Lotus 99T Honda [Ayrton Senna] 1987

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 15 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

Presents another Ayrton Senna Formula One car, the Lotus 99T. The yellow nr. 12 with the Camel advertising was the last Lotus Senna drove.
With this car Senna managed to win Monaco and Detroit GP, one pole position at the San Marino GP, three fastest laps at the Monaco, Detroit and Italian GP and in total six podium finishes. It was also the last time the F1 team Lotus won a GP.

I can't believe this F1 car never suggested and I couldn't find any entry as well so I decided to suggested today.
For PD it should be very easy to add this car, we already have a Lotus, partnership with ASF and Senna's 99T was already in Gran Turismo 3 aka "F687/S".

images

The Lotus 99T was designed by Gérard Ducarouge for the 1987 season. After Renault pulled out of F1 at the end of 1986, Lotus signed a deal with Honda for use of their hugely powerful turbocharged 1.5 Litre engine, although due to Honda's already existing deal with the Williams team allowing them exclusive use of the 1987 spec Honda RA167-E, Lotus had to make do with the Honda RA166-E spec engine from 1986. As part of the deal, Lotus agreed to sign Honda's test driver Satoru Nakajima as team mate to Ayrton Senna. Nakajima, who many felt was only in F1 because of his nationality and because of Honda, brought little to the team other than Honda.

Lotus had also lost long time major sponsor John Player Special who were replaced by Camel as title sponsor, meaning the black cars with gold sign writing of the previous seasons were replaced by bright yellow with blue writing.

The 99T was the second Lotus chassis to be fitted with electronic active suspension after the team had experimented with the system on the Lotus 92 used in the first part of the 1983 season. The system's benefits of a consistent ride height with no pitch or roll in the chassis came at a cost, as the system added significant weight to the car (approx 25kg or 55lb) and also robbed the Honda turbo of approximately 5% of its power (the RA166-E was rated at approximately 900 bhp (671 kW; 912 PS) with 1987s 4.0 Bar turbo boost restriction). Ducarouge clawed as much performance back by spending many hours in the wind tunnel to compensate, although by the end of the season Senna was describing the car as nothing more than the previous year's 98T with a Honda engine instead of the Renault, and there were few in the F1 paddock outside Lotus who disagreed with him. The 99T was generally regarded as the more bulky of the cars that won a Grand Prix in 1987 with the Williams FW11B, McLaren MP4/3 and Ferrari F1/87 all regarded as better aerodynamically than the Lotus. Despite this, the 99T (especially in Senna's hands) was often among the fastest cars in a straight line.

The car was very good around slow and bumpy circuits like Monaco and Detroit (where Senna won both his races that year). This helped him and the team to third in the drivers' and constructors' championship. Senna also provided a poignant footnote that season, as his win at the United States Grand Prix was the final ever Grand Prix win for the team that Colin Chapman made famous.

Specifications
Country of origin: Great Britain
Produced in: 1987
Numbers built: 6

Engine
Configuration: Honda RA166-E 80º V6
Construction: Alloy block and head
Displacement: 1.477 liter / 90.1 cu in
Bore / Stroke: 80.0 mm (3.1 in) / 49.0 mm (1.9 in)
Valvetrain: 4 valves / cylinder, DOHC
Fuel feed: Honda Fuel Injection
Aspiration: Twin IHI Turbos
Power: 800 bhp / 597 KW
BHP/Liter: 542 bhp / liter

Drivetrain
Chassis: Carbon fibre monocoque
Suspension (fr/r): Active, double wishbones, coil springs
Steering: Rack-and-pinion
Brakes: Ventilated carbon fibre discs, all-round
Gearbox: Lotus 6 speed Manual
Drive: Rear wheel drive

Dimensions
Weight: 539 kilo / 1188.3 lbs
Length: 4216 mm (166 in)
Width: 2146 mm (84.5 in)
Height: 1003 mm (39.5 in)
Wheelbase: 2718 mm (107 in)
Track (fr/r): 1803 mm (71 in) / 1651 mm (65 in)

Performance figures
Power to weight: 1.48 bhp / kg

33jjv40.jpg

D19DRci.jpg

images
lotus-vector-logo-200x200.png

THE OTHER SENNA CARS ARE HERE:

HERE ARE THE OTHER LOTUS CARS

Last edited:
This shall need an sepparate page...

Not because they are the same cars only the names changed, F687 / S, F = Formula, 6 = cylinder, 87 = year, S = Senna ie the car driven by Senna in 1987 Lotus was described above.

I would like the Return of the problems described above sponsor.

Attachments

• Capturar.JPG
    Capturar.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 6
Well, I don't doubt the possibility of this car returning...

Why should this car not be (return) in GT6 or GT7?
But you want that Gran Turismo F687/S shall return?

The F687/S is a fantasy car based on the Yellow (Camel) Lotus and Black (JPS) Lotus, that surprises me.

And we have already the real JPS Lotus.

Um... I just want both. I don't know. Oh, and we should totally have the Williams FW16 too.

Last edited:
Back