutch pedal as a handbrake, like a button, ike when you set triangle to accelerate, instead of X. Not a setup that makes the brake act like a handbrake.

Gonales

No you can't set the clutch as the e-brake (as in the options menu)

I am sure you can modify the pedal itself but it will void your warranty.

Thumbs up

I personally don't use the side brake.
Trying to keep track of where the shape cluster is at any given time just distracts me from enjoying the drift, so I simply use inertia and the foot brake to drift rather than using the side brake.

I will use it in an emergency though (wehey! it actually lives up to its name for once)

UrieHusky
I personally don't use the side brake.
Trying to keep track of where the shape cluster is at any given time just distracts me from enjoying the drift, so I simply use inertia and the foot brake to drift rather than using the side brake.

I will use it in an emergency though (wehey! it actually lives up to its name for once)

I have actually made myself a e-brake and i hardly use it. I still use my ABS- 0 then 0 in the front ten in the rear brake balance trick

Yeah there was a guy on a trading website over here selling G27s with all the prep work for a sidebrake to be attached pre-done. So all the soldering etc was already sorted all you needed was the lever (Might of come with one actually)

But I looked at it and kinda went "I dunno where I'd even put that..."

Do yeah, I'm perfectly happy using weight transfer and brake balance to drift instead of using the side brake :)

1310480585093.jpg

Dude asked if he could set the clutch pedal as a handbrake, like a button, ike when you set triangle to accelerate, instead of X. Not a setup that makes the brake act like a handbrake.

RE-read my post please, come back when you understand it, thank you. 2 Different sentences: 2 different topics of reply.

I have actually made myself a e-brake and i hardly use it. I still use my ABS- 0 then 0 in the front ten in the rear brake balance trick

I'm using the same brake setup as you are.

But besides that point, I know the clutch pedal is working with an axis, and pressure, but couldn't you use the 'biting' point as an Ebrake button? I think, for example, that I can use R2 on my controller for an Ebrake as well, and that's also an axis-movement. (I hope you get the thing I'm trying to say.)

I drift without it because I basically have none :P I just use a brake setup that handles virtually the same as a handbrake ( 0 to 10 rear brake bias, without ABS). But I do believe you need something like a handbrake to get some decent drifting and tandeming done.

Thanks.
Nope not on GT5

RE-read my post please, come back when you understand it, thank you. 2 Different sentences: 2 different topics of reply.

Then please explain me what did you said. Because to me, it makes no sense at all.

Back