Van Diemen RF81 Formula Ford 1600 #42 Ayrton Senna 1981

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 12 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

Ayrton Senna came to Europe in 1981, at the age of twenty-two, to begin his open wheel racing career competing in British Formula Fords. He was already well known for what he had accomplished in karting. A portfolio which included the 1977 and 1978 South American Championship. He was also the Brazilian national champion four straight years, from 1978 to 1981.

Ayrton won his third ever car race at Brands Hatch on March 15th 1981, at the wheel of a Van Diemen RF81. By the end of the season he had established himself as the man to beat, winning the two prestigious national British Formula Ford titles.

In 1982 he graduated to Formula Ford 2000, competing in both the British and European Championships. Utterly and completely dominating the formula he won twenty-one of the twenty-seven races contested. That season Senna also had his first chance to race in a non-championship Formula Three race at Thruxton. He started from pole position and won easily.

10029528a.jpg

2dluoie.jpg

images

THE OTHER SENNA CARS ARE HERE:

Last edited:
That's fantastic Pete, I which I could say the same.
👍
It was a case if being in the right place at the right time.
A media day in 1991 before the local round of the Formula Ford championship at Sandown Raceway. I got 6 laps in a horrible thing called a Listech 86. Understeer into & snap oversteer out of a corner including a nice big lurid spin into turn 1.
Lucky for me I got another 6 in Craig Lowndes Van Diemen RF85. What a beautifully set up car. Lapped at the same pace as the (future) '94 Champ in his rookie year in a slower car (Spectrum 04). I've followed Craig ever since.
Easily the best day of my life by a very long way.

It was a case if being in the right place at the right time.
A media day in 1991 before the local round of the Formula Ford championship at Sandown Raceway. I got 6 laps in a horrible thing called a Listech 86. Understeer into & snap oversteer out of a corner including a nice big lurid spin into turn 1.
Lucky for me I got another 6 in Craig Lowndes Van Diemen RF85. What a beautifully set up car. Lapped at the same pace as the (future) '94 Champ in his rookie year in a slower car (Spectrum 04). I've followed Craig ever since.
Easily the best day of my life by a very long way.

It seems to me you missed a racing career?
:embarrassed:

It seems to me you missed a racing career?
:embarrassed:
Lack of inheritance,
Lack of sponsorship,
Lack of a well paying job,
Lack of a winning lottery ticket

Take your pick :(

I'm still having therapy & occasionally wake up in a cold sweat having this vivid dream of a bank robbery & the need to drive away at great speed from flashing lights and loud noises :mischievous:

Lack of inheritance,
Lack of sponsorship,
Lack of a well paying job,
Lack of a winning lottery ticket

Take your pick :(

I'm still having therapy & occasionally wake up in a cold sweat having this vivid dream of a bank robbery & the need to drive away at great speed from flashing lights and loud noises :mischievous:

Hi Pete,

I have no words, the only thing I can say is ... everyone has to have a dream, if all the dreams come true you will less to dream and life gets boring.
And maybe you will win the lottery soon?

Have a nice day!
:cheers:

Hi Pete,

I have no words, the only thing I can't say ... everyone has to have a dream, if all the dreams come true you will less to dream and life gets boring.
And maybe you will the lottery soon?

Have a nice day!
:cheers:
No problem my friend. I heard an excellent joke a while ago that explains our love of Motorsport.

Q. How do you make a small fortune from Motorsport?

A. Start with a big fortune :D

Back