Using the yellow flag to your advantage

• Thread starter oik01
  • 33 comments
Last lap, last strait and your fighting the guy just behind you... He's accelerating faster than you and looks to overtake you by the finish line... a yellow flag comes up? ==> Full brakes instantly... guy passes you ... gets penalty ... you stroll on to the finish line a hero!

The flags are salt on the wound of the penalty system. FFS PD!

+1 billion

The only reason there is no passing under a yellow is so no corner workers or first responders get hurt. The yellow flag used to only mean that there was an accident so "proceed with caution", but you could pass. Then they changed it for safety reasons.

Since it's a virtual world, there's no need to do anything more than tell me that there is an accident (which is super helpful). Penalizing me because I passed some teleportation event at the wrong time is ridiculous.

Will they also implement a fine on my in-game credits if my in-game avatar is found to be using virtual narcotics or if he drives under the influence?

So a yellow flag occurring halfway down a straight, let me know how often you experience those.
I think you miss the brilliance of this technique. All you need to pull it off is a friend who agrees to stay at the back of the field, causing an accident on your signal. You can even take turns winning, one for him, one for you. I wish I would’ve come up with a method as sure as this ingenious strategy.

Yellow flags apply to sections not the whole race, if your friend was at the back and you'd already be past the section where the yellow flag applied.

I am pretty much getting penalty every second race, its ridiculous. Who thought it was a good idea to penalise people in the first place.

Last edited:
Yellow flags apply to sections not the whole race, if your friend was at the back and you'd already be past the section where the yellow flag applied.

Well, I had a race a few days ago, a guy lost it at Lago Maggiore hairpin in the first lap and I guess he stop playing but didn't quit the race, to avoid SR decrease, so the car stayed ghosted on the corner for half the race, so that track section was under yellow half the race.

In my experience, not halfway down the straight but in the last corner of Interlagos, the GT-R I was fighting overcooked, lost it, spun, ghosted, yellow flag as I was passing by the ghost GT-R, received the penalty halfway down the straight. No way to wear it down, lost 2 places by the added time, one of which to the GT-R

Sport mode races just aren't long enough to warrant yellow flags.

I disagree. The yellow flag is SUPER SUPER SUPER helpful in terms of telling you something is happening. So many corners are blind and I want to know ahead of time if a car is parked sideways on the other side. The cars aren't always in ghost mode when it happens. It's the penalty that is stupid.

I get them and I don't even see the car!

I disagree. The yellow flag is SUPER SUPER SUPER helpful in terms of telling you something is happening. So many corners are blind and I want to know ahead of time if a car is parked sideways on the other side. The cars aren't always in ghost mode when it happens. It's the penalty that is stupid.

I get them and I don't even see the car!

The penalty is stupid because the rule says you can't overtake to avoid people to take unnecessary risks. That doesn't include the car itself involved in the crash or cars out of track, but you sometimes take penalties for "overtaking" stationary spun cars. It's ridiculous when someone lost it in front of you, a yellow is dropped, you pass by and take two deep breaths until you realize you got a penalty for overtaking under yellow or not.
Other thing stupid about yellows is the ghosted cars. I understand the game ghosting a car that had a unjustified deceleration or that didn't decelerate at all at a braking point, but once the flag is dropped to signalise danger what's the point? It's rewarding to people who doesn't care about the flag and go flat out, opposite to people who adopt a preventive approach to the section of the track on yellows!

Enjoy....(sorry pd but this proves how broken it is)

I had said in a different thread that I have a feeling yellow flag and car resets are a huge part of the systems terrible mechanics. Proof

That looks more like a glitch and it fair to say that in that instance yellow flags aren't working as intended.

I don't think that the mechanic its self is bad, just that it's not full-proof and errors and glitches will happen

That looks more like a glitch and it fair to say that in that instance yellow flags aren't working as intended.

I don't think that the mechanic its self is bad, just that it's not full-proof and errors and glitches will happen

This happens to me all the time, if myself and my friends uploaded a clip every time, we'd be making a 3 hour documentary. This is how the system actually works, not a glitch. Awful system, nothing more, nothing less.

This happens to me all the time, if myself and my friends uploaded a clip every time, we'd be making a 3 hour documentary. This is how the system actually works, not a glitch. Awful system, nothing more, nothing less.

That sucks you're having such a bad time. I've run through a lot of yellow flags and have yet to get a penalty or see anything like that.

I don't think PD would want yellow flags to work like that, as it is not helpful and/or representative of actual motor-sports

That hasn't happened to me, ever. Not saying it doesn't happen, but that is a very small set of circumstances which would make that occur. And, let's be honest, it's not like the yellow flag penalties have been around for a very long time, so I'd imagine they will get refined in the same way that collision penalties have been.

Not trying to defend them as a whole, as don't really see the point other than to teach people the rules of motorsport, but still I don't think they are as bad as the people in this thread are making out.

Has anyone else ever seen the guys that yank the E-brake at the end of the race to smash the wall after they pass the finish line? I wonder if those guys do it early enough they could get a couple people to incur a 5 sec penalty?

Also the video that @covan2306 posted is just awful lol. I've gotten the penalty 2 times now and both times (I use bumper cam) I passed a ghost only to see the solid car in my rear view and get hit with a penalty.

I've had a bollocks yellow flag penalty. Posted my own whine thread and video to go with it too.
As others have said I like the system it needs to be in the game. But they really need to fix the penalty side of it. So many of these threads appearing it's not just affecting a small amount of people. Think how many people aren't on here ranting about it every time. It's a big problem that needs fixed.

That sucks you're having such a bad time. I've run through a lot of yellow flags and have yet to get a penalty or see anything like that.

I don't think PD would want yellow flags to work like that, as it is not helpful and/or representative of actual motor-sports

That hasn't happened to me, ever. Not saying it doesn't happen, but that is a very small set of circumstances which would make that occur. And, let's be honest, it's not like the yellow flag penalties have been around for a very long time, so I'd imagine they will get refined in the same way that collision penalties have been.

Not trying to defend them as a whole, as don't really see the point other than to teach people the rules of motorsport, but still I don't think they are as bad as the people in this thread are making out.

You guys have been lucky then... so far. When - not if, when - it hits you with a penalty in a similar case, you won't be so happy with it!

That video is about the worst I've seen, but any time a car is put back on track and de-ghosted there's a window of time where the yellow is still active and you'd get a penalty for passing what was a ghosted car until moments before you pass it. It certainly isn't correct.

You guys have been lucky then... so far. When - not if, when - it hits you with a penalty in a similar case, you won't be so happy with it!

That video is about the worst I've seen, but any time a car is put back on track and de-ghosted there's a window of time where the yellow is still active and you'd get a penalty for passing what was a ghosted car until moments before you pass it. It certainly isn't correct.
Yeah I don’t want you to confuse what I’m saying. Getting a penalty for what was highlighted in that video would be horrible and is horrible. But that’s so clearly unjust and unfair that it can’t possibly be how PD want the yellow flags system to work.

I can’t imagine the FIA would be happy with having there name on an event tarnished by something like that on a public esport event.

So I would imagine it will be fixed like the BoP

It's been fifty-fifty for me.

What I do know is 100% is that I have never passed the car that I was racing with under a yellow, yet, I have been penalized for the pass.

It was better before the penalty. Even if they fix the penalty so that it works properly, it's still a pointless penalty.

Yeah I don’t want you to confuse what I’m saying. Getting a penalty for what was highlighted in that video would be horrible and is horrible. But that’s so clearly unjust and unfair that it can’t possibly be how PD want the yellow flags system to work.

I can’t imagine the FIA would be happy with having there name on an event tarnished by something like that on a public esport event.

So I would imagine it will be fixed like the BoP

I don't think I did confuse, but maybe. I was reacting to "I've run through a lot of yellow flags and have yet to get a penalty or see anything like that." which - in your experience - would make it seem like a rare occurance. I got penalties like that twice within a few races, which made it seem rather frequent, to me! The true frequency is probably somewhere in between, but in any case, too frequent to be dismissed as low priority (not that you were particularly, but I wouldn't blame you if you did).

I got rammed the only time I tried to slow down for a yellow flag. I once got 2x 5s penalties at Interlagos as everyone crashed in front of me and failed to ghost soon enough. I was like: Yay I survived that mess but damn 10s is harsh...

The real problem is receiving a penalty for passing the car that created the yellow flag. I am not allowed to pass the stationary, or sometimes perpendicular car under a yellow flag without getting a penalty, but the rest of the pack ahead is justified in continuing their lap at the normal race pace.

I had such terrible lucky the other day with yellow flags. Each time I had a run and would've gone for a pass and bam theres another yellow flag. Part of racing I guess.

Speaking about yellow flags I had on one in an online race today, A player lost control about 50 metres in front of me and he went way off the track, the yellow flag wave so I slowed down and I was the only car on the track in that section, but he was still along way off the track, so I went pass him and I got a penalty.
On the screen in yellow it said no overtaking, so if a player spins of the track and the yellow comes out you can not overtake even if he is not on the track, that to me is wrong. Is there away I can report this to PD, or the system is not right.

Back